Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-02-2021, 11:06 AM   #16
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
An electronic display that can rolled and folded like paper is a huge game changer. Then add color... If they can get this stuff to really work like paper, then everything will change.
The first episode of "Firefly" threw in the Holy Grail of ePaper as a split-second bit of world-building:

One of the many reasons that show is awesome.

ApK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epaper.gif
Views:	610
Size:	816.8 KB
ID:	187997  
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:13 AM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 03:12 PM   #18
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Of course, someone might just be planning to sell a product to us nerds who remember shows like "Earth: Final Conflict".
Oh, I do
mbovenka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:25 AM   #19
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Why would you want to roll it? It would fit better in a case, pocket or purse flat.
To shout at someone across a room! Newspapers are perfect megaphones.

Still, I'm waiting until they release an e-reader I can fold into either a boat or a Napoleon hat.

And as soon as I can fold one into a paper plane and let it fly, I'm sold.
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:30 PM   #20
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x6c616d70 View Post
My primative mind fail to see a practical application for this technology. Or rather, this just look so fragile at the moment. I'd be scared to take it out.
I presume you could have said the same thing about the Wright Flyer at Kittyhawk.

You DO see the possibilities once it advances to a state where it's affordable and durable, right?

The technology has to start somewhere.
Or, to borrow from Ben Franklin: “What good is a new-born baby?”

Last edited by ApK; 07-06-2021 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 12:00 PM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I have so many questions about those Harry Potter moving pictures. If you stare at that newspaper for an hour, what does the guy do? Are they gifs that keep repeating, like what you posted?

The fat lady guarding the door to the Gryffindor... how does she do that? Does she have her own life/consciousness? In the wizarding world, are you then making a clone or a golem every time you take a photo (or paint a picture)?

Overthinking these things is probably why I don't care for Harry Potter.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:02 PM   #22
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
And as soon as I can fold one into a paper plane and let it fly, I'm sold.

Whoever created the "send" icon was a very forward thinker, it seems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	email-send-icon.png
Views:	181
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	188090  
Old 07-08-2021, 09:07 PM   #23
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I have so many questions about those Harry Potter moving pictures. If you stare at that newspaper for an hour, what does the guy do? Are they gifs that keep repeating, like what you posted?

The fat lady guarding the door to the Gryffindor... how does she do that? Does she have her own life/consciousness? In the wizarding world, are you then making a clone or a golem every time you take a photo (or paint a picture)?

Overthinking these things is probably why I don't care for Harry Potter.

But, maybe you just haven't really absorbed the idea of magic.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:08 PM   #24
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
I'm glad someone else remembers that show. Can't wait to finally get their comms device in real life.

Andrew
It was an impressive device. So was their ship.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote