Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Suggestion for Next FW Update: Bluetooth

Greetings,

One thing that I really love about this device is the bluetooth connectivity. I can download an epub book on my phone and then send it wirelessly to the Kobo. The only downside to this function is that I must first plug the device in to my charger or my computer before the transfered books will show up. My suggestion is that in the next firmware upgrade the device should be forced to update its database at the conclusion of a Bluetooth session. At the very least, some way to manually force an update without having to plug in the device would be nice.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
FrankKau
FrankKau began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Wouldn't sticking a pin in the back force an update? Not that you'd want to be doing that all the time.
FrankKau is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Wouldn't powering off and back on do the same? I haven't used the bluetooth features yet so I really don't know.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:26 AM   #4
jankrix
Enthusiast
jankrix began at the beginning.

Device: [Original] Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Greetings,

One thing that I really love about this device is the bluetooth connectivity. I can download an epub book on my phone and then send it wirelessly to the Kobo. The only downside to this function is that I must first plug the device in to my charger or my computer before the transfered books will show up. My suggestion is that in the next firmware upgrade the device should be forced to update its database at the conclusion of a Bluetooth session. At the very least, some way to manually force an update without having to plug in the device would be nice.

Luqman
can I assume that your phone is Blackberry? because if KOBO actually support all phone with bluetooth I might add this as a "plus" point for KOBO, I use Symbian device btw
jankrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Greetings,

Luqman
What's the point of having bluetooth connectivity if you still have to plug the kobo into a computer get the books? I thought it was supposed to be a way to get books on the fly. I can't use it yet because apparently it doesn't support the BB Curve 8330, but I could have used my hubby's Storm. That bites
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
What's the point of having bluetooth connectivity if you still have to plug the kobo into a computer get the books? I thought it was supposed to be a way to get books on the fly. I can't use it yet because apparently it doesn't support the BB Curve 8330, but I could have used my hubby's Storm. That bites
I've successfully added books via bluetooth, using my blackberry bold...and I didn't need to connect it to my computer to sync. However, what it did do was dowload only the book I was adding at the time, and removed all the others from my Kobo. So, I had to resync my Kobo using bluetooth again, this time clicking all the books in my 'I'm reading' list. Of course, that reset all the bookmarks to whatever was on the home site. I haven't tried it again since that day...too much work. The Kobo web site seems to store bookmarks and info about our reading list that doesn't sync well with the Kobo...either by direct sync or bluetooth sync. I've stopped updating my Kobo desktop software with the main site for that same reason...it keeps changing the bookmarks on my Kobo and/or resets 'finished' books to 'new'.
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
I've successfully added books via bluetooth, using my blackberry bold...and I didn't need to connect it to my computer to sync. However, what it did do was dowload only the book I was adding at the time, and removed all the others from my Kobo. So, I had to resync my Kobo using bluetooth again, this time clicking all the books in my 'I'm reading' list. Of course, that reset all the bookmarks to whatever was on the home site. I haven't tried it again since that day...too much work. The Kobo web site seems to store bookmarks and info about our reading list that doesn't sync well with the Kobo...either by direct sync or bluetooth sync. I've stopped updating my Kobo desktop software with the main site for that same reason...it keeps changing the bookmarks on my Kobo and/or resets 'finished' books to 'new'.
Sounds like a total pain. I agree that the desktop software needs to be fixed...asap. I want to be able to update my reader with the books I just purchased, not the ones I've already finished.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Sounds like a total pain. I agree that the desktop software needs to be fixed...asap. I want to be able to update my reader with the books I just purchased, not the ones I've already finished.

Exactly!
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
OK, folks - who is going to come up with a small Bluetooth device that one could wear on a finger that, when its button is pressed will turn a page in a Kobo? That is a cool feature of my wife's Kindle2: you can advance with either the left or right hand. Can Kobo go one better (grin) and do something wirelessly?
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #10
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Kobo's Michael Serbinis said on Twitter that Bluetooth sync with Apple products wasn't possible because Apple's supported Bluetooth protocols are very limited. Android should be doable however. I also asked him about opening up the kobo API and he sounded very receptive to the idea but I haven't heard back yet - I think this firmware upgrade has them all very busy. Could be some VERY interesting Bluetooth opportunities there however...
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #11
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Turning the device on and off and removing and re-inserting the SD card will not make it refresh the database and notice the files transfered via bluetooth. So far, the only way seems to be plugging it in. Note, however, that it doesn't have to be plugged in to a computer; I've gotten good results plugging my AC adaptor into it and the quickly un-plugging it. Hard to do it when I'm out, but it beats having to fire up a laptop when I'm at home or having to hunt around for a USB cord. Still, it would be nice if they would fix this so that either it would refresh the database automatically at the end of a BT session or would give us the option (maybe under settings/advanced) to refresh the database manually.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote