Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
pakiyabhai
Zealot
pakiyabhai began at the beginning.

Device: pakiyabhai
Compiling HTML,NCX and OPF file

I have got one ebook from a friend in .RAR format.

Extracting it , presents me
book.html
book.ncx
book.opf
cover.jpg
folder called images with images inside.

Although I am able to drag just the html to calibre and it works fine , I want to know what are the other files for , am I to compile them ? EPUB ?
pakiyabhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakiyabhai View Post
I have got one ebook from a friend in .RAR format.

Extracting it , presents me
book.html
book.ncx
book.opf
cover.jpg
folder called images with images inside.

Although I am able to drag just the html to calibre and it works fine , I want to know what are the other files for , am I to compile them ? EPUB ?
You would find a similar group files if you unzipped an EPUB. Or decompiled a lit file. or decompiled a Mobi file. The "opf" file is the project file for any open ebook-style format. It contains references to all of the information in the other files.

Calibre will convert from the opf file if you let it and this is likely to produce the best conversion.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 10:52 PM   #3
pakiyabhai
Zealot

I am not getting the option to add .opf file to calibre ,only .html file it can take
Old 12-22-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
just add the rar file, the opf will be used automatically
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:49 AM   #5
pakiyabhai
Zealot

WHen I add the rar file directly , although the file name is detected, no tags , even when I try to preview the ebook , it just opens the rar file for me.
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
metadata wont be read, but during conversion the OPF file will be used.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:45 AM   #7
pakiyabhai
Zealot

maybe I am not following you .

Kovidgoyal , I drag my .RAR archive into calibre, it detects the name and the author of the file.

BUT

When i right click and say view file , nothing happens.

ALSO

Sending the same file to my device , sends the .RAR file and not any epub.

It's treating the ebook as an archive now.

How do I add the file to calibre , that all the .ncx , .opf and html are utilised ?
Old 12-24-2009, 05:27 AM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Convert to epub

I hope I understand your question correctly. Kovid will no doubt respond as well, but it quite early here in the States.

Highlight the line showing the book title and author and press the convert E books button. Make sure the drop down box in the upper right shows epub and press ok.

Then the book will be converted. Next I press save the book to disk button so I can locate it easily to transfer it to my mobile device. You can transfer the file directly using the send to device button.

Since I had the Sony software before I had calibre, I use the Sony software to transfer the book(s) to my 505, but that is just a personal habit.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
pakiyabhai
Zealot

The issue is that dragging the rar file only takes the metadata and not the ebook itself.