Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2021, 02:15 PM   #16
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The first Kindle was not LCD. It was eInk.
Be that as it may, Amazon did not mention eink.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:26 PM   #17
EltaninPub
Nameless Being

OK, I feel a teensy bit guilty... I went to Amazon Warehouse and found a "Used - very good condition" paperwhite (and I believe it's the newest version because it says waterproof) for $73. Amazon had given me $70 off a paperwhite or Oasis, plus $25 in ebook credits if I buy a new paperwhite or Oasis, and... it worked on the used one! So I'm getting a "Used - very good" paperwhite for $3, plus $25 in ebook credit. I did buy an $18 cover...
Advert
Old 07-29-2021, 04:30 PM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Amazon is wrong here. Sony was the company that started with a Reader that used eInk. The first eInk based reader released in the US was the Sony Reader PRS-505.
And Palm using Mobi from Mobipocket was the first popular ebook platform. Then Windows CE PDAs and Symbian phones had Mobi.

Amazon bought and buried Mobipocket in 2005.

Their success in ebooks is for similar reasons to their success at online sales of paper books. Not the technology.

Sony was first with commercial eInk, but ebooks were already well established.

Project Gutenberg was started in 1971! I was downloading and reading on my Laptop from 2004.

Though people DID read on the Palm 160 x 160 pixel PDA.

In 2004 Sony released the Librié in Japan, the first e-book reader with an electronic paper E Ink display. Sony released the PRS-500 Sony Reader e-book reader in September 2006 in the USA. I saw a Sony in Dublin 2007 but couldn't afford it.

Mobipocket was founded in 2000, bought by Amazon in 2005. Amazon released the Kindle, its first e-reader, on November 19, 2007.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:43 PM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And Amazon has at least twice orphaned DRM.
"On October 31, 2016, Amazon permanently shut down the Mobipocket website and servers."
Though the DRM on .prc files is long ago defeated.

Do not rely on the Cloud or on continued support for ANY DRM. Don't upload or share copyright material as that's the justification for DRM. DRM is a lie that disadvantages consumers and has never stopped piracy.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:08 PM   #20
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Amazon isn't responsible for this, why does the subject line say it is? The sunsetting of 2/3g has been talked about for many years. It shouldn't be a surprise for anyone.
Because that was my interpretation of the email and I have no clue how to edit the thread title.

I also had no clue this has been talked about for many years.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2021, 02:41 PM   #21
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
What are the terms and conditions mentioned in the emails? I have both 1st and 2nd gen but haven't been using them. They both still will power on and show the menu but 3g isn't working here, or barely working. I did not get the email.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:34 PM   #22
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
It's not Amazon, it's Sprint and AT&T.

(FWIW, I think the Sprint 2G/3G the first gen and early 2nd gen devices used has been all but phased out or otherwise unusable by Kindles for a couple years now)
No Sprint! They are T-Mobile now...
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:38 PM   #23
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Amazon is wrong here. Sony was the company that started with a Reader that used eInk. The first eInk based reader released in the US was the Sony Reader PRS-505.
Sony didn't have an eReader with a cellular or even WiFi connection until after the Kindle launched. With Kindle you could go to the beach and buy a book straight off the device. To do that with a Sony reader at the time you would have needed a laptop, 3G modem, and USB cable to connect to the eReader. That's what they're talking about and how they revolutionized buying books. They also launched digital self publishing at the same time as the Kindle and I don't think Sony or anyone else had anything similar.

The PRS-500 also launched in the U.S. but was quickly replaced by the 505.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 09:48 PM   #24
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
No Sprint! They are T-Mobile now...
Technically yes, but the 2G and 3G Sprint used was from the CDMA family of standards and the 2G and 3G TMobile used was from the GSM family of standards.

And phones that did both GSM standards and CDMA standards were barely a thing before LTE was deeply entrenched.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure Amazon switched to AT&T because it was easier to just install a GSM modem and ship it globally than a CDMA modem in the US and a GSM modem elsewhere (The CDMA standards were mostly only a thing in the US)

Last edited by binaryhermit; 07-31-2021 at 09:59 PM.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:07 PM   #25
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
FIY, in order to have gotten any of these 3G deals for owners of 3G Kindles, the device has to have been active between January 1st of this year and June 30th.
Hence why many Kindle 1 owners simply didn't get the free Oasis offer, as many people who have those haven't used them in a long while. I however used mine at least once with 3G on in that timespan. The K1 is pretty rare too so that doesn't help.

Edit: so you know, I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of.Kindle 1 owners who got the offer are between 5 to 25 or something- no matter what it is probably not very big. Many people who even have a Kindle 1 probably put it in storage and have a newer one.

Last edited by Badcatalex; 07-31-2021 at 10:19 PM.
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:31 AM   #26
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcatalex View Post
FIY, in order to have gotten any of these 3G deals for owners of 3G Kindles, the device has to have been active between January 1st of this year and June 30th.
Hence why many Kindle 1 owners simply didn't get the free Oasis offer, as many people who have those haven't used them in a long while. I however used mine at least once with 3G on in that timespan. The K1 is pretty rare too so that doesn't help.

Edit: so you know, I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of.Kindle 1 owners who got the offer are between 5 to 25 or something- no matter what it is probably not very big. Many people who even have a Kindle 1 probably put it in storage and have a newer one.
Exactly what I was thinking. I thought between 1 and 5. I still have it and it did take a charge, but won't connect to 3G. Same with the kindle 2. But they weren't used earlier this year so I'm out of luck on the offer. I was astonished that the batteries would still take a charge after all these years of being in storage.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:20 PM   #27
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. I thought between 1 and 5. I still have it and it did take a charge, but won't connect to 3G. Same with the kindle 2. But they weren't used earlier this year so I'm out of luck on the offer. I was astonished that the batteries would still take a charge after all these years of being in storage.
For me, I had gotten my Kindle 1 late last year for $15 (alongside a Kindle 4 for $14, and a brand new case for the K4 for $3) and in my town, there is no Sprint coverage at all! However, two nearby cities have coverage so almost every time I went to those I would bring my Kindle 1. I had to also buy a universal power adapter kit (you know with the tips n stuff) in order to charge the Kindle 1 as official power adapters are EXTREMELY rare.
Kindle 1s are rare because they were only really sold for five and a half hours- when they were restocked in 2008 the Kindle 2 was out and costed less and had more features. Lots of people sold the Kindle 1 (or traded them in if that was possible) and as such most Kindle 1 units aren't owned by their original owners, or they haven't been powered in years.
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 02:48 PM   #28
jscris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcatalex View Post
For me, I had gotten my Kindle 1 late last year for $15 (alongside a Kindle 4 for $14, and a brand new case for the K4 for $3) and in my town, there is no Sprint coverage at all! However, two nearby cities have coverage so almost every time I went to those I would bring my Kindle 1. I had to also buy a universal power adapter kit (you know with the tips n stuff) in order to charge the Kindle 1 as official power adapters are EXTREMELY rare.
Kindle 1s are rare because they were only really sold for five and a half hours- when they were restocked in 2008 the Kindle 2 was out and costed less and had more features. Lots of people sold the Kindle 1 (or traded them in if that was possible) and as such most Kindle 1 units aren't owned by their original owners, or they haven't been powered in years.
Yes, I imagine there aren't many around. I knew it was too good to be true that I would get a free Oasis.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:48 AM   #29
Zimmy
Connoisseur
Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I own several Kindles including 2 with 3G.
The one I am most concerned with is my DX which (in Amazon's infinite wisdom) does not include WiFi support.
I have not received an email from Amazon (maybe because I purchased it at Staples?).
Zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:24 PM   #30
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

The only issue with DX & DXG is the time / date setting which is either (eventually) from the Mobile Network, or otherwise you need to jailbreak and use a console command. It loses that if the battery is so low that the Kindle turns off.

You don't need WiFi or Mobile to actually buy books and actually it's better to Download and transfer via PC as then you have a backup and can use the DX serial number (on your Amazon account if DX dies) to read all the books on the superior Kobo.

Really the DX and DXG are heavy dinosaurs that only support old mobi and are too slow and too low resolution for scanned PDFs.

The KK3 is better for actual ebooks, though takes ages to find the time & date via WiFi.

Stupid design decisions and even back then Amazon put too little RAM in the DX & DXG and earlier.