Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-10-2020, 03:48 PM   #1
gavinjb
Connoisseur
gavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle
Kobo File Formats

Hi,

I have recently purchased a Kobo (been a Kindle user since the original) and so far am loving it. However from reading in several places on the Net I have seen when converting ebooks to KOBO there are 2 formats reconmended EPUB & Kepub, can I asks which format is the prefered to use and if either has any benefits.

I am using Calibre and I have downloaded the Kepub Output Plugin as I was planning to use Kepub.

Thanks,
gavinjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:57 PM   #2
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinjb View Post
Hi,

I have recently purchased a Kobo (been a Kindle user since the original) and so far am loving it. However from reading in several places on the Net I have seen when converting ebooks to KOBO there are 2 formats reconmended EPUB & Kepub, can I asks which format is the prefered to use and if either has any benefits.

I am using Calibre and I have downloaded the Kepub Output Plugin as I was planning to use Kepub.

Thanks,
my advice is to try both and decide which you prefer.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2020, 04:02 PM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The KoboTouchExtended plugin for Calibre will convert an epub to a kepub when sending a book to the Kobo. It's used just like the regular KoboTouch plugin.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:23 PM   #4
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
And all is not wonderful and glorious in the kepub world; here's one thread where it's discussed:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=328335
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:29 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks,
There's threads on here comparing ePub to kepub.

From memory:
ePub:
  • Uses Adobe page numbers, so page 27 always has the same text no matter what size font you use
  • Better layout and font rendering

Kepub:
  • One screen=one page. So if a chapter is 13 pages, tapping the screen 13 times will get you to the next chapter
  • Zoomable images
  • Pop-up footnotes

I prefer kepub myself. I disliked the ePub page numbers, where a 13 page chapter could require anywhere between 13-39 page turns.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2020, 04:37 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks,
If you read that annotations are slow and hard to use with ePub, that's no longer true as Kobo has fixed that as of the 4.20 firmware.

With 4.20, Kobo has changed how page numbers are done in KePub. So you'll have to decide which style of page numbers works for you. There are discussions about page number somewhere on MR.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:41 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

From memory:
ePub:
  • Uses Adobe page numbers, so page 27 always has the same text no matter what size font you use

Kepub:
  • One screen=one page. So if a chapter is 13 pages, tapping the screen 13 times will get you to the next chapter
  • Zoomable images
  • Pop-up footnotes

I prefer kepub myself. I disliked the ePub page numbers, where a 13 page chapter could require anywhere between 13-39 page turns.
I prefer ePub because the typesetting is MUCH better then KePub. Plus, ePub has proper page numbers that do not change with changes in font, font size, margins, or line height.

As for pop-up footnotes in KePub, the footnotes have to be coded correctly for that to work and in most ePub, that won't be the case. Also with KePub, it's best to have every HTML file in the ToC. So tat means editing the ePub before sending it to the Kobo as KePub.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:17 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I prefer ePub because the typesetting is MUCH better then KePub. Plus, ePub has proper page numbers that do not change with changes in font, font size, margins, or line height.
So as you can see, both formats have their fans.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:58 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Kepub is faster than epub (searching, page turns etc.). Not that epub is terribly slow; it isn't. But kepub is zippier. (Personally I use epub).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:42 PM   #10
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The epub experience *has* improved greatly with recent firmware updates, so many old threads and old views might not be applicable anymore. For me, the one remaining missing feature from Epub is the ability to substitute fonts for missing glyphs..

If a book uses a Unicode character or symbol that is not in the standard font you are reading with, the Kepub reader will try to pick another font that *does*. The epub reader simply won't, and will just not display those characters.. (It doesn't even show an obvious placeholder, so you might not even know there is something missing while reading.) As it happens, I have had many books affected by this.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:44 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Kepub is faster than epub (searching, page turns etc.). Not that epub is terribly slow; it isn't. But kepub is zippier. (Personally I use epub).
One reason KePub is slightly fast is because of less text on screen because of the forced overly large line height needed to avoid the top/bottom lines being cut off. This is a long standing bug in KePub. Also, ePub has much better typography then KePub. If you read anyplace on the forum that ePub's highlighting is slow, that's no longer true. Kobo fixed that in the 4.20 firmware. ePub is plenty fast enough at page turns.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:46 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The epub experience *has* improved greatly with recent firmware updates, so many old threads and old views might not be applicable anymore. For me, the one remaining missing feature from Epub is the ability to substitute fonts for missing glyphs..

If a book uses a Unicode character or symbol that is not in the standard font you are reading with, the Kepub reader will try to pick another font that *does*. The epub reader simply won't, and will just not display those characters.. (It doesn't even show an obvious placeholder, so you might not even know there is something missing while reading.) As it happens, I have had many books affected by this.
The solution to the glyph issue is to install at least one glyph heavy font such as ChareInk and if you do come across a missing glyph, switch the font.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:47 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

From memory:
ePub:

Kepub:
  • Zoomable images
  • Pop-up footnotes

Does kepub still make it easier to tap on footnotes? I use to have a very hard time tapping on footnotes with epubs.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:51 AM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

As for pop-up footnotes in KePub, the footnotes have to be coded correctly for that to work and in most ePub, that won't be the case. ...
Which is a non-issue? If you get your kepubs from Kobo, they will most likely be correct, and if you are side loading kepubs, Calibre will get it correct.

I use Calibre for side loading, and I don't recall having any problems with footnotes.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:02 AM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

From memory:
ePub:

Kepub:
  • Zoomable images
  • Pop-up footnotes

And doesn't kepub have better stats?

Tags
epub, kepub, kobo