Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #31
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Stanza Desktop is free to download and use with Stanza iPhone/iPad, 93terp.
You can also use Calibre to convert those .mobi files to ePub first-that way you can use them in both Stanza and iBooks thru drag and drop.
Downloaded Stanza Desktop & can confirm that I can now download .mobi files to my iPad via WiFi!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #32
tcmoon
Connoisseur
tcmoon is on a distinguished road

Device: slate pc
Ok my wife ordered an iPad for me and I have a couple of questions. I do not use a computer, so I can not transfer usb. I will use a program on my phone to give me WiFi access.
1. Need to view code books with graphs in PDF format, what's the best to use? How will I load my books?
2. What's is the best reader to use for regular books, I can convert to almost any format?

I'm guessing the easiest way to transfer books would be to email to Google & download using the iPad. I can send books to email but I can't connect to computer because of work and their security.
tcmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #33
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmoon View Post
Ok my wife ordered an iPad for me and I have a couple of questions. I do not use a computer, so I can not transfer usb.
You will need a computer to set the iPad up initially. Apple store staff may be able to do this for you.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #34
tcmoon
Connoisseur
tcmoon is on a distinguished road

Device: slate pc
I thought I read somewhere that you can setup without a computer, thanks I will do a little more checking.
tcmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #35
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Downloaded Stanza Desktop & can confirm that I can now download .mobi files to my iPad via WiFi!
Something is up with the download links for Stanza - I cannot access the Desktop client. Clicking the link to download the client in the right margin takes me to a page containing download links for iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad - nothing for a desktop client.

Have they taken the desktop version down?

-- Rique
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #36
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rique View Post
Something is up with the download links for Stanza - I cannot access the Desktop client. Clicking the link to download the client in the right margin takes me to a page containing download links for iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad - nothing for a desktop client.

Have they taken the desktop version down?

-- Rique
Are you on a Mac, Rique?
http://www.lexcycle.com/download-macintosh
or Windows?
http://www.lexcycle.com/download-windows
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:07 PM   #37
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
Quote:
Hi kjk,

I can use either - but I definitely prefer the Mac - and your link worked!

Those links never displayed in Firefox or Safari - just links to the iPad/iPod/iPhone software.

Off to go fiddle with some DRM free .mobis ...

-- Riq
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmoon View Post
I thought I read somewhere that you can setup without a computer, thanks I will do a little more checking.
You do need a computer that runs either Windows or OS X. You have to use iTunes to setup the iPad and the account at Apple for access to iTunes/App store. Plus, the computer is how you keep the iPad backed up.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #39
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
Although we're a knowledgeable bunch, some questions might be better directed to Apple's official support forums, especially if it concerns hardware or iOS issues. Here are some handy links:

Apple iPad Support Forum

Apple iPhone Support Forum

Apple iPod Touch Support Forum

Apple iTunes Support Forum

Apple Support Forums
And more specifically for Mobileread:
iBooks: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Old 06-24-2010, 01:00 AM   #40
HDoug
HDoug began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone, MacBook
I want to read the pdf version of the June Scientific American on my iPad. The file is 20.9 MB and when I email it to the iPad, I get a "too big to open" error message. I've used Calibre to try to epub the pdf but that results in an extremely corrupted file that is unreadable. Any fixes or workarounds?

Doug
HDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:07 AM   #41
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDoug View Post
I want to read the pdf version of the June Scientific American on my iPad. The file is 20.9 MB and when I email it to the iPad, I get a "too big to open" error message. I've used Calibre to try to epub the pdf but that results in an extremely corrupted file that is unreadable. Any fixes or workarounds?

Doug
What are you trying to open the PDF in? Do you have GoodReader installed? It should be able to handle a 20MB file no problem.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:30 AM   #42
kjk

Quote:

Doug
For huge PDF files:
To read in iBooks-just drag the PDF to iTunes.
To read in Stanza-just drag the PDF to the File sharing area in iTunes.
To read in Goodreader-maybe put it in Dropbox and read it from there?
Old 06-24-2010, 06:21 AM   #43
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:

Doug
Have you tried drag and drop through iTunes?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #44
HDoug
HDoug began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone, MacBook
Quote:
For huge PDF files:
To read in iBooks-just drag the PDF to iTunes.
To read in Stanza-just drag the PDF to the File sharing area in iTunes.
To read in Goodreader-maybe put it in Dropbox and read it from there?
Thanks kjk and pshrynk. It seems so simple if you know the answer! I'm feeling dumb, but now I can read that article about time.

So can I ask another question? It seems that iBooks and Kobo both use the epub format. Can I buy something at Kobo and read it at iBooks? Seems weird, but I like the ability to look up, highlight, and notate in iBooks.

Doug
HDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #45
kjk

Quote:
Thanks kjk and pshrynk. It seems so simple if you know the answer! I'm feeling dumb, but now I can read that article about time.

So can I ask another question? It seems that iBooks and Kobo both use the epub format. Can I buy something at Kobo and read it at iBooks? Seems weird, but I like the ability to look up, highlight, and notate in iBooks.

Doug
Kobo's DRMed ePubs aren't compatible with iBooks, sadly. If they don't have DRM, then you can read them in iBooks.