Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
drozzy
Edge User

$100 for shipping to Canada?

$100 for shipping of "2lb" device? Wow, that is really expensive.
What gives?

Old 04-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
sarah11918
Edge User

I had to pay $100 to have the device shipped from a US address to me here in Mexico. So, it's comparable to what I was quoted in shipping, though I can't explain why.

I have yet to hear about duty to Canada, though. I also had to pay about another $100US in customs/duty when it arrived here. I would expect to also get hit with duty in Canada, just be warned.

Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
aidren
Edge User

Hi, I just joined the forum. Yes, the shipping to Canada shocked me as well. I live close to the border so I had it shipped to a receiving company in Point Roberts, WA. Cost of their service $2.75. Cost of shipping from Entourage $28 (that's the expedited service) ...Although, I shouldn't be gloating as I haven't picked it up yet (it should be here tomorrow or Wednesday) and I am expecting to be dinged for at least the taxes at the border which should be about $65. It's interesting, Boris, that you didn't have to pay them. I'll post an update when I get it. I'm not sure if I will have duty to pay or not. I think it depends whether is says Made in USA on the package. If it doesn't I might have to pay another 6%. .... Oh well, at least our dollars are pretty much at par....

Old 04-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
aidren
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by drozzy View Post
$100 for shipping of "2lb" device? Wow, that is really expensive.
What gives?
I actually looked into this before I ordered. It's not just Entourage. It happens across the board. I was talking to someone who purchased a coffee mug online for $5 and had to pay close to $30 to have it shipped across the border. I don't know whether its the carriers or if it has something to do with Canada Post and Customs.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
aidren
Edge User

Yes. When I was digging around on that, I found out that Fedex charges pretty much double for the brokerage fees than many of the other carriers.

Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 01:10 AM   #6
captain_geek
Edge User

I paid the ~$35 to get it shipped to Canada and didn't have any duty costs to pay ... the Fedex tracking was fun to watch and I would typically check it every 6 hours or so until it was signed for ... anytime I've bought something from the U.S. I expect to get shafted for fees and shipping <grin>

Old 04-13-2010, 01:51 AM   #7
aidren
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_geek View Post
I paid the ~$35 to get it shipped to Canada and didn't have any duty costs to pay
Only $35. When did you buy it?

Old 04-13-2010, 07:53 AM   #8
alefor
Edge User

Listening to all this, I am happy I had mine shipped to California then picked it up and brought it back to Japan. It was pretty funny since I had 2 eDGe's, 5 iPads and a laptop all in my luggage. Going thru security was hilarious.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
aidren
Edge User

I just went to the E store to look at shipping cost for the pens.... $30 for the pens.... $52+ for shipping!!!! THAT JUST CAN'T BE RIGHT!

Old 11-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #10
borisb
Edge User

Pens could be put into a cardboard envelope, so a "flat rate" box wouldn't even be necessary. You can try calling Sales and see what they can do.

One thing I have noticed with all shipments from enTourage is that I pay no duty or taxes - it's as if the shipping covers all costs.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #11
HardBall
Edge User

Wow, that's insane!

I used to ship stuff to an acquaintance in Ottawa (some computer components), and that cost only $12 or so on USPS; how does shipping come out to be that much?

They should look for some more cost effective shipping services.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #12
borisb
Edge User

enTourage uses Fedex, which is not the cheapest courier, but generally has solid service.

US companies typically charge $20-$30 "shipping *and* handling" (due to the commercial invoice and export procedures). The customs broker often adds $10-$20 handling. Then, for many parts of Canada, there's a 13% tax applied. So, $20+$20+$5 = $45 - not far from the $52 quoted by aidren (note that $52 might be for the 1-3 day express service (aidren doesn't say) rather than slower 3-7 day service). Remember that in my experience I don't pay customs or tax, so the "$45" would be paid to enTourage and I'd pay nothing more.

Likewise, the original shipments of the $499 enTourage eDGe had a $100 1-3 day shipping charge to Canada, and I paid nothing COD. For $499, the tax would be $65, the brokerage fee $10-$20, which leaves $15-$25 shipping.

So, add everything up you have to pay end-to-end if it were all broken down separately and then see if the all-in-one shipping charge isn't that bad.

Furthermore, if something ships in a box, the shipping cost usually doesn't care if it's a $20 ink cartridge or a $500 tablet since the box it ships in is about the same size and not oversized/overweight. If the company can ship it in an envelope (such as the ink cartridge, or replacement pens), then the shipping cost can be reduced dramatically, although you'll still pay the brokerage fees and taxes based on the value of the contents, not the size/weight.

Going with USPS or UPS, for example, might be cheaper at the checkout, but you'll pay brokerage fees and tax at the door.

Last edited by borisb; 11-26-2010 at 04:58 PM.