Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: What type of PDF do you consume most often?
Mostly text, with little to no images 8 36.36%
Mostly images, such as comic books, certain reference materials, etc. 5 22.73%
Other (Please reply with your response) 9 40.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2017, 10:31 PM   #1
hyphenreader
Connoisseur
hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: iPhone [Hyphen Reader]
What type of PDFs do you consume most often?

This question is primarily targeted to Apple device users, but I'm interested in hearing from everyone
hyphenreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:11 AM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I tend toward images, I do not read novels in PDF form, and all my PDFs seem to be reference material for photography. I probably should have voted Images but some of the reference material is text only. Are you planning to add PDF compatibility to Hyphen?
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I only very rarely read PDF format ebooks for pleasure. Over 99% of my PDF reading is comprised of business documents and instruction manuals and almost all of that is done on a desktop computer with one or two large monitors.

When I do read a PDF format ebook for pleasure it is usually because it only exists as a scan of a print version and is, therefore, a pure image PDF. They may be an OCR layer, but these are rarely "fixed" manually so are quite unreadable.

Last edited by dwig; 03-15-2017 at 10:34 AM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I never read PDF files for entertainment purposes. I only read PDF files for reference. For example, most of my electronic devices have User Guides available in PDF format. It is much easier to save all of them to my computer and/or iPad than to look for the printed versions stashed away in my home. Some devices don't even come with printed manuals anymore. But let me be totally clear. I NEVER read novels or other such books in PDF form. That wold be horrible. Nor do I read comics in PDF format. Again, the only thing I find this totally outdated mode of documentation good for is reference material like product manuals.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Almost all of my PDF's are magazines or manuals.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2017, 08:12 PM   #6
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Technical manuals. Mostly text but with a fair amount of images.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:39 PM   #7
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyphenreader View Post
This question is primarily targeted to Apple device users, but I'm interested in hearing from everyone
I have a Android devices. I read my pdfs on my PC or my tablet. Most of my pdfs are knitting patterns and the church bulletin (I'm the church pianist so I receive it in advance so I know what the hymns are to practice them).
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #8
hyphenreader
Connoisseur
hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Thank you everyone for the feedback and detailed explanations, it's been very enlightening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Are you planning to add PDF compatibility to Hyphen?
Mostly already have, actually. But yes!

Last edited by hyphenreader; 03-16-2017 at 02:31 PM. Reason: *snip*
Old 03-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thank you everyone for the feedback and detailed explanations, it's been very enlightening.

Mostly already have, actually. But yes! Also, PDF is one of the worst media formats mankind has ever created.
I would disagree with that statement. As an eBook it leaves a lot to be desired but as an archive format, print format, source for a printing press, etc. it is an excellent format.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:30 PM   #10
mattcurtis
Book Lover, Dev of Hyphen
mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone (Hyphen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I would disagree with that statement. As an eBook it leaves a lot to be desired but as an archive format, print format, source for a printing press, etc. it is an excellent format.

Dale
Ah, I wasn't very clear, my bad. I was speaking more in terms of how PDF is implemented behind the scenes. It's great for what it provides in the way you described, but as for how all that is made possible it leaves much, much to be desired.
mattcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Ah, I understand now. Yes it is a bit simplistic as to its approach but it was hacked (modified) many times to get to where it is now. It started in 1993 and tried to be backwards compatible. I am sure there is a cleaner way to do it now.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:29 PM   #12
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Mostly already have, actually. But yes!
It might have been more useful to ask what people want in a pDF reader. I have goodreader or PDF Expert for my PDFs and won't use Hyphen for it :-/
Old 03-16-2017, 11:07 PM   #13
hyphenreader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
It might have been more useful to ask what people want in a pDF reader. I have goodreader or PDF Expert for my PDFs and won't use Hyphen for it :-/
I have other questions in mind, but was starting with this one. Mind sharing your reasons for using Goodreader/PDF Expert? Annotation?
Old 03-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #14
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
I have other questions in mind, but was starting with this one. Mind sharing your reasons for using Goodreader/PDF Expert? Annotation?
Easy. Already bought them and have got used to the way they work. I have no desire to add PDFs to my favourite epub reader. I personally dont have great demands on a PDF reader but I know there are others that do. I'd caution you against trying to be all things to all people. That rarely works.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #15
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Both - I'd mostly use them for comics and cookbooks, where the images and text are both very important.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad, iphone, pdf