Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-10-2022, 06:28 AM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy. I can't remember the last time I used either of the terms to try to search for books (or browsed by category at an online bookstore). I have zero beef with the way things are.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 08:04 AM   #32
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I would prefer that they were separated, but it doesn't bother me that they are grouped together.
Apache
I intensely dislike when the metadata is blatantly wrong. Hard Science Fiction listed as both Science Fiction and Fantasy are just one of many example.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2022, 10:57 AM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
You really need to tell me where to look again.
Here you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo Sci Fi.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	193750  
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:09 AM   #34
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I do actually know how how to search subcategories, despite your apparent assumption that I do not.
What assumption? If anything, my mistake was believing your words:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
...I just hate having to scroll through 50 pages of "SF/Fantasy" at Kobo to find 5 actual SF stories.
If you were engaging in puffery, that's not my problem.

Quote:
When I select "Science Fiction" from the sub-category list at Kobo, these two are both on the first page of results:

Neither is SF to me, despite labelled as such. I did not go past the first page since my point was proved thereon. To find SF even in the subcategory so labelled, one still has to to scroll past Fantasy books.
It sounds like you answered your own complaint here:

Quote:
Kobo's labelling is awful...
Maybe shop or at least browse elsewhere.

None of your complaints stems directly from Sci-Fi and Fantasy being lumped together into one larger category. As you mentioned, books that do not have this 'problem' (regency romances) are also tagged as non-fiction. I do think there's a problem with authors/publishers being able to tag books themselves.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:38 PM   #35
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Here you go.
Wow, I didn't even know those were there.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2022, 12:10 AM   #36
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Incidentally, I just went to Kobo again, clicked Science Fiction and Fantasy, sub-category Science Fiction to see how much fantasy I would have to wade through to find so-called 'real' science fiction.

The top book is Alexis: Alien Surrogate Agency #3, which looks like shit, but still falls under science fiction (and romance), I guess.

But below that I got Logan's Run, a novella collection by Roger Zelazny, an anthology called Someone In Time, Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey and Eyes of the Void by Adrian Tchaikovsky. All of it seemed fair to me.
Old 05-12-2022, 01:22 PM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

I feel like I killed the conversation
Old 05-12-2022, 02:57 PM   #38
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I feel like I killed the conversation
I can try to revive it I have a tendency to draft long answers and then never getting around to posting them. I wrote this some days ago:

The bookstores could fix this by having a few employees do spot checks of tags now and then, increase a publisher's "sloppy tagger" score every time they found an obvious mistake, and make it easy for customers to exclude publishers with a bad score from their search results. If a few big stores did this, we'd quickly see an improvement.

I've never seen a bookstore with a good interface for searching or browsing, oddly enough. I'd think it would be worthwhile to make it easy for customers to find something they want to buy.

There are some good implementations of search outside stores, though:
  • Storygraph (a Goodreads type site) lets you both include and exclude genres, ie. show me books which are tagged with "science fiction" and are NOT tagged with "fantasy". It also requires you to add one or more "moods" to your search - adventurous, dark, hopeful, etc.
  • Smart Bitches Trashy Books (a book review site for romance) has a book finder which lets you filter for genres, tropes, and character archetypes, for instance contemporary romance with an enemies-to-lovers story arch and a single parent as one of the protagonists.
  • Archive of Our Own (a fan fiction archive) has the most extensive tagging and searching interface I've seen, with options to include and exclude works on more than 20 different criteria. Since anyone can publish there with no quality filter, the need for good tools to sort through the multitude is high. Authors can add any tags they want, without any restrictions, and volunteer "tag wranglers" do maintenance, like fixing tags with typos, and marking synonyms, so if you're searching for the tag "doctors without borders" you'll also find works tagged with "Médicins Sans Frontières | Doctors Without Borders" and "kinda like doctors without borders". (Yes, those are real tags.) It's run by fan volunteers with a passion for what they do. I'm guessing this would be too labour intensive for a commercial site which needs to pay people for their time.
There should be a market for a good book finding site! The search results could link to several book stores, and it could make money on affiliate links and paid supporting membership. I'd gladly pay to keep a site like that alive!

Last edited by hildea; 05-12-2022 at 03:40 PM. Reason: typo
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:05 PM   #39
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I have always been fine with both together since I enjoy both genres.

How about relabeling the shelf Speculative Fiction.
An early name for what we now call science fiction. If it had been adopted we would probably be saying SpecFic rather than sci-fi
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:36 PM   #40
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
An early name for what we now call science fiction. If it had been adopted we would probably be saying SpecFic rather than sci-fi
In Norway, some pioneers tried to establish "fantastisk litteratur" (fantastic literature) and "fabelprosa" (fable prose) as names of "science fiction + fantasy + horror", but neither of them stuck, unfortunately.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:39 PM   #41
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Some people get upset when the term sci-fi is used; in their rule book it should always be science fiction. I think that they think that sci-fi cheapens the genre while science fiction makes it sound better; say what?
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:01 PM   #42
Cyclops
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Some people get upset when the term sci-fi is used; in their rule book it should always be science fiction. I think that they think that sci-fi cheapens the genre while science fiction makes it sound better; say what?
I'm normally of the opinion that sci-fi is the stuff you see on TV with its bad science and whooshy sounds in space, whereas SF is found in books, best written by those with a scientific background.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:16 PM   #43
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
I've never seen a bookstore with a good interface for searching or browsing, oddly enough. I'd think it would be worthwhile to make it easy for customers to find something they want to buy.
Good, bad, or indifferent... I don't think online bookstores have any real incentive in making it easy for customers to find things they want to buy. Seems they're more interested in getting customers to buy the things they want them to buy. I'm not crazy about it myself, but neither do I get too worked up over it. It's not like I'm in danger of not being able to find lots of titles I want to read (and have a pretty high expectation of enjoying).

Believe me: if it was monetarily in their best interest to have interfaces that allowed customers to quickly and easily find the type of books they're looking for, I'm pretty sure they'd have invested in them by now. *shrug*
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 01:23 AM   #44
hildea
Wizard

Quote:
I'm normally of the opinion that sci-fi is the stuff you see on TV with its bad science and whooshy sounds in space, whereas SF is found in books, best written by those with a scientific background.
I've always seen "science fiction", "sci-fi", and "SF" as synonyms. Is it usual to see "sci-fi" as a different subgenre than "SF" in English?

I don't see scientific background as important in SF, though it's probably important in the subgenre called "hard SF" when I was a teenager. (Not sure if that term is much used now.)
Old 05-13-2022, 05:33 AM   #45
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
I don't see scientific background as important in SF, though it's probably important in the subgenre called "hard SF" when I was a teenager. (Not sure if that term is much used now.)
I would say its definitely important. By definition Science Fiction is determined by advances brought about by scientific endeavour.