Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2021, 04:20 PM   #421
kobokaput
e-reader reader
kobokaput began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura (N514)
Aura (N415) power slider doesn't work

Has anyone fixed a broken power slider on a Kobo Aura (N415)?

The power slider does nothing. Holding it to the side for a few seconds, or even greater than 1 minute, produces no reaction. Accordingly, I cannot turn the Aura on, turn it off, or manually enter or exit sleep mode.

The only way to get the Aura to "wake" from sleep mode is to plug it into a PC. Then I get the "Connecting to a PC" menu. If I select Connect, I can access the Aura's internal storage on the PC (I use Calibre) and it charges. If I select Cancel, the Aura wakes from sleep mode and charges.

I haven't seen mention of this particular problem anywhere.
It's a hassle to wake the Aura using my PC, so I've turned off all power-saving settings. Turning off the backlight makes the battery last long enough, so that's my "sleep" mode.

I haven't tried a factory reset. I'm not sure that would be possible, given that the power slider appears to be physically broken.

Any fix for this problem? More appropriate thread for hardware troubleshooting?
kobokaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:56 PM   #422
kobokaput
e-reader reader

Does not seem that replacement power sliders are available.

I have a Clara HD on the way. Figured it was time for a screen upgrade anyway.

My old Aura is only going to be good for around the house, given that it can no longer be turned on or off properly.
Advert
Old 07-24-2021, 04:17 PM   #423
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokaput View Post
Does not seem that replacement power sliders are available.

I have a Clara HD on the way. Figured it was time for a screen upgrade anyway.

My old Aura is only going to be good for around the house, given that it can no longer be turned on or off properly.
There are a few things you can do to help the problem. One is to get a sleep cover. That way you can put it to sleep and wake it up just by opening or closing the cover.

With NickelMenu, you can create menu entries to shutdown, reboot, or sleep.

So you do have options to bypass the power slider.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:58 PM   #424
kobokaput
e-reader reader

Any idea where I would get a sleep cover for an original Aura? They seem to only be available for newer models, like the Aura edition 2 and later.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:11 AM   #425
-stepan-
Enthusiast
-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Nia
Quote:
Any idea where I would get a sleep cover for an original Aura? They seem to only be available for newer models, like the Aura edition 2 and later.
As mentioned above, you can use the Nickel Menu to send the device to sleep. I use a regular magnet to wake up my Mini. I have a simple case (not a sleep cover), thick, but the magnet wakes up the book even through the case if you bring it up from the back of the Mini. Experiment with magnets - it's still better than connecting a book to your computer. I using neodym magnet - 2mm thick, 10mm diameter. Sorry for the bad english
-stepan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2021, 01:57 PM   #426
kobokaput
e-reader reader

I played with a small magnet to find the sweet spot - it's somewhere toward the lower part of the Aura display. Now I have a reliable and easier way to wake the Aura from "sleep" mode. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2021, 11:39 AM   #427
vintodrimmer
Seen this place before
vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Is there some command or hook to toggle library update for the default reader app on a Kobo?

I fully switched to syncthing for all my file management needs (thanks to anarcat for the guide, now to make it work through the NickelMenu), but Kobo simply refuses to index and add the books, unless I physically connect it to PC and then disconnect.
Sync and reboot don't seem to help.
vintodrimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:09 PM   #428
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintodrimmer View Post
Is there some command or hook to toggle library update for the default reader app on a Kobo?

I fully switched to syncthing for all my file management needs (thanks to anarcat for the guide, now to make it work through the NickelMenu), but Kobo simply refuses to index and add the books, unless I physically connect it to PC and then disconnect.
Sync and reboot don't seem to help.
I believe nickelmenu can do this. As to Kobo doing it, they do with the supported methods of adding books wirelessly. You might be able to get NM and syncthing teamed up to do this as part of syncthings process, but that’s beyond me.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:56 PM   #429
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I believe nickelmenu can do this. As to Kobo doing it, they do with the supported methods of adding books wirelessly. You might be able to get NM and syncthing teamed up to do this as part of syncthings process, but that’s beyond me.
Yes, NickelMenu can trigger a scan for new books. I have it setup to be able to do so.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:05 AM   #430
vintodrimmer
Seen this place before
vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, NickelMenu can trigger a scan for new books. I have it setup to be able to do so.
Thank you both.
Now I have one last thing (hopefully) to make me 100% satisfied with the experience.
Koreader doesn't support metadata search and I don't organize my books into folders.
Ideally, I'd like to search in Kobo itself (the search is great, IMO) and run the appropriate book in Koreader.

On Kindle I used KPVBooklet to do that automatically.
Is there something similar for Kobo devices?
If I'm not mistaken, NickelMenu can be spawned as a context menu, so there should be some hook to launch selected item in Koreader, or am I wrong?
vintodrimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:04 PM   #431
WoutVD
WoutVD reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.WoutVD reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.WoutVD reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.WoutVD reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.WoutVD reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.WoutVD reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.WoutVD reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.WoutVD reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.WoutVD reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.WoutVD reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.WoutVD reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Looking on the Dutch version of Amazon I was able to find one, but on the American site I wasn't.
A quick search on AliExpress did get results, though:
aliexpress.com/item/33001349781.html
But depending on where you live, AliExpress' shipping sometimes takes months for the product to arrive, and the quality often isn't up to par.
WoutVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:53 AM   #432
elipsajune
elipsajune began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (1st gen), Kobo Elipsa
Does anyone know if kobo cloud works well on the Elipsa? I have read it caused some WiFi issues in some Kobo models.
elipsajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 09:10 AM   #433
BryanK
Connoisseur
BryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
When did this thread go from "If anyone learns any new tips and tricks, please post them here" to "ask random questions about Kobo"?
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 11:18 AM   #434
menneske
Enthusiast
menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.menneske can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: LBook (Hanlin v.3), iPad1+3, GloHD 32GB, ClaraHD 8GB, iPadPro2 512GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanK View Post
When did this thread go from "If anyone learns any new tips and tricks, please post them here" to "ask random questions about Kobo"?
I concur.

29 pages of mostly chit-chat. Kinda not worth the read.
menneske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:16 AM   #435
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by menneske View Post
I concur.

29 pages of mostly chit-chat. Kinda not worth the read.
I try to make sure the good ones get moved into the wiki and all organized like.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote