Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 07-02-2017, 08:16 PM   #1
BigRobert
BigRobert began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Calibre 3 as service auto start on Windows

Hi,

With Calibre 2.x I had a small script that made me access to my library from the Web by running Calibre server as a service and it was starting with Windows.

It's no longer working with Calibre 3.x.

I can access my library when Calibre is running on my computer but not when it's closed.

I'm not very good in coding, don't understand everything I code but I'm not so bad with cut and paste :-)

Any help will be appreciate

Last edited by BigRobert; 07-02-2017 at 08:18 PM.
BigRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Since the syntax (options and arguments) of the calibre-server command has changed completely, you simply need to update your script to use the new syntax. If you cannpt figure out how to fo that yourself, post it here and hopefully someone will help.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:35 AM   #3
BigRobert

Wow, didn't expect that M. Goyal himself will answer to my post

Here's what I did to create my service in Windows.

I use a program "winserv.exe" to create a service, with the '-start auto' option, the new service will always start on reboot

winserv.exe install ServeurCalibre -displayname "MyOwnCalibreServer" -description "Calibre Server to give access from web to my Calibre library" -start auto "C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre-server.exe" --port 8080 --username "xxxxxx" --with-library="C:\path to my library".

To kill the service:

sc delete MyOwnCalibreServer

That was working great with the Calibre 2.x version, hoping someone will post the syntax for the new Calibre 3.x
Old 07-03-2017, 07:44 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

--username and --with-library no longer exist. See https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gen...re-server.html
Old 07-03-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
BigRobert

Works great now with this string:

winserv.exe install ServeurCalibre -displayname "MyOwnCalibreServer" -description "Calibre Server to give access from web to my Calibre library" -start auto "C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre-server.exe" --port 8080 "C:\path to my library"

Thanks M. Goyal
Old 07-04-2017, 07:31 AM   #6
BigRobert

Still have a problem.

When I start server with this command, the database do not update.

If I access from the web when Calibre is open on my pc, everything is fine. But as soon as I close it, I'm back to the old version.

The only way to have an up to date db is to stop and restart the service.

Very strange. I don't know if it happened with Calibre 2.x
Old 07-04-2017, 07:39 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You should not run the server and the GUI on the same library, because the server can also modify the library. So create a script that stops the server before launching the GUI and starts it after the GUI shutsdown and use that to run the GUI.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:12 AM   #8
BigRobert

No idea how to do that, but thanks any away
Old 07-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I suggest you just have the GUI run the content server on startup and enable the system tray icon in Preferences->Look & feel. Then tell windows to run calibre on startup with the --start-intray option.

That way you dont have to worry about running the server as a service.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:14 PM   #10
BigRobert

Enable the system tray icon in Preferences->Look & feel.

A small batch file like this:

start Calibre --start-in-tray
exit /b

Put in the windows startup directory. (Open with Run then Shell:startup)

Perfect

With bonus, you could manage users and passwords from the Calibre's GUI interface

I can't guess it was so simple

Thanks again for your help M. Koyal
Old 03-18-2018, 02:37 PM   #11
arcegabriel
arcegabriel began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRobert View Post
Enable the system tray icon in Preferences->Look & feel.

A small batch file like this:

start Calibre --start-in-tray
exit /b

Put in the windows startup directory. (Open with Run then Shell:startup)

Perfect

With bonus, you could manage users and passwords from the Calibre's GUI interface

I can't guess it was so simple

Thanks again for your help M. Koyal
Thanks just used your instructions. I had it working running as a calibre-server but just changed it with your instructions.
arcegabriel is offline   Reply With Quote