Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #16
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I write emails to the publisher when an ebook I am interested in has a delay or is priced more than the print version. I tell them that I would have bought the ebook (and in the case of delayed, I state I would never have bought the hardcover, which is true), but now because of their decision I'll be getting it used or from the library. Most recently, I wanted to get "The Swan Thieves" by Elizabeth Kostova, but that's delayed.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #17
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
This is a wonderful form of protest. Publishers don't care about some crank letters. Like any business, they care about the bottom line. If this is the price they pay for a tactic like this then they will be less inclined to use it next time. The author gets the short end but so did a bajillion e-reader owners who wanted to read this book when it was published.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #18
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I think that is is funny as hell... it shows the distaste of the readers when it comes to silly actions like ebook delays.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #19
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
the problem is that by doing that, the protesters are also harming the author.
Since people referenced in the book (both sides of the political spectrum)seem to e putting the author on the same accuracy level as Jason Blair, that may not be a bad thing.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #20
Rob G.
Enthusiast
Rob G. doesn't litterRob G. doesn't litter

The comments to the reviews are pretty priceless. I'm guessing it's because this is a political book and I know with those there tend to be tons of one star reviews for little reason, but wow, there are some grouchy people out there. I can think of a lot of better things to do with my time than to vote down and bitch out people who write Kindle protest reviews, but what do I know?

Oh and as others have mentioned, doing something like this, which could directly impact book sales, is about the only way I can see to get anyone's attention. As for all the people over there whining about the one star reviews, well, they've voted the "real" reviews way up and it's not like Amazon user reviews are the only place to get book reviews. And reading the "real" reviews is about as helpful as reading the Kindle votes. It seems people are either predisposed to love or hate this one based on their politics. Yes, I was legitimately interested in the title, but the user reviews really didn't tell me much. (It doesn't help that most of these self-important Amazon reviewers aren't worth a warm glass of spit anyway.)

Last edited by Rob G.; 01-15-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Rob G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #21
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur
P.X. Fort doesn't litterP.X. Fort doesn't litter

Device: JetBook Lite; EeePC 1005HA
I made this exact point on Monday of this week When I posted My post on this issue

Im glad that I wasn't just being loud mouth when I thought the same thing. Lets hope this helps to lite some fires.

"I guess I find irony in technological disagreement over the release of a book that elicits political disagreement"

Does this give the kindle users a bad rap though?

Last edited by P.X. Fort; 01-15-2010 at 02:11 PM.
P.X. Fort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #22
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Sure it harms the authors, but dodgy publisher tactics also harm the author in a way.

Ideally the author in question is big enough to turn to publishers and ask them what is going on and why his readers are upset (and resolve it).
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #23
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I think it's a shame that people are doing that, because I think customer reviews can be very useful when the system operates properly.
It is operating correctly. The book is deliberately been made unavailable, hence it is worth the minimum rating possible.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #24
Rob G.
Enthusiast
Rob G. doesn't litterRob G. doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.X. Fort View Post
Does this give the kindle users a bad rap though?
I really don't know. The reactions to those 1 star reviews seem so threatened by the idea of the Kindle, I don't think it really matters.
Rob G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #25
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I think the people doing this (I will admit I am one of them) are NOT speaking against Kindle or even Amazon. It is a particular policy by a publisher. That is really clear if you look at the one star reviews. Amazon and Kindle are just selling the product they are given.

Amazon is just number one, and to make a statement it makes sence to start there.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #26
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
the problem is that by doing that, the protesters are also harming the author.
Good. That's part of the point.

The publisher is already harming the author by reducing their sales doing this to begin with.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:38 PM   #27
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I like that action! It's the only visible way we have of showing our displeasure at publishers.
Actually someone brought up the idea the other day of making a list of books they will never buy because of such.

You actually *could* do that at Amazon, too, speaking of which. '

'Books I will never buy because of ebook delays' by a Reader, like lists of favorite architecture books, or books you hate etc. that you see on there.

I've tagged a bunch 'blacklist'.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:04 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think Amazon reviews should be limited to people who've actually purchased the product. That way we won't get all these bogus reviews and poor ratings from someone that has no clue what they are reviewing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:06 PM   #29
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

Amazon unlikely to go for that idea, because then they'd only get a small percentage of what they have now.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Amazon unlikely to go for that idea, because then they'd only get a small percentage of what they have now.
Then it means they'd get more valid reviews/ratings instead of invalid reviews/ratings.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote