Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton
I disagree with those who are saying that I have no right to modify something that I can hold with my hands.
I can think of a lot of things you can hold in your hands, that you have no right to modify.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #17
jimh12345
Connoisseur
jimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it is

Device: kindle
My own opinion is that I own it, and I can do whatever I want with it. I'm not renting this device, I bought it. I don't buy the idea that I'm just 'licensing' the software; I feel I own a copy of that software and I can modify it.

I suggest that everybody just chill on the ethical question. Amazon sells these knowing that the clickthrough rate will be low and that a certain number of people will reconfigure ('hack') them to skip the ads. I'm confident Amazon isn't losing money on this KSO even if I never see or click on an ad, and isn't concerned about the small number of users who modify their units to remove the ads. No one expects an ad campaign to be 100% efficient and I suggest it's somewhat up to Amazon to provide more interesting/targeted/aesthetically pleasing ads if they want my attention on them. If I skip TV commercials, have I behaved unethicially?

Last edited by jimh12345; 05-22-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #18
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
Yes if you bought TV and said that for $25 less you WILL watch commercials.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you don't want the ads, buy a K3 without the ads. Simple really.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #20
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
I think some of the offers on this Kindle are pretty attractive. I heard someone say that today they can get 6 audio books for $6. That's a heck of a deal.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #21
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I have read somewhere that if you do factory reset you will not get ads, not even the message prompting you to switch on the WiFi so ads could be downloaded.
If you switch on the WiFi after factory reset, your Kindle WILL download the ads, or at least the message promoting you to switch on the WiFi, if you created that .assets file.

So you have to decide, do you want WiFi and ads, or you can do without.

I will not comment on moral aspect. I too go to the kitchen or to toilet when there are ads in TV, not during programs. I too rewind ads in TV programs I have recorded.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
i'm unawawe what is meant by 'TW'. post 9 as displayed in firefox on my win 7 computer is an empty post (like blank)???
YW = you're welcome; and it displays on my FireFox in Win 7. Try a Google images search using "kindle with ads". There's a sample on page seven.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
@Tubemonkey Did Amazon request that you repeatedly gaze at the ads on your KSO before you bought it?
They threatened to send Apple's Swat Team over to my house if I didn't.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #24
yijiao
yijiao began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3, kobo 1st gen
i had to get a KSO cause i'm from canada and the target i went to briefly ran out of the $139 versions

haven't given it a chance to download ads yet as i've had wifi turned off the whole time

the other thing i'm missing is collections, but i don't have enough books to need it yet
Old 05-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #25
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Wink duh!! thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
YW = you're welcome; and it displays on my FireFox in Win 7. Try a Google images search using "kindle with ads". There's a sample on page seven.
duh! i was so focused asking someone who had one and had photographed their own kso i neglected to even think of google images.

i've never encountered 'YW' before, but then i text very infrequently and don't have a smartphone.

another question, it appears (deducing from info on the photo) that probably the statement that 'there's a small banner on the bottom of the home page' is accurate and the subsequent pages have the usual 10 listed items per page rather than the 9 items plus the banner on page 1, am i correct?

thanks

Last edited by alansplace; 05-22-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #26
jimh12345
Connoisseur
jimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it is

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Histerius View Post
Yes if you bought TV and said that for $25 less you WILL watch commercials.
But I never promised Amazon anything. I just bought the product at the price they asked.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #27
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh12345 View Post
My own opinion is that I own it, and I can do whatever I want with it. I'm not renting this device, I bought it. I don't buy the idea that I'm just 'licensing' the software; I feel I own a copy of that software and I can modify it.

I suggest that everybody just chill on the ethical question. Amazon sells these knowing that the clickthrough rate will be low and that a certain number of people will reconfigure ('hack') them to skip the ads. I'm confident Amazon isn't losing money on this KSO even if I never see or click on an ad, and isn't concerned about the small number of users who modify their units to remove the ads.
I agree with this. You own the device and the copy of the software on it, and you can therefore do whatever you want to it. You might choose to remove these ads, and there is nothing wrong about this at all. But by during so you might also break the contract of services (if such was ''signed'' during the purchase). Consequently you might lose the right to get these special offers because you don't actually own this service. It's just an extension of the physical product, so to say. Now it's Amazon's own responsibility to enforce this if they choose to do so, and if they can do so legally. If they cannot, then that is just how it must be. It's simply in the nature of selling a phisical product.

These 'gray' areas is the only thing that stands between you and a future in which you don't actually even own the physical product anymore that you brought. There are many more of these 'gray' areas (buffers) in all parts of life, and we should perserve them, because the alternative is a much bigger theat then these could ever be to us.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 05-22-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #28
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree. You've voluntarily agreed to accept the advertising and (effectively) been paid $25 to do so. By disabling them, you're not fulfilling your side of the contract.
Or maybe by removing the ads, you're politely declining offers that cost them money. You could even go as far as saying it's your patriotic duty to help the economy by removing the ads and paying full price for everything.

I can't believe anyone sees this as a moral issue. Amazon didn't nail itself to a cross just to offer an ereader that's over a $100 and has adware installed on it. They did, however, have a gadget built overseas at sub-minimum wage and managed to sell it to a bunch of people with quaint notions that attached honor and virtue to not tampering with it.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #29
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
A quick related question; I have no WiFi and never go anywhere that has it free. If I get this version of the Kindle, I am assuming I won't get the ads but I also won't be able to register. What will I lose with an un-registered Kindle? I think they might register the Kindles before it is shipped; would I still need to get somewhere to register it?

Thanks
Old 05-23-2011, 07:52 AM   #30
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You will not be able to use Collections without turning on the WiFi at least once. If you live near a McDonalds you should be able to use the WiFi at least once. Or a Starbucks.
Closed Thread