Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-06-2020, 08:03 AM   #1
maufe
maufe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Angry I will destroy My Kobo Aura if she continue to be stubborn

I have a problem that I cannot resolve with my Kobo Aura from the start.
When I connect to Caliber and download my books to my Kobo, after disconnecting my Kobo often show this message: "Importing content" for hours and very often has imported nothing at all!
But it works with the program, Adobe Digital Edition but which is much less complete than Caliber.
I use Mac OS Catalina 10.15.3
Has anyone come across this problem before? Thank you for your help as I am desperate to find a solution and I am far too isolated to ask for help if it is not online.
maufe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:39 AM   #2
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon, but that sounds like maybe you are loading a "problem" book on, which your kobo can't process correctly. This is often because of bad formatting. The first thing I would try is to add one book, and see if it processes. If not, delete it, and try a different book. It is easier to find the problem book if you start with no books on your device, then try adding them on slowly.
However, when you say this only happens with Calibre, but is fine when loaded with Adobe, do you mean the same identical book? If so, it sounds more complicated, but if you mean different books, what I said above still applies.
Others will probably give better, more in-depth advice, but it's somewhere to start.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:37 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
When you use calibre, how many books are you sending to the device? If you are sending only one, then taking hours is bad. But, if you are sending thousands, then hours is reasonable.

As @Uschiekid said, books with errors in them can cause problems. And can block importing books found after it.

One question, what firmware version are you running? Older firmware was a lot slower to import books and had more problems doing this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:06 PM   #4
maufe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon, but that sounds like maybe you are loading a "problem" book on, which your kobo can't process correctly. This is often because of bad formatting. The first thing I would try is to add one book, and see if it processes. If not, delete it, and try a different book. It is easier to find the problem book if you start with no books on your device, then try adding them on slowly.
However, when you say this only happens with Calibre, but is fine when loaded with Adobe, do you mean the same identical book? If so, it sounds more complicated, but if you mean different books, what I said above still applies.
Others will probably give better, more in-depth advice, but it's somewhere to start.
Hi Uschiekid Thanks a lot for your help, unfortunately I have more than 2000 books between user manuals, guides, comics and literature more my own production. How can I know which ones have a bad formatting? What are all the format accepted by Kobo please?
Anyway I will do as you suggest with 10 books by example and see what's happen.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:41 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maufe View Post
... I have more than 2000 books between user manuals, guides, comics and literature more my own production. How can I know which ones have a bad formatting?
I would send just 100 books at a time. If it completes, send the next 100. If there's a problem within a batch of 100, you can then start narrowing it down by 50 at a time, then 10 maybe, until you pinpoint which is the problem book with bad formatting.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:53 PM   #6
maufe

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
When you use calibre, how many books are you sending to the device? If you are sending only one, then taking hours is bad. But, if you are sending thousands, then hours is reasonable.

As @Uschiekid said, books with errors in them can cause problems. And can block importing books found after it.

One question, what firmware version are you running? Older firmware was a lot slower to import books and had more problems doing this.
Hi Davidfor Thanks for your concern I am totally dumb in stuff computer include IT language so I am not sure to know what's firmware. Just to let you know when I was connecting my Kobo with MacBook and opened on the desk the Kobo icon before downloading books Kobo icon was totally free from any files, like a totally empty USB key if you understand what I mean. From what I understand from what you tell me, I should find a folder that would be what you call Firmware, is that correct? If yes where can I find this folder again? I plugged, unplugged, erase my Kobo to reload it again in books so many times with Caliber as well as with Adobe edition that I do not know where I am now.
Most of the documentation online are in English and are technical documentation. it's double difficulties. But when I was calling the customer hotline months ago for the same problem. They just ask me if all the books was coming from the shop like if I had to justify my use after buying the product! Apart from offering to reformat and use Adobe Digital Edition no advice, that's why I turn to other alternative solutions which offer other possibilities but on the specialized forums, I quickly feel lost by the terms and the programming codes offered.
Thanks for your help
Old 06-06-2020, 09:46 PM   #7
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Hi Uschiekid Thanks a lot for your help, unfortunately I have more than 2000 books between user manuals, guides, comics and literature more my own production. How can I know which ones have a bad formatting? What are all the format accepted by Kobo please?
Anyway I will do as you suggest with 10 books by example and see what's happen.
If they aren't epub, kepub (kobo's version of epub), pdf or one of the 2 comic formats (sorry I can't remember...cbz might be one),
ie if they are mobi, txt, etc, I would think about converting the format before trying to load them.

In terms of badly formatted books (regardless of format *type*), as you and Ripplinger both said, sending a few books at a time, can help narrow it down. If you find one that seems to be problematic (ie it won't process after loading onto your kobo, but others do), then come back and ask for more specific help. Such as (if not under copyright!!) providing a copy of the book, or if under copyright a scrambled copy (done in calibre).

Also, when asking for more help, as @davidfor mentioned, it is helpful to state your kobo model and firmware number (found in settings) because it can make a big difference in the person helping being able to know if the problem is caused by a bug or if updating the firmware will solve sluggish behaviour, etc.

Last edited by Uschiekid; 06-06-2020 at 09:48 PM.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:15 PM   #8
leftright
Addict
leftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Glo
I had the same problem when side loading 700 epubs from Calibre to Glo, I resorted to transferring 100 at a time, Using this method I was able to identify the culprits which were stalling the Glo, they were mostly very large books, >10MB, which were incorrectly formatted, after fixing them my Glo is perfectly happy with them.
leftright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:59 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftright View Post
I had the same problem when side loading 700 epubs from Calibre to Glo, I resorted to transferring 100 at a time, Using this method I was able to identify the culprits which were stalling the Glo, they were mostly very large books, >10MB, which were incorrectly formatted, after fixing them my Glo is perfectly happy with them.
In the past, I ran into problems when transferring books to my Kobos but after a few years of getting downright paranoid about fixing incoming books before moving them from Intake library to my main calibre library, I was confident enough that when I upgraded my Clara HD to 32GB, I sent the ~10K of books in my main library in one pass. That took a while for the USB transfer and a bit longer for the import but all went without issue.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:51 AM   #10
maufe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I would send just 100 books at a time. If it completes, send the next 100. If there's a problem within a batch of 100, you can then start narrowing it down by 50 at a time, then 10 maybe, until you pinpoint which is the problem book with bad formatting.
Yep! thats what few person advice me to do, I will follow it and see what's going on thanks!!!!
Old 06-07-2020, 08:47 AM   #11
maufe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
If they aren't epub, kepub (kobo's version of epub), pdf or one of the 2 comic formats (sorry I can't remember...cbz might be one),
ie if they are mobi, txt, etc, I would think about converting the format before trying to load them.

In terms of badly formatted books (regardless of format *type*), as you and Ripplinger both said, sending a few books at a time, can help narrow it down. If you find one that seems to be problematic (ie it won't process after loading onto your kobo, but others do), then come back and ask for more specific help. Such as (if not under copyright!!) providing a copy of the book, or if under copyright a scrambled copy (done in calibre).

Also, when asking for more help, as @davidfor mentioned, it is helpful to state your kobo model and firmware number (found in settings) because it can make a big difference in the person helping being able to know if the problem is caused by a bug or if updating the firmware will solve sluggish behaviour, etc.
thanks for your friendly reply, I have 2036 books and 11 different format. Should I have to change all of them in Epub or kepub?
My Ereader is a kobo Aura One but I don't know where to find the firmware this term is not even clear for me. Should I have to search in the kobo setting a number? Sorry I am French :-) and as you sure know French and English langage is a catastrophe It's like a second IT langage.
for now and since 2 hours after downloading 400 epub my kobo show this screen who is moving very slowly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	980.4 KB
ID:	179756  
Old 06-07-2020, 09:08 AM   #12
maufe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
In the past, I ran into problems when transferring books to my Kobos but after a few years of getting downright paranoid about fixing incoming books before moving them from Intake library to my main calibre library, I was confident enough that when I upgraded my Clara HD to 32GB, I sent the ~10K of books in my main library in one pass. That took a while for the USB transfer and a bit longer for the import but all went without issue.
seriously? 10 thousand pounds at once? That makes dream! I'm spending more time doing computer science to make this shit work than reading quietly while drinking a good wisky. One day maybe it will work but I'm wondering if I'm not going all just reading directly on my Macbook at least it doesn't bother me. I hate IT with its valuable knowledge until the next version. I am too isolated where I live to be able to do other than to read in digital. I think of my library left in France with nostalgia.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:34 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
maufe, go to the home screen and then click the 3 line icon in the upper left and select Settings. Then select Device Information. Look at Software version and that's the firmware version your Kob is running.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:18 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'd strongly recommend just sending Epub or kepub to the device (and until the current issues with the kepub drivers are resolved, stuck with Epub only).

If the books are in Mobi format DO CONVERT THEM; yes, Kobo does "support" Mobi but it does not get a great deal of attention.

PDFs will be problematical; while Kobo does support pdf many people find the device to be quite slow in reading them.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:04 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
thanks for your friendly reply, I have 2036 books and 11 different format. Should I have to change all of them in Epub or kepub?
My Ereader is a kobo Aura One but I don't know where to find the firmware this term is not even clear for me. Should I have to search in the kobo setting a number? Sorry I am French :-) and as you sure know French and English langage is a catastrophe It's like a second IT langage.
for now and since 2 hours after downloading 400 epub my kobo show this screen who is moving very slowly
Either epub or kepub are preferred. Your Kobo will handle pdf but it's not the greatest pdf reader. The mobi format support is for the original Mobipocket format and not the changes made to that format after Amazon purchased Mobipocket. If you are a comic reader, CBZ/CBR formats are supported.

If you are using calibre, it will try to convert the files on the fly but I prefer to preconvert, error and format check and update metadata before sending.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote