Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-07-2021, 12:35 AM   #61
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I've pointed it out more than once. You chose to ignore it.
Bla-bla-bla.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:37 AM   #62
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Some context in onleihe forum, where you claim to remove DRM even for borrowed books.
The date is missing - and in the meantime I have found very good personal arguments for DRM use; but that is in the next post.
Advert
Old 06-07-2021, 01:20 AM   #63
ottischwenk
Wizard

First of all, I would like to apologize for my answer,
Quote:
No - such I never wrote.
which I made due to a translation error - I answered a supposed question about whether I loaded copyrighted books and didn't think about the prosecutorial investigation.

Yes, I was investigated because a book I bought with soft DRM was found on the internet.

The investigation was dropped,
- because no DRM removal software was found on any of my devices.
- and I reported the loss or theft of a reader on which I had such books to the police - for exactly this reason

By the way, I have been a DRM fan since that experience.

But I have already written all this earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But yet you thanked @JSWolf for pointing it out. And as you hadn't bother to mention that you were only talking about German literature, how was I supposed to know?
As someone from Austria who has written frequently about problems with English (using Google Translate), I'm hardly going to bother looking for English-language literature.
Thinking about it for a moment would have been enough.
Quote:
But yet you thanked @JSWolf for pointing it out
Oh no, I thanked for "here".
Edit: I have now looked at it and can only say: very modest. I can find more interesting things for me in our lending libraries.
Quote:
Or are all these books you are getting from the pirate sites actually sourced from PG? Or de version by someone who has done the extract and build.
What is PG?
Edit: is PG Proje(c|k)t Gutenberg? If Yes, then I can give you the answer:
"Project Gutenberg" is of no interest to someone who is not looking for English books - so only then will they look there.
Many of these books are from "Projekt Gutenberg - de" which can only be read online - downloaded and converted to epub and Kindle versions.

Further, I estimate that more of them came from users who have scanned their books, put them in text and mostly in epub/azw form so that they can be read in both systems without problems.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 06-07-2021 at 04:36 AM.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:48 AM   #64
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Austria as a member in good standing of the European Union is subject to the EU's intellectual property statutes. Under those statutes, downloading content that is not legally available for download is in itself, an illegal act. Though you might want to argue with the European Union Intellectual Property Office, I suspect it's not going to get you much sympathy.
You may be of the opinion that you know how the EU works - but you're way off the mark on this one.
EU cannot create laws - parliament has only advisory function.
The laws are created by the individual member states for their nationals.
Thus, your link, which is based on a faulty translation, has for me exactly the value 0.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:28 AM   #65
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Thus, your link, which is based on a faulty translation, has for me exactly the value 0.
Typical. If I violate the law, it doesn't count. If anyone else violates the law, they're criminals.

You can deny as much as you want, but that doesn't change the fact that you download illegal ebooks without paying the author or publisher and that makes you a thief in many people's eyes, no matter the technicalities.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2021, 11:04 AM   #66
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
You can deny as much as you want, but that doesn't change the fact that you download illegal ebooks without paying the author or publisher and that makes you a thief in many people's eyes, no matter the technicalities.
Maybe you understand it this way - I download from some sites only public domain books:
a) because there are almost only those with leather and gold edges in my library - I don't know any such from current authors.
b) and in my eyes everyone who uses DRM for any reason is one who:
- violates the law existing in cultural states:
- the EBook distributor,
- the publisher,
- and therefore also the author
harms.
And now the exciting question: how do you describe such a damaging action? I call it theft.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:28 AM   #67
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And now the exciting question: how do you describe such a damaging action? I call it theft.
Call it what you want. I suspect no one cares anymore. You've managed to nuke all your credibility here.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:11 PM   #68
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Call it what you want. I suspect no one cares anymore. You've managed to nuke all your credibility here.
You know for sure that your opinion and the opinion of like-minded people do not interest me at all - just as I do not deal with thieves in real life.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:50 PM   #69
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You know for sure that your opinion and the opinion of like-minded people do not interest me at all - just as I do not deal with thieves in real life.
Yeah, same.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:24 PM   #70
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
You said earlier that you download ebooks from pirate sites. You don't consider pirates to be thieves?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 01:50 PM   #71
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
You said earlier that you download ebooks from pirate sites. You don't consider pirates to be thieves?
Those who illegally put somehow modified (e.g. DRM removed) ebooks on the Internet, anywhere, are thieves in my eyes.

However, those who scan public domain paper books, put them into ebook form and make them available are acting completely legally and also admirably.
Such users also use well-known pirate sites to make their work available to others.

And to answer your question: there are not only pirates on pirate sites.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:03 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Those who illegally put somehow modified (e.g. DRM removed) ebooks on the Internet, anywhere, are thieves in my eyes.
I do you consider someone who puts DRM free (Tor, Baen, Star Trek, Smashwords, etc) eBooks that are in copyright to be a thief?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 02:31 PM   #73
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

However, those who scan public domain paper books, put them into ebook form and make them available are acting completely legally and also admirably.
Such users also use well-known pirate sites to make their work available to others.

And to answer your question: there are not only pirates on pirate sites.
That's a mighty fine line you are walking. You call them pirate sites, yet you don't consider pirate sites thieves since they also have some legal ebooks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 02:54 PM   #74
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
Somehow, I felt this to be a rather appropriate quote.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 02:56 PM   #75
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
That's a mighty fine line you are walking. You call them pirate sites, yet you don't consider pirate sites thieves since they also have some legal ebooks.
The site operators do nothing except provide a certain amount of space and bandwidth for a small fee - they don't particularly care what is stored or linked on it.
In my opinion, there should be much more legal content than pirate loot.

Tags
epub, ereader, format, kindle, orange screen