Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-29-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
What Do You Write On?

What do you you write on? Old-fashioned paper with a nice fountain pen? Or do you use an Alphasmart or something similar? Maybe you write on your smart phone (mine's dumb!)?

I use a 12" old X200 Lenovo Thinkpad which I never connect to the internet. Very occasionally, I get out one of my Alphasmart Neos.

I'd love to know. Freewrite? Pomera? Do tell.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:01 PM   #2
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
I'm still writing in a notebook (with my favourite pen). However, rather than large brain plonk, it's more like point form and little snippets of dialogue.

Then, when I'm at my computer, I'll add this stuff to Scrivener in the notecard-y bit. And then I'll either flesh out the snippets or move them to my ever growing slush pile.

If I ever do write a full on plonk, then I scan it and move it to Evernote and/or Scrivener for incorporation...somewhere.

I've stopped taking my laptop with me (as it's too heavy) and the Neo is too big for the handbag. I have been toying with the idea of digging out the Win netbook and using Notepad or Wordpad. The netbook will easily fit in the handbag and is a lot lighter than the Macbook.
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2018, 06:44 PM   #3
Freehunter
Connoisseur
Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4PC, PW2, HD7, calibre
When I first started writing I used a notebook but found retyping wasted effort so moved on to working on a PC. There followed several desktops and even a Tandy 1400 LT. Ah, the days of floppy disks. When away from a PC there was a Palm TX, unfortunately its battery is failing.

For the last 16 years a Toshiba Satellite 15 inch laptop has been my main goto when writing. This despite a couple of newer desktops and a laptop. If away and really had time and need to write would probably take my HP Stream 7 as a replacement for the TX.

Mostly use Notepad or Wordpad because where I post for critique wants plain text. For a final manuscript I would be using LibreOffice.

I prefer a PC now because I keep my "bible" in a TiddlyWiki and also have assorted pages saved for reference. Everything is on a USB thumbdrive and I use PortableApps so could really work on any Windows PC.
Freehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:13 PM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
At the moment I don't, or barely. After months away from it - enforced by work load - I'm having trouble getting back into it now that the load (or at least the urgency) and slackened off a bit. But when I do...

Sitting at my main computer using LibreOffice, dual 27" screens (okay, so I only use one of them while actually writing ), natural keyboard. Sometimes headphones and sometimes not.

Sometimes I take a notebook (paper) and pen when I pretend I'm going to write elsewhere, but generally it only gets used for is doodles. And sometimes I take a notebook (computer) when I pretend I'm going to write elsewhere, but generally my time is lost fiddling with settings and stuff.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:46 PM   #5
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
My first book (1980) on a typewriter. My second (1986) on a PC, in Word Perfect, then provided to published as a digital file. Third, (1994), on a PC again and provided to the publisher as laser-printed camera-ready copy on glossy high quality paper. Used WforW for the text pages, Aldus Intellidraw (now long extinct) for the graphics.

These days I produce a quarterly magazine for the Rolls-Royce Owners Club of Western Australia, full colour, and after dickering with various publisher, page layout etc programs decided my best bet was simply WforW again, result delivered as pdf to printers. Magazines also available on-line as pdf on Club website, and emailed to overseas members. The Club website is easy to find through Google.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2018, 12:19 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
When home (most of the time) I write on my desktop (2008 Dell Optiplex 755) — when traveling (about once a year) I use a laptop (usually my old one, a 2003 Dell Latitude D400). Both computers run the same version of Linux Mint (17.1 Mate). I enter text in the JOE text editor (Jstar variant because it works like WordStar for DOS). I've got a Neo Alphasmart (I like it, but it never seems convenient), a Bluetooth Keyboard for my Fire and and app for writing (Jotter Pad) and SimpleNote on all my computers and devices (where I paste what I write from Jotter Pad in the Fire, so it's available everywhere). Both the Neo and Fire are nice setups for writing, but I hardly ever use them. I guess I just don't travel enough to make it worth the trouble.

The text files get moved into LibreOffice Write or screenplay writing software (Trelby or KIT Scenarist) where they're formatted (when and if formatting is necessary — rarely anymore).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:32 AM   #7
ZGottlieb
Author: 99c scifi ebook
ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: IPOD
I move back and forth between my Ipod, surface tablet, and desktop. It really depends upon what else is going on my life. I have learned to tap out chapters or sections, waiting for a doctor, a movie to start, sitting in the car, etc. The surface is when I'm on vacation, finally the desktop when I'm home.

When I use the Ipod, I also use MS Notes. I used to use apple notes, but they took away the ability to sync with my PC through iTunes.
ZGottlieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:29 AM   #8
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
For me, my Lenovo Desktop that I do my photography on. I use MS word, OneNote, and a little known note app called "All-My-Notes". I'm finding that I use OneNote for research and plotting ideas, and All-My-Notes as an outliner and even to kind of 'test write' some ideas.

I CAN write on my Lenovo Android tablet with a matching keyboard or my Laptop, and I will, if I have to. But I prefer to write on a nice big platform with a nice BIG screen!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:39 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can understand the desire for a big screen, but I do my first draft scribbles in FocusWriter then transfer it to relevant parts of Scrivener. I also use The Novel Factory to work out the plot.

I was finding my main online computer distracting - driven by the need to check the internet and watch youtube videos, so felt the need for something unconnected. For this to truly work I would need to unplug the modem and all the Netgear plugs (I don't like wifi.)

Pulpmiester: what is WforW, I don't think I've heard of it? Wishes for Writers? Writing for World peace?

I read on FB that the dreaded Freewrite is undergoing a new version. Will probably give it a miss.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:01 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Pulpmiester: what is WforW, I don't think I've heard of it? Wishes for Writers? Writing for World peace?
I'm pretty sure it's "Word for Windows."
Old 08-30-2018, 10:00 PM   #11
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Yep, Word for Windows.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:44 PM   #12
BookCat
C L J

Thanks for the clarification, I was thinking of all kinds of silly possibilities.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:16 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Thanks for the clarification, I was thinking of all kinds of silly possibilities.
Actually your guesses were more fun than the reality.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:39 AM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freehunter View Post
I prefer a PC now because I keep my "bible" in a TiddlyWiki and also have assorted pages saved for reference. Everything is on a USB thumbdrive and I use PortableApps so could really work on any Windows PC.
Do you use a standard format in your TiddlyWiki or do you create a new one from scratch for each new work?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:45 AM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I write on my Kindle Fire (via apps), Libre Office and Scrivener. I've tried writing in composition books but my handwriting has never been the best. And now I've got trigger finger and that makes it even harder to write with a pen.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paper and pen, writing machines