Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
makincheez
makincheez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
I finally caved and bought it........

First off, thank you everyone for your welcoming nature, your great advice, and your patience. After much hand wringing and gnashing of teeth regarding the Expansys refurb deal and lack of stock in the US (and lack of patience on my part) I bought my silver 505 this morning at a local retailer. Gotta say I'm lovin' it! I used the Sony software to update the firmware and Calibre for everything else; worked great! I love "Maneaters of Tsavo" and books of that type (and era) and was fortunate to have found about 30 similar books right here. I can't wait to get started tonight as soon as I finish the Valentino Rossi autobio

I'm thinking of using the hack software for the sole purpose standardizing the size of the author and title fonts regardless of length. (short name=big font /long name=small font) Anything I should be careful of before I try it?

makincheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Congrats on the purchase!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by makincheez View Post
I'm thinking of using the hack software for the sole purpose standardizing the size of the author and title fonts regardless of length. (short name=big font /long name=small font) Anything I should be careful of before I try it?
Well, because the hacks are based on re-flashing your device you should be VERY careful. The PRSCustomizer is a great piece of software for applying the (very useful) hack you mentioned. Read the manual that comes with the PRSCustomizer, read it again...and maybe a third time. And then maybe...if you really want...at your own risk...

And last but not least: Welcome to the wonderful world of the PRS-505 users! You made the right choice.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Congrats! The change in font size in the menu doesn't bother me much (hacking it scares me too much anyway).

I hope you love your Reader as much as I love mine
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Congrats on your new reader!

As long as you're careful and follow the directions, hacking your reader isn't that difficult, and in my opinion well worth it.

I hacked mine several months ago, not too long after the Jeff Elkins released his first version of the customizer. I did have a little problem can't remember what it was now, but was able to work it out without too many problems.

I really like having the uniform fonts and the clock in the lower right hand corner.

Happy reading!!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
makincheez
makincheez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I really like having the uniform fonts and the clock in the lower right hand corner.
Those and the "no right justification" changes were just what I wanted and it went off without a hitch!

Now it's perfect!
makincheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:09 PM   #7
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Well, since this is a new thread, it seems silly to start my own, but I just ordered mine today as well. I should get it late this week or early next week. I'm very excited.

One thing that finally convinced me was seeing how active and helpful this community seems to be.

The hacks sound great, but messing around with the Firmware makes me rather nervous. Can I be sure it won't make it so that if Sony makes updates later on, the hacks won't interfere? (Or is that a stupid question?)

Do most people around here use calibre or Sony's software? The reviews of Sony's software around here don't look positive.

One last question -- I saw something to the effect that you can't use both calibre and Sony's software; you need to use one or the other. What about multiple copies of the same program? I use three computers regularly (desktop at home, laptop + work computer), and I'd likely be adding files from all of them. Is that going to create synchronization issues?

Last edited by frabjous; 02-17-2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: typo
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:44 PM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
The hacks sound great, but messing around with the Firmware makes me rather nervous. Can I be sure it won't make it so that if Sony makes updates later on, the hacks won't interfere? (Or is that a stupid question?)

Do most people around here use calibre or Sony's software? The reviews of Sony's software around here don't look positive.

One last question -- I saw something to the effect that you can't use both calibre and Sony's software; you need to use one or the other. What about multiple copies of the same program? I use three computers regularly (desktop at home, laptop + work computer), and I'd likely be adding files from all of them. Is that going to create synchronization issues?
Hey, congrats on your purchase! Part of the customizer hack allows you to reset to the most recent firmware. (As instructed above, read the manual first!) So if there's a firmware upgrade, I watch and wait to see if any of the braver souls post problems, and if none, just upgrade as is.

You only have to worry about Sony vs. Calibre if you bought a PRS-500. And, even with a PRS-500 you can use both, you just can't send books to the Reader with both. So if you want to purchase books from Sony, you'll have to have it installed. But you can still install Calibre and just send books to a memory card instead of by attaching the reader (which is what I did for the first year, until I upgraded to the PRS-505).

On the other hand, Sony's software only works on Windows. So if you have a Mac, you won't be able to use it at all!

I only use Sony's software to download the occasional free ebooks offered by Sony Connect...and to occasionally upgrade my Reader's firmware...

HTH
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:50 PM   #9
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Enjoy the reader makincheez
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

It's here! Now I just have to wait for it to charge.... tap... tap... tap...

Grrrr... I hate waiting.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
It's here! Now I just have to wait for it to charge.... tap... tap... tap...

Grrrr... I hate waiting.
Download some of the wonderful books here at Mobile Read whilst it's charging?

Or just meander aimlessly through the llounge - you'll find the time has passed in a flash.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:47 PM   #12
frabjous
Wizard

Actually, I had to go proctor an exam... would have been a perfect opportunity to do some reading with it, though.

Anyway, it's charged now, and working well!

Just checking the forums for a moment before I hit the download section hard.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #13
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Quote:
What about multiple copies of the same program? I use three computers regularly (desktop at home, laptop + work computer), and I'd likely be adding files from all of them. Is that going to create synchronization issues?
There should be no problem here. I use 2 computers, each one with Sony software and Calibre. I open Sony only when I buy something from Sony store. Otherwise, I use Calibre. One of my computers has the main library, managed by Calibre. The other one is usually used for getting daily feeds. Each time you connect the reader to a computer, Calibre (if running) recognizes it and shows the content. It may automatically download news and send to the reader if you chose so. No automatic syncing with library, you need to send non-feed files to reader manually.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote