Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-06-2011, 06:15 AM   #1
Einder
Einder began at the beginning.

Device: none
Talking E Ink just gave me a free ereader...

Okay, I've hardly ever visited this site (so far, that's going to change now), but I have to offer a bit of viral marketing for E Ink Corporation...

In the beginning of March, I entered a competition that allowed you to win an ereader. I didn't win, as I didn't read the question properly, but apparently I gave some enthousiastic suggestions for the future of E Ink, as I was contacted Sriram K. Peruvemba, chief marketing officer of E Ink Corporation. He had received my feedback from Rita Toews, who ran the competition on 'read an ebook week', and was happy enough with it to offer me a alternative prize Fed Ex delivered it today... I'm now the very proud owner of a Sony PRS650 ereader!

I am really very impressed that E Ink gives that kind of attention to what we, the readers, have to say about the future of ereading and their efforts. And I wasn't even 'sucking up', I gave some stiff criticism as well, even told them Mirasol will likely wipe its feet on E Ink, technology-wise, if it ends up doing what it claims to do, but I also tried to suggest they focus on dedicated ereaders, making them as cheap yet as good as possible, as Mirasol will likely be offered at pretty high price. I also suggested they venture in selling 'stand-alone' e-inkscreens that you can plug into separately sold readers as a future market niche, allowing them to sell stuff themselves. Who knows? Anyway, 3 cheers for E Ink and for Sriram Peruvemba! and

Einder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Congratulations! They certainly didn't skimp on the ereader. They went top of the line for a 6" device.

Wanna swap it for a used 1st gen Kobo and a defective Kindle 3 cover?

...and welcome to the forum
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Oh wow, Einder! That's so cool of them!

Welcome to the board, and don't forget to check out the free ebook section
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Congratulations. You can't beat a situation like that. I'm sure it was a very pleasant surprise.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Hooray for reading!

I like the idea of swappable readers and displays, produced as cheaply as possible. Eventually we will get there, and then you'll be able to buy used ereader parts at the Goodwill.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Woohoo! Congrats!!! You sure got a top quality reader there!!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Congrats! I don't know what the original prize was, but I assure you that you got the BEST ereader!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
How nice for you! Congratulations -- and ENJOY!
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Welcome to Mobileread!

That is very nice of E Ink Corp. I really do wish E Ink Corp. well. They're the one who actually went and deliberately set out to make screens suitable for ebook readers.

But I too think that if Mirasol actually deliver even a half of what they're promising, they're going to wipe the floor with E Ink.

I suspect E Ink's best bet is to concentrate on contrast, resolution and robustness. It's crazy that the E Ink screens in use at the moment are still so fragile.

If we could get an E Ink screen that's another 30% brighter, with 300dpi, and without a glass substrate, I think it would hold its own in ebook readers against fancier screens that didn't have the same contrast, resolution and robustness.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #10
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Be warned - don't expect that kind of interest, service, and customer care from Sony !

But enjoy, it's a terrific tool.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #11
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Congrats. I hope you enjoy it.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #12
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Impressive.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #13
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Ditto what everyone else has said. I always like to give business to companies who actually listen to their customers.

Congrats!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:25 AM   #14
Einder
Einder began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the replies and the warm welcome As for the comment made by Pdurrant about the fragility of the displays, I also mentioned that in my feedback, and Sriram Peruvemba suggested the video at this link: http://www.eink.com/rugged.html
Looks like the displays are not necessarily the most fragile part anymore

I do have one question though, about battery life.. the battery came what looked like a full charge; I spent so much time with hooked to my computer, that at the end of the day (april 4th) the display said: battery completely charged or something like that.
This morning, however, the reader was off, and switching it on, it said: battery empty, and switched off again. Of course, I did not manage to make 7000 pageturns in these few days.. so is that battery life that bad, does it get better after a few charges, or do I have a faulty battery?
Einder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #15
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Some devices require three or four full charges to set the gauge correctly. Also, if you have a wall charger with the unit, those tend to charge more quickly. I think the real life instances of faulty batteries are actually pretty low. Your luck is probably on your side.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote