Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-16-2021, 12:28 AM   #1
Jan-Jan
Jan-Jan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Greetings and Questions

Hi,
I enjoy reading and exploring new authors. I have a Kindle to read from and I use Calibre to manage my library. Sometimes I try out a new author and find I don't enjoy the books they write so I remove them from Calibre so that only the books I enjoy are there. The problem is that then I have no record of the authors that I don't like. Do you know if there is a feature in Calibre (or an addition I can make) that will allow me to keep a record of the authors that I have tried but not kept ? Sort of like a notes page or something similar
Thanks
Janet
Jan-Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:41 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Jan View Post
Hi,
I enjoy reading and exploring new authors. I have a Kindle to read from and I use Calibre to manage my library. Sometimes I try out a new author and find I don't enjoy the books they write so I remove them from Calibre so that only the books I enjoy are there. The problem is that then I have no record of the authors that I don't like. Do you know if there is a feature in Calibre (or an addition I can make) that will allow me to keep a record of the authors that I have tried but not kept ? Sort of like a notes page or something similar
Thanks
Janet
Just remove all formats for THAT book, and the metadata will remain (and can be edited)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2021, 08:48 AM   #3
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
You can add and 'empty book', put in the author's name as usual, and title it, "Author I don't care for" or something like that.

Then you can put in the titles of the books you tried in the notes. I tag them as 'Empty.UnlikedAuthor' or some such to be able to pull them all up as a group.

I have Calibre show them in bright red font. That way if I ever do a search on their name I can see that I can give them a pass. And in the notes I can be as detailed as I want.

Or, as stated, you can remove the format for that book, (and I zero out the page count) and create a custom column for to mark those 'Read' or 'DNF' (Did not finish).

I keep the title info, empty format, and 'Read' column for library books I've read and want to keep track of.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, notes