Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
People Recognize my Ereader ... Can I Pretend its a Geiger Counter?

Confession time: I am a reading addict, and I have always taken my books everywhere. When I drive, I have my ereader read out loud to me, and when I walk I carry a book with me.

For the last 10 to 15 years, I'd read by looking at an electronic device (from PDA through to present day). For some reason, no one ever commented when I walked and looked at an electronic device, or even an ereader in recent years.

However, now everyone knows what ereaders look like. Now, I get questions and smirks all the time. 'Watcha reading. It must be good since you can't put it down.' 'Look out, reading and walking at the same time you will run into something.'

When no one knew what an ereader was, I guess I looked like a busy businessman and didn't get any comments. Increasingly, however, I am now getting lots of snippy remarks.

I guess I need to shop for some kind of case that disguises my ereader as some mysterious gadget. Maybe a flat panel geiger counter? I can say I'm looking for fall out from the earthquakes in Japan?
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
If you get a small tablet ... Maybe a Samsung Note or one of their media players you could fit it into the case to a flat screen oscilliscope (maybe a nice fluke model).

It would make the reader huge, but think of the battery life you could stuff into one of those cases.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #3
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Smartphone.

Yes, that's a serious suggestion.

My Sony and the Kindle app are both on my phone, and so is my Kobo app. I also have Aldiko on there, for my Smashwords and OmniLit books. You can do nothing but read all day, and as long as you have a good poker face (and access to chargers!) you can make anyone around you believe you're reading news and sports feeds, checking Facebook, or playing lame games.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:56 AM   #4
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Shouldn't really read while walking in a public space, IMO.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:52 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Shouldn't really read while walking in a public space, IMO.
I read audiobooks while I'm driving
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2012, 04:56 AM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Pretend it's a bible.

People stop talking to you real quick.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:27 AM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Smartphone.

Yes, that's a serious suggestion.

My Sony and the Kindle app are both on my phone, and so is my Kobo app. I also have Aldiko on there, for my Smashwords and OmniLit books. You can do nothing but read all day, and as long as you have a good poker face (and access to chargers!) you can make anyone around you believe you're reading news and sports feeds, checking Facebook, or playing lame games.
Same here. I read on the smartphone while I'm out except when waiting for the doctor/dentist (e.g. when taking the bus or train, etc). Less comments that way and it's easier to pocket the phone than putting the reader back in the bag.

It's annoying having people ask me about the reader when I'm in the middle of reading something. When someone asks me "Is that a Kindle?", I've long stopped explaining that it's a Sony Reader and just say yes to avoid a lengthy conversation.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Confession time: I am a reading addict, and I have always taken my books everywhere. When I drive, I have my ereader read out loud to me, and when I walk I carry a book with me.

For the last 10 to 15 years, I'd read by looking at an electronic device (from PDA through to present day). For some reason, no one ever commented when I walked and looked at an electronic device, or even an ereader in recent years.

However, now everyone knows what ereaders look like. Now, I get questions and smirks all the time. 'Watcha reading. It must be good since you can't put it down.' 'Look out, reading and walking at the same time you will run into something.'

When no one knew what an ereader was, I guess I looked like a busy businessman and didn't get any comments. Increasingly, however, I am now getting lots of snippy remarks.

I guess I need to shop for some kind of case that disguises my ereader as some mysterious gadget. Maybe a flat panel geiger counter? I can say I'm looking for fall out from the earthquakes in Japan?
I even read when eating if I am dinning alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Same here. I read on the smartphone while I'm out except when waiting for the doctor/dentist (e.g. when taking the bus or train, etc). Less comments that way and it's easier to pocket the phone than putting the reader back in the bag.

It's annoying having people ask me about the reader when I'm in the middle of reading something. When someone asks me "Is that a Kindle?", I've long stopped explaining that it's a Sony Reader and just say yes to avoid a lengthy conversation.
I usually am asked "is that a Kindle". I have also stopped telling people that is is a Nook Color. If I do then I have to stop reading and explain the difference.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Doesn't everyone?

It's that or watch network news and the news are too slanted and depressing anyway...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I'm not sure where the "alone" comes into the picture . I just read while I'm eating, period .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
I read in the Summer while walking in the local park; it's a large 1 mile loop/track. It's easy to read and walk along without running into anyone . No bikers allowed on the path, just walkers.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not sure where the "alone" comes into the picture . I just read while I'm eating, period .
Me too, I don't care if I am in a restaurant with my husband, out comes my book or usually whatever ereader I am carrying.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #13
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Ya know, the snippy "Look out" might have been a helpful suggestion!

Another disguise...
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If I can get my wife to read while eating then that works great. If she is not and wants to "talk" then it is easier and more peaceful to listen. She is Italian.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #15
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
To guarantee absolute privacy while reading, I would camouflage the reader in a largish black box. Stick some yellow tape on one side to create warning stripes, put a handle on the other side and a probe-like thing on the front, then put on a bio-hazard suit whenever you leave the house. Voila, privacy is now more or less assured.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote