Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I Chickened Out!!!

I decided to bail on you folks. I canceled my Fire order while it was in the Shipping Soon phase (surprised that option was available).

I really need to know what the reading app looks like, and it bothers me that it wasn't shown in the demonstration at the press event. I'm thinking it's basically the Kindle Android App which is totally lackluster with little formatting options. I don't care about collections/tags on this device. B&N's Android app and NOOKcolor/tablet stock reader app are very good. Really surprised Amazon hasn't done more in this area, but hey, maybe they did!

I also need to know if you can download movie rentals.

So, if it's just the Amazon Android app and strictly streaming of videos, I can do that already on my Sony Tablet. I'm really anxious to see hands-on video of the reading app. I know I can use other reading apps on the Fire, and I plan to (if I buy). But I'm buying this device because of the Amazon ecosystem.

I still have the Touch on order. Anxious for that as well!

Last edited by SCION; 11-12-2011 at 01:50 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you already have an Android tablet, there's probably little if anything that you'd gain from the Fire, is there?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Now see, given Amazon's excellent return policy, I'd have definitely let the order go through. Nothing like having it in your own hands to decide if you like it and if it does what you want. If it doesn't? Send it back, and tell them why. MUCH more compelling to them, and they have a better chance of understanding what you want/expect and where they fell down.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, but I have specific reasons why I'm buying it. I can get my answers from you folks here in a few days. If I didn't have an Android tablet it would be a different story.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you already have an Android tablet, there's probably little if anything that you'd gain from the Fire, is there?
I'm buying it for the Amazon ecosystem and the size. It'll be a complement to the Kindle Touch as well, which is why the reading app is important to me. I want to be able to buy books from Amazon and sync across devices, but I don't like the reading experience with the Android app. Today I get my magazines through the Barnes and Noble Android app, but I would like to be able to give that up, and go through Amazon for all my reading content. Magazines in the Kindle Android app are terrible compared to B&N. Also, you can only download rented movies (for offline play) to certain devices. I'm hoping their own tablet is one of them.

Last edited by SCION; 11-12-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Congrats...for making a wise choice LOL
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I sync across devices,
But you HAVE to use Amazon's app to sync, afaik. Syncing is done on their servers, and they're not about to do it for 3rd party reading apps.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I decided to bail on you folks. I canceled my Fire order while it was in the Shipping Soon phase (surprised that option was available).

I really need to know what the reading app looks like, and it bothers me that it wasn't shown in the demonstration at the press event. I'm thinking it's basically the Kindle Android App which is totally lackluster with little formatting options. I don't care about collections/tags on this device. B&N's Android app and NOOKcolor/tablet stock reader app are very good. Really surprised Amazon hasn't done more in this area, but hey, maybe they did!

So, if it's just the Amazon Android app and strictly streaming of videos, I can do that already on my Sony Tablet. I'm really anxious to see hands-on video of the reading app. I know I can use other reading apps on the Fire, and I plan to (if I buy). But I'm buying this device because of the Amazon ecosystem.

I think as long as it hasn't actually shipped they will allow cancellation.

So did you cancel both Fire orders? I think you said you ordered two for your kids, but I might be thinking of someone else. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have once I get mine in a few days.

I'm actually very excited about the Kindle system now that they have Personal Documents that can sync farthest page read, highlighting, notes, etc. It was always a total PITA to have to maintain books separately on multiple devices if I was reading a modified book. Now I don't have to deal with that, and I'm also excited about the latest edition of K4PC which helps me tie it all together if I want to use my highlights and notes for research. I cannot get all that with Sony, B&N, Kobo, etc.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
Hi Scion:

Better check to make sure it's not off your credit card/bank account because mine was charged yesterday ...

Quote:

friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Another Kindle eBook Resource

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm actually very excited about the Kindle system now that they have Personal Documents that can sync farthest page read, highlighting, notes, etc. It was always a total PITA to have to maintain books separately on multiple devices if I was reading a modified book. Now I don't have to deal with that, and I'm also excited about the latest edition of K4PC which helps me tie it all together if I want to use my highlights and notes for research. I cannot get all that with Sony, B&N, Kobo, etc.
Amazon also offers this resource for memorization of your highlights and notes:

https://kindle.amazon.com/your_reading

I do my highlights on the 3rd Generation Kindle and type my notes in there from my PC. I go to the Daily Review Pane to review highlights and notes from books already read. They automatically show a different book every day.

If you borrow books from Kindle, you must click to Display All Books, not just Kindle purchased books. There you will see the highlights and notes from the borrowed books and pBooks as well.

I doubt if any other eBook publisher has a site like this.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #11
nickinev
Enthusiast
nickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the rough

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 1, K4, and Kindle Fire
After the Nook Tablet was announced I was very tempted to cancel, but decided to try it out the Fire first. I am also on the waiting list at Barnes and Noble, so if I do decide to go that route there will be one there for me. I've been going back and forth, so I think for me the only way I'll know is to try them for myself.

Nicole
nickinev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
But you HAVE to use Amazon's app to sync, afaik. Syncing is done on their servers, and they're not about to do it for 3rd party reading apps.
I'm not sure why you bring this up. I'm aware of that. I said I don't like the Android app, so I'm hoping that the Fire is a better reading experience. The bottom line is I won't be syncing anything if the Fire is basically the Kindle app because I won't buy it and I won't use the Kindle Android app on my current tablet. I'll still use the Touch regardless because I need an eInk device.

I really enjoyed reading on the stock NOOKcolor reading app, so I have high expectations. Barnes and Noble did very well in this area.

Last edited by SCION; 11-12-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #13
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I'm not sure why you bring this up. I'm aware of that.
Well it's just that you go out of your way to say that you dislike amazon's reader apps...but you HAVE to use them for the sync'n, which you say you do. I was just a little confoozled, is all. :P
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Well it's just that you go out of your way to say that you dislike amazon's reader apps...but you HAVE to use them for the sync'n, which you say you do. I was just a little confoozled, is all. :P
Right, I don't like the Android app. That doesn't mean that the Fire is using that, does it? No one knows. Have you seen the reading app? I've looked at the YouTube video of the gentleman doing the demonstration. He never opens a book.

The NOOKcolor/tablet doesn't make use of the Android app. There are similarities, but there are differences as well.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Right, I don't like the Android app. That doesn't mean that the Fire is using that, does it? No one knows. Have you seen the reading app? I've looked at the YouTube video of the gentleman doing the demonstration. He never opens a book.

The NOOKcolor/tablet doesn't make use of the Android app. There are similarities, but there are differences as well.
I don't recall seeing the reading app demonstrated either. I hope we are pleasantly surprised with a great app! However, I'm realistically thinking it won't be much better than what the Android and iPad apps are, but we can hope. After all, I think the reader app on the KFire is supposed to support KF8 formatting from the get go, so it probably isn't the standard Android app. Once again, who knows though as any thing can happen here.