Notices

Old 07-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
libeluratio
libeluratio began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Question to pocketboot pro 902/912 users

Hello everybody !

First, sorry for my English, I am French :/

I plan to buy a pocketbook pro 902/912 in order to read comics. But I think they don't accept .cbz files, right ?

Do they accept .zip files ? So I could rename my .cbz's to .zip's because they are both archives with pictures files inside.

If they can't read .zip files with pictures inside either, how do you read comic books ?

Thank you very much
libeluratio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by libeluratio View Post
Hello everybody !

First, sorry for my English, I am French :/

I plan to buy a pocketbook pro 902/912 in order to read comics. But I think they don't accept .cbz files, right ?

Do they accept .zip files ? So I could rename my .cbz's to .zip's because they are both archives with pictures files inside.

If they can't read .zip files with pictures inside either, how do you read comic books ?

Thank you very much
There is an application for reading cbz/cbr image archives available here for download: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162852 As far as renaming goes, you need to change the name of .zip files to .cbz for the software to work. For some reason, the pocketbook Library software doesn't pass on zip files to the application. Oh, and your English is very good.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
libeluratio

Waaaaa, it seems like you really did a wonderful job ! :O . I'm excited to buy my pocketbook to try this app !

One question: does this app allow you to manage a sort of library of your cbz's (displaying covers etc) ? Or do you "just" launch it, choose your cbz from a list (with no pictures) and it displays your comic book ?

Thank you
Old 07-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libeluratio View Post
Waaaaa, it seems like you really did a wonderful job ! :O . I'm excited to buy my pocketbook to try this app !

One question: does this app allow you to manage a sort of library of your cbz's (displaying covers etc) ? Or do you "just" launch it, choose your cbz from a list (with no pictures) and it displays your comic book ?

Thank you
The pocketbook devices have a Library application that you use to pick the book you want to read. When you select the book, it looks at the suffix of filename, and then launches the correct application for that file. You can define what applications are chosen for each suffix yourself, which is how support for the cbz/cbr files is added. You can even define multiple applications and choose from a list when opening the book. It is nicely extensible.

The Library app can show the books in directory/folder mode, or can organize them according to the tags on each book. I just stick to directory-mode, so I can't say much about how well the tag organization works. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

That said, the Library app doesn't understand cbz/cbr files, so it won't get any cover images or tags from them. That is one of the reasons I stick to file/directory display mode.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
rkomar
Wizard

I should also say that you can operate the image viewing application only with the buttons on a 902 device (which is what I do). However, I suspect it is much easier to scroll the desired amount using the stylus on the 912. The 912 is more expensive, but it might be worth it to you just for that.
Advert
Old 07-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
libeluratio

Ok thank you so much, I guess I will see all of that when I get my pro 912 in my hands . In the french website of pocketbook, pro 902 has disappeared and is now replaced by pro 912 as the same price (250€, 304$). Because I know I am going to be a very huge comicbooks eater, I will let you know on your topic what I think of the app when I finished some books
Old 07-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
starr974
Connoisseur
starr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad
hi,

im french too, so scuse my bad english!

i want to buy this pocketbook too
Where did you find it at 250 euros? i can't find it.
I have a lot of scans mangas too, and i want to know if you can see the covers of each mangas (.cbz/.cbr) like an Ipad sotfware?
Can you read very good inside the bubble (for dialogue for exemple?)
Can you show the double page on the screen of pocketbook? (because manga scans are double pages....)
Thanks for your help!
starr974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
starr974
Connoisseur
starr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enough

ah and another question:

can we emulate the pocketbook on the computer?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
libeluratio

It is 250€ on the official french pocketbook webstore but currently out of stock :/. As rkomar said, apparently, in library mode you can't see the cbz covers but in browsing mode, you can. I've tested myself a cbz on a kobo touch (6 inches screen) and it is quite readable, so with the 9.7 inches screen of the PB 912, I am not afraid at all . I don't plan to read mangas scanned in double-page by amateurs but official releases such as scantrad.fr etc, so I can't help you on that. It seems that, thanks to the sdk, you can emulate the pocketbook but I didn't tried yet
Old 07-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #10
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by starr974 View Post
ah and another question:

can we emulate the pocketbook on the computer?
You can build applications yourself with the SDK, and compile them for the ARM devices or for the x86 PC. That's about as far as the emulation goes.

The device has an ARM CPU, and the pre-built executables are compatible with the Debian Lenny armel distribution. However, I doubt that the E-Ink specific display code in the applications will work off of the devices without some serious work.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #11
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by starr974 View Post
...I have a lot of scans mangas too, and i want to know if you can see the covers of each mangas (.cbz/.cbr) like an Ipad sotfware?
Can you read very good inside the bubble (for dialogue for exemple?)
Can you show the double page on the screen of pocketbook? (because manga scans are double pages....)
Thanks for your help!
The pbimageviewer app does not take two separate images and show them together as a double page. It would not be easy to do because of the way the display code was originally written, so I do not think I would add such functionality.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #12
starr974
Connoisseur

thanks both for your answers
Now i dont know what ereader i will choose between this one and ONYX M92....
Maybe i need to watch more video on youtube^^
Old 07-31-2012, 06:42 AM   #13
starr974
Connoisseur

so libeluratio, what do you think about the 912 after few days to read mangas?^^
Old 08-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #14
starr974
Connoisseur

Any feedback?
Old 09-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #15
AliceRoared
AliceRoared began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 902
I wanted to ask if the 912 has the option to switch off the automated turning to landscape or portrait when you turn it sideways? The 902 did and I loved that feature.
AliceRoared is offline   Reply With Quote