Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-07-2018, 08:16 PM   #1
_spacemonkey
_spacemonkey began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
ImageMagick for 2.5.8 DXG anyone?

Hello,

Does anybody have ImageMagick binary for 2.5.8 DXG?

My goal is to do e.g a (primitive) countdown clock on my jailbreaked DXG.
Best case scenario would be to do it in javascript and Web Launcher, but WL does not seem to be supported for this old device.

Plan B is to combine together 2 or more .png images with a script, and use EIPS for viewing them.

In order to merge 2 .png files on the device i have so far tried:

- python (failed to install PIL or Pillow modules for image manipulaiton, maybe its possible to compile python modules somehow since pip install is not exactly supported?)
- java (could not get awt.Paint to work fully)
-ImageMagick, tried to use a compiled binary from a buildroot version i found on the web, but i am getting 'illegal instruction' when running it..so it was compled wrongly somehow i think.

Ps i dont need a gui, just something to combine images from command line
_spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:55 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Yup, we do.
And guess what, it is posted here.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030
See: "Screensaver for K2/DX/DXG/K3" archive.
Path: /ScreenSavers/src/linkss/bin/convert
(in this case, "src", indicates the source tree of binaries the install_*.bin packages are built with)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2018, 02:57 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
See also FBInk, which may help achieving your end goal in a somewhat more efficient manner .

Because let me tell you that otherwise, doing that in the most roundabout way possible is fantastically inefficient . (Don't use that, it's freakishly terrible ).

(My IM builds are fairly standalone-ish, but that -ish may matter here: zlib & libpng are dynamically linked, and it expects to find them in the usual ScreenSavers hack paths. Plus, IM itself expects to find some support files in a few circumstances, which, again, are setup for the ScreenSavers hack).

FBInk is completely standalone, on the other hand.

That still holds true for LuaJIT & Go bindings. Python is a tad bit more complex, but in the greater context of my Python package, it also works in a standalone-ish manner .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-08-2018 at 03:05 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:57 AM   #4
_spacemonkey

Thanks!

I only had to install the kindle-ss-0.47.N.tar instead of the kindle-ss-0.47.N-r15562.tar , since i did not find the DXG version in the 'snapshot' version.

But now it is there!

[root@kindle /]# cd /mnt/us/linkss/bin
[root@kindle bin]# ./convert
Version: ImageMagick 6.9.2-0 Q8 arm 2015-08-20 http://www.imagemagick.org
Usage: convert [options ...] file [ [options ...] file ...] [options ...] file

EDIT: Now i see the link about FBInk (and the link to the nice clock script ), i will totally test FBInk now instead of IM!

EDIT: just copied the FBink binary from kindle-usbnetwork-0.57.N-r15562.tar\kindle-usbnetwork-0.57.N-r15562\USBNetwork\src\usbnet\bin\fbink to the \ of the kindle, and it actually works OOB! (could not find a DXG version in the snapshot)

Last edited by _spacemonkey; 12-08-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:23 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _spacemonkey View Post
. . . . . .
EDIT: just copied the FBink binary from kindle-usbnetwork-0.57.N-r15562.tar\kindle-usbnetwork-0.57.N-r15562\USBNetwork\src\usbnet\bin\fbink to the \ of the kindle, and it actually works OOB! (could not find a DXG version in the snapshot)
You are using a PC OS or a PC OS setting that strips the compression extension.
You need to watch out for that, some of our things can not survive that handling.

- - - - -

What do you mean by: "could not find DXG version" (you have used it several times now)?
Since the program runs, it is obviously intended for your firmware version. (these are utilities that are not hardware model dependent, only firmware version dependent).
Advert
Old 12-08-2018, 11:39 AM   #6
_spacemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What do you mean by: "could not find DXG version" (you have used it several times now)?
Yeah bad way of expressing myself. Can't find a version that fits my firmware is maybe better. Got confused by install files named *dxg*.
I would like to install FBInk in a proper way and not copy it, but i failed to use the the snapshot version of USBNetwork where the FBInk is (update button is greyed out if i try to add kindle-usbnetwork-0.57.N-r15562\Update_usbnetwork_0.57.N_k2_dx_k3_install.b in)

Also, dont really understand what you mean by stripping 'compression extension'
Old 12-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Yeah bad way of expressing myself. Can't find a version that fits my firmware is maybe better. Got confused by install files named *dxg*.
I would like to install FBInk in a proper way and not copy it, but i failed to use the the snapshot version of USBNetwork where the FBInk is (update button is greyed out if i try to add kindle-usbnetwork-0.57.N-r15562\Update_usbnetwork_0.57.N_k2_dx_k3_install.b in)

Also, dont really understand what you mean by stripping 'compression extension'
".tar" is not the last extension in the archive's name.
".tar.xz" is the extension pair. ( .tar = type of archive, .xz = type of compression).
Some PC systems are set to uncompress anything that looks like it is compressed before the user ever sees it. Which is why you are not seeing the ".xz" compression type.

The contents of that compressed archive looks like the first attached image. (Ignore the -1 in the title bar, that is an artifact of my having the archive open in two different desktops.)

The package info of the highlighted install package is:
Code:
mszick@HP8300:~/work/USBNetwork$ kindletool convert --keep --info Update_usbnetwork_0.57.N_k2_dx_k3_install.bin
Checking update package 'Update_usbnetwork_0.57.N_k2_dx_k3_install.bin'.
Bundle         SP01 (Signing Envelope)
Cert number    0
Cert file      pubdevkey01.pem (Developer)
Bundle         FD04 (Versionless [vls])
Bundle Type    OTA V2
Minimum OTA    0
Target OTA     18446744073709551615
Devices        8
Device         Kindle 2 US
Device         Kindle 2 International
Device         Kindle DX US
Device         Kindle DX International
Device         Kindle DX Graphite
Device         Kindle 3 WiFi
Device         Kindle 3 WiFi+3G
Device         Kindle 3 WiFi+3G Europe
Critical       0
Padding Byte   0 (0x00)
MD5 Hash       58769190b7bac5aa913e77c3b3651995
Metadata       7
Metastring     PackageName=USBNetwork
Metastring     PackageVersion=0.57.N-r15562
Metastring     PackageAuthor=NiLuJe
Metastring     PackageMaintainer=NiLuJe
Metastring     PackagedWith=KindleTool v1.6.5.66-gfcaf748 built by portage@tyrande on Gentoo
Metastring     PackagedBy=niluje@tyrande
Metastring     PackagedOn=2018-11-22 @ 05:52:22 UTC
Which shows that the package is built for all Models with firmware 2.x or 3.x ..

Do you have a Frankenstein DX(G)? I.E: One that has had some version of 3.x.y firmware installed instead of 2.5.8?
OR
It could be a problem with the "target OTA" entry. NiLuJe would have to answer that, not in my pay grade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USBnet.png
Views:	153
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	168233  

Last edited by knc1; 12-08-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #8
_spacemonkey

I did see the .xz file ending in Windows that was set to show full filenames (and it seems as if 7-Zip managed to handle and unpack it nicely)

Quote:
Do you have a Frankenstein DX(G)? I.E: One that has had some version of 3.x.y firmware installed instead of 2.5.8?
Yes, now that you mention it, my Kindle has been downgraded from a jail braked 3.x.x (can remember what exact version).
Old 12-08-2018, 01:55 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The snapshots packages are intended for use with MRPI only, which is why they cover every FW 2.x & FW 3.x devices in a single package, as @knc1 explained. (And while MRPI will honor OTA bracketing, it's irrelevant here since it's [0...MAX] ).

The binaries in the FBInk thread are all you probably need (you'll want the K3 one). As I said, it's standalone. USBNetwork basically just adds a symlink in $PATH.

----

Random remark @knc1: --info implies --keep . (I also very recently fixed some stupid behavior around --unwrap that was deleting the input in certain failure codepaths, so I definitely get the idea behind 'let's throw --keep in there just be safe' ;p).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-08-2018 at 01:59 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:11 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The snapshots packages are intended for use with MRPI only, which is why they cover every FW 2.x & FW 3.x devices in a single package, as @knc1 explained. (And while MRPI will honor OTA bracketing, it's irrelevant here since it's [0...MAX] ).
. . . . .
Oops, I forgot about needing MrPI now. My bad.
(Which folks, is an example of why I rarely show up on the "answer desk" these days.)

Yup, the automatic "--keep" is a left over from years ago.
I have been using it ever since the first time KindleTool ate something I wanted to keep.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:50 PM   #11
_spacemonkey

Thanks for your support, FBInk seem to work fine so far, but i will check out MRPI later also (and kindletool!).
Old 12-08-2018, 09:15 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
. . . . .
(and kindletool!).
This will sound like some high pressure sales pitch,
KindleTool packages and un-packages both our installable *.bin files and un-packages Amazon's (it could also package them, but we don't have Amazon's private key).
It has literally been under development all the years this forum has been up.

In the simplest terms, it will take an Amazon Kindle update package and turn it into a file system image (which may be mounted on any Linux system).

It isn't the only "tool" in our "tool box" but it is certainly the most important one - nearly everything depends on it.

Tags
imagemagick