Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Differences between Kindle (2011) and Kindle (2012)

While I was messaging Amazon support about international Kindle links, I took the opportunity to ask:
Quote:
Can you please advise, apart from the black bezel, is there any difference between the Kindle (2011) and the Kindle (2012)?
Their reply:
Quote:
I'd like to inform you that we have not made any changes in the 2012 kindle except the body color of kindle. also we have reduced the price of kindle it is now $10 cheaper than the original kindle device.
BTW: The designations "Kindle (2011)" and "Kindle (2012)" are the ones used by Amazon support in replying to my first query about international links.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Early indications indicate there is one other change, quality control of the screens!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Early indications indicate there is one other change, quality control of the screens!
Yeah they are exactly same except Amazon has probably switched manufacturers or something like that for screen quality. Also the back on the K4B has a different finish. It the same backing as the Kindle Fire now making it way easier to hold with one hand. No more slippage but you now have to worry about staining the back from the oil on your hands.

My K4S is stained on the back from my cover. It looks ugly.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Isn't it just the one report, really?

My K4S screen is as contrast-y as every K4B I've seen so far* -- which doesn't necessarily preclude better quality control, maybe I have a really good unit, but I still think it's a bit soon to say the K4B has 'consistently better' screens or that they have 'probably' switched manufacturers.

*even better after the 4.1 update, but that's just because of the font tweak
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flandroid View Post
Isn't it just the one report, really?

My K4S screen is as contrast-y as every K4B I've seen so far* -- which doesn't necessarily preclude better quality control, maybe I have a really good unit, but I still think it's a bit soon to say the K4B has 'consistently better' screens or that they have 'probably' switched manufacturers.

*even better after the 4.1 update, but that's just because of the font tweak
It's not just one report but a few people have noticed this. Yes there are some good K4S out there but the alot of them had quality issues with poor contrast. If I had a nickle for every person last year that PM me or came to me about it I could buy an Agency book!

There are two here including me that have both gotten K4Bs with excellent contrast and I suspect you will see more and less problems than with last year's model.

Just so you know I don't use Amazon's Fonts on my K4s. So it's not due to enhanced fonts.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Was it Kindle support you contacted or regular Amazon support? I don't think regular Amazon support is as well versed on the ins and outs of Kindles as Kindle support.

The buy page for the new $69 Kindle (2012) touts 15% faster page turns and darker fonts.

Quote:
15% faster page turns
New darker, hand-tuned fonts for easier reading
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Was it Kindle support you contacted or regular Amazon support? I don't think regular Amazon support is as well versed on the ins and outs of Kindles as Kindle support.

The buy page for the new $69 Kindle (2012) touts 15% faster page turns and darker fonts.
The old K4 has this too but the quality of screen vary. Best Buy now has the K4Bs if people want to compare theirs. Maybe I will do that this weekend. I can see them strangely looking at me now.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Just so you know I don't use Amazon's Fonts on my K4s. So it's not due to enhanced fonts.
I'm aware, which is why I kept it for a footnote and downplayed it saying it was just the tweak that made it look better. It was already great to begin with. Better than my K3.

Anyway, I'm glad your K4B is creamy and contrast-y.

daffy4u: Both of those improvements are 4.1 firmware improvements.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
I received my "2012" a few hours ago and it is clearer (lighter screen) than my 2011. I am not sure if the contrast is better because of the black but it is a better reading experience for me and I am glad I got it.

Now, I wonder what I can get for my 2011 (with a stained back from the cover)? :-)
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I received my "2012" a few hours ago and it is clearer (lighter screen) than my 2011. I am not sure if the contrast is better because of the black but it is a better reading experience for me and I am glad I got it.

Now, I wonder what I can get for my 2011 (with a stained back from the cover)? :-)
My K4S has a stained back too.
Not sure you'll get much for it. Mine now stays upstairs.

The contrast on my K4B is so good even with a custom font it makes it easy to read in lower light so I've been reading in my favorite spot like I use to when I had only my K3
Old 09-20-2012, 12:55 AM   #11
noisy
noisy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
The box is black!!

BTW. here you can see unboxing, author promise, that video with comparison to Kindle 2011 also will be made.

noisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisy View Post
The box is black!!
Yeah I was like when I unwrapped mine that came in a regular cardboard wrapping to find this tiny I do mean tiny black box.

Just finished the second sit down reading with my K4B it's a wonderful little eReader. Perfect for travel. I think anyone who has waited and doesn't like touch screen this one you will fall in love with.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I preordered the PW and was going to keep last year's K4 for the beach and wherever zip lock bags are required. (And, just because I like the format and the physical page turn buttons.) After reading this and Blossom's other thread I am considering replacing that one with the new K4B, but, same here: what am I going to do with the old one? I already gave K4s to my entire family last Christmas, Amazon will give you pennies back for it, and I can't ship it internationally* because of the new USPS policy that forbits lithium ion operated devices to be shipped through them internationally. Maybe I'll take it to Germany in the winter and try to sell it on ebay.de. The K4B is €79 over there, so I may still make a few bucks more than on ebay.com on it.

Hm.
Edited to add:*This matters because kindles are more expensive and sometimes unavailable in certain international markets, so I would be able to get more for it if I offer it internationally, and at the same time would know somebody would get it who wants it but can't purchase it through Amazon.

Last edited by xendula; 09-23-2012 at 10:22 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I preordered the PW and was going to keep last year's K4 for the beach and wherever zip lock bags are required. (And, just because I like the format and the physical page turn buttons.) After reading this and Blossom's other thread I am considering replacing that one with the new K4B, but, same here: what am I going to do with the old one? I already gave K4s to my entire family last Christmas, Amazon will give you pennies back for it, and I can't ship it internationally* because of the new USPS policy that forbits lithium ion operated devices to be shipped through them internationally. Maybe I'll take it to Germany in the winter and try to sell it on ebay.de. The K4B is €79 over there, so I may still make a few bucks more than on ebay.com on it.

Hm.
Edited to add:*This matters because kindles are more expensive and sometimes unavailable in certain international markets, so I would be able to get more for it if I offer it internationally, and at the same time would know somebody would get it who wants it but can't purchase it through Amazon.

Sounds like a plan. I don't know what I will do my Silver. I am stilling using it nightly but once I get a PW I wont need mine. My back is horribly stained from the Marware cover I own so it's useless to try and sell it.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #15
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
I sold mine with the case that stained it. :-) I only sold it for $25. since the warranty is only good for another month or so but I have seen them sold on Craigslist for more than new devices.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote