Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-19-2022, 07:51 PM   #1
sovre
Zealot
sovre began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini; iPhone; Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen)
remove recommendations on paperwhite?

I hadn't updated my paperwhite for quite awhile but just did and it is now running the 5.14.2 firmware.

I notice they changed the look of the interface with this update, but also on my home screen I am getting book recommendations, something I know I had disabled on the previous firmware.

I tried to find a way to disable these recs in settings, but can no longer find the option, and all the online tutorials I can find seem to be for older versions of the firmware.

Is Amazon now forcing these recommendations on customers, or is there some way to disable them?

Thanks for your help.
sovre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 02:51 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovre View Post
I hadn't updated my paperwhite for quite awhile but just did and it is now running the 5.14.2 firmware.

I notice they changed the look of the interface with this update, but also on my home screen I am getting book recommendations, something I know I had disabled on the previous firmware.

I tried to find a way to disable these recs in settings, but can no longer find the option, and all the online tutorials I can find seem to be for older versions of the firmware.

Is Amazon now forcing these recommendations on customers, or is there some way to disable them?

Thanks for your help.
Don’t go to Home Screen.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 06:06 AM   #3
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Recommendations have been there for years now.

Can't really escape it. So as tomsem said, don't go to your homescreen. You can totally use your Kindle just from the Library view.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:12 PM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
With older firmware it is possible to disable the homescreen. Is this still possible? Maybe the OP could do that.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:38 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
With older firmware it is possible to disable the homescreen. Is this still possible? Maybe the OP could do that.
No, but it isn’t necessary because it will stay in Library if you start reading from there.
Old 03-24-2022, 02:07 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Or.....DEAR GOD!....if one's thumb accidentally touches the Home screen.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 01:51 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Or whenever Kindle restarts, it will start on Home.
Old 03-27-2022, 04:38 PM   #8
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
It’s possible to revert back to the Home Screen from 5.14.1 but to do so, the device needs to be jailbroken. The only change needed is a minor tweak to a config file and a reboot.

I’ve been sitting on an exploit chain that allows this on recent firmware versions for a while but have so far been doing the whole responsible disclosure dance… for now.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 04:15 AM   #9
adwait8
adwait8 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
The "for now" part has me hopeful for the pw5 14.1.1 JB
adwait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 12:44 AM   #10
adwait8
adwait8 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by katadelos View Post

I’ve been sitting on an exploit chain that allows this on recent firmware versions for a while but have so far been doing the whole responsible disclosure dance… for now.
Will you get in trouble if you share it without Amazon fixing it first?
adwait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 09:52 AM   #11
Princess kindle
Enthusiast
Princess kindle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 8th
Hello everyone, a related question, I apologize because I can't ask here or I should have done it in a separate thread.

With the latest kindle updates, the way to turn the pages of the library changed, now it is with a continuous bar and my mother hates that, according to her now she can't find anything to read despite having more than 100 books on the kindle. He preferred the old way of turning the pages like in a book. Is there a way to get back to that? Even doing Jailbreak.
I've never jailbkreaked anything, so I don't know how that works but I would try to change this. With jailbreak, can you go back to the software version that does not have the scroll bar?

The kindle is a basic 10 generation and the software version is the most recent.

Thanks, good day to you.

PS Could it be that many people complain about the bar and Amazon fixes it? I highly doubt it will allow you to disable the new home screen because it loses a display case, but this isn't too much of a problem.
Princess kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 11:21 AM   #12
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess kindle View Post
Hello everyone, a related question, I apologize because I can't ask here or I should have done it in a separate thread.

With the latest kindle updates, the way to turn the pages of the library changed, now it is with a continuous bar and my mother hates that, according to her now she can't find anything to read despite having more than 100 books on the kindle. He preferred the old way of turning the pages like in a book. Is there a way to get back to that? Even doing Jailbreak.
I've never jailbkreaked anything, so I don't know how that works but I would try to change this. With jailbreak, can you go back to the software version that does not have the scroll bar?

The kindle is a basic 10 generation and the software version is the most recent.

Thanks, good day to you.

PS Could it be that many people complain about the bar and Amazon fixes it? I highly doubt it will allow you to disable the new home screen because it loses a display case, but this isn't too much of a problem.
Sad to say there's no jailbreak for the current firmware version of the Kindle. We're pretty much stuck with the way things are now.

Is it the interface she's having troubles with? Layout of the books? 'Cause I don't think horizontal vs vertical swipes would matter that much.

Is she on Grid or List view? Personally, I don't like grid view.

It takes a while to get used to the new interface. Everything is hidden in their own pockets of settings.

As for complaining to Amazon... well, I doubt they'd revert back the old interface. And no amount of "complaining" we do would change that. Unless it's something that could potentially break the device, we are of a very vocal minority when it comes to these issues.

Unless there's a jailbreak that comes out, best you could do is learn how to navigate the new UI and teach your mother.
Old 11-25-2022, 12:33 PM   #13
Princess kindle
Enthusiast
Princess kindle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 8th
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
Sad to say there's no jailbreak for the current firmware version of the Kindle. We're pretty much stuck with the way things are now.

Is it the interface she's having troubles with? Layout of the books? 'Cause I don't think horizontal vs vertical swipes would matter that much.

Is she on Grid or List view? Personally, I don't like grid view.

It takes a while to get used to the new interface. Everything is hidden in their own pockets of settings.

As for complaining to Amazon... well, I doubt they'd revert back the old interface. And no amount of "complaining" we do would change that. Unless it's something that could potentially break the device, we are of a very vocal minority when it comes to these issues.

Unless there's a jailbreak that comes out, best you could do is learn how to navigate the new UI and teach your mother.
Thank you for responding so quickly. The problem is with the new interface of the library: before the pages were passed as if they were pages of a book, now it is a vertical bar that is difficult for it, it is in the list view and when you move the bar or your finger down it always it gets to the bottom of the list all at once and can't see the ones in the middle.

I will follow your advice and practice a lot to be able to teach my mother. And for me the new home cover is like being in a bookstore full of ads, if the kindle is mine I don't see why I have to put up with its advertising I wish I could remove it but they already said no here. Amazon increasingly complicates the use of the kindle, adds more steps to be able to do the most elementary things

. It's a pity that there is no jailbreak yet and that we are a minority is true, many people just read and that's it and they don't even know caliber.

On the subway, 2 different people have asked me how they put books in the kindle (I always read on the bus) because they bought it but they thought that it brought the books included, and that on Amazon they don't find mucho free content in Spanish, only classics . No literary novelty.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry

Last edited by Princess kindle; 11-25-2022 at 12:36 PM.
Princess kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 12:47 PM   #14
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Thank you for responding so quickly. The problem is with the new interface of the library: before the pages were passed as if they were pages of a book, now it is a vertical bar that is difficult for it, it is in the list view and when you move the bar or your finger down it always it gets to the bottom of the list all at once and can't see the ones in the middle.
If you *tap* the little arrow on the scroll bar rather than holding it down, it moves one "page" at a time and doesn't get away from you. You can also swipe up and down the screen to move one "page" at a time.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 12:54 PM   #15
hleo12
Guru

Quote:

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry
We can always laugh to the point of crying

I don't like how Amazon is doing things this past year, as do a lot of the people here. But since I'm stuck with a Kindle I'm just learning to make the best of the situation.

And I totally agree with the homescreen situation. Most of the screen real-estate is wasted on ads. Sucks to those people who didn't know about the customer service trick and had to pay extra to remove the ads, just for their homescreen to still be filled with ads.