Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
odt2epub
odt2epub began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
ODT2ePub updated

http://odt2epub.com (OpenDocument to ePub converter) is updated!

The new workflow involves no payments:
  1. Upload ODT
  2. Specify your email
  3. Receive link to ePub when the conversion is ready

Free ePub sample file contains a small advert after each page break.
Custom metadata is still in the works, as is a paid version which removes the ads and offers premium options.

Hope you can produce some quality ePubs!
Feedback is welcome - and stay tuned.
odt2epub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why is the example not good at all? The line spacing is way way too big and the margins are gigantic. This is not a good sample.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by odt2epub View Post
Feedback is welcome
Not only is it not free, I also have to upload the book to make it work. So basically that means you get a free copy of the book in addition to whatever payment you expect for an ad-free conversion (the idea of placing ads in a book is repulsive in the first place).

I don't see why I should use such a service when free alternatives exist. Converting a test document also revealed nothing that would make your solution superior to anything else.

Are people really so computer illiterate these days that they need a third party site to do a simple conversion task in their browser?
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:13 AM   #4
odt2epub
odt2epub began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hey, thanks for the feedback. This is still work in progress.

Our objectives:
* control as much of the layout in OpenOffice
* customization options for metadata
* valid ePub output

The conversion engine is based on one used in publishing industry, so we aim at quality. We will focus entirely on conversion quality after the web interface is done.
Could you name the free alternatives that do the same or better job?

The sample was converted as it was found, but yes, I should find some better ones.

The books are NOT used for anything after the conversion, if you're worried about that. I should include some Terms of Service I guess...
odt2epub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, epub, odt, odt to epub