Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2022, 08:01 AM   #1
r3turn3r
r3turn3r began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Autobrightness of SE

How's the brightness sensor on Paperwhite Signature Edition?
r3turn3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 09:08 AM   #2
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
Since Paperwhite 5 Signature Edition has an "Auto-adjusting light" feature, then the answer is yes.

https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-k.../dp/B08B495319
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 03:25 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkasit View Post
Since Paperwhite 5 Signature Edition has an "Auto-adjusting light" feature, then the answer is yes.

https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-k.../dp/B08B495319
The question was not if the SE has an auto-adjusting light feature. It was "how's the brightness sensor" which I took as asking how well it works. I don't own a SE but going by the auto-adjusting light sensors in multiple devices that I've owned, I'm not optimistic. My favourite action with them has been to disable them.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 04:21 PM   #4
hartleyshc
hartleyshc began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Gen, KT4, PW4, PW5-SE
I think it does a fairly decent job for day to day usage. It's responsive without being too responsive. I will notice the change when I first open the case (flip cover). But after that, I don't notice the screen change while reading.

There's really only certain moments during where I might have to set the brightness slightly lower/higher. But I think this might be more of odd weather/light conditions, or just my own eyes adjusting in a new environment (going to another room to read, going outside to read, etc).

I have both the auto brightness set on, and the warmlight set to sunset/sunrise schedule (with a max of 22). I have only had the device for a couple of months, but I can only recall myself actually having to make a manual brightness change only a couple of times.
hartleyshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 04:22 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I too have found auto-brightness to work very poorly of any device I've used that has such a feature. I prefer to adjust the brightness by hand.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 10:02 AM   #6
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
One thing to keep in mind is that everyone's sensitivity to light is different. For instance, I had lasik surgery several years ago, and a side effect (for me at least) was to reduce the actual amount of light reaching my retina; I typically need more light than other people to see well. The auto-brightness setting always results in a screen too dark for me.

If there was a way to fine-tune the baseline brightness level, I might find the feature useful (especially since manually changing the brightness requires a few clicks through the menu), but as it is now I think it's probably only useful to a relatively small subset of people.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 10:38 AM   #7
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I've been using the autobrightness on SE for a couple of months nearly every day. I usually read in the late afternoon in the upstairs living room, so the light is changing constantly. Only have had to readjust a couple of times since my initial adjustments. FWIW, my experience with the auto light changing on the Voyage is similar.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:21 AM   #8
r3turn3r

Damn, I was hoping for it to be a killer feature or something.
I recently sold my Libra in the hope of buying a Libra 2, but that deal fell through, now I can't find a Kobo anywhere near me. It's been a month without a reader and I'm getting the shakes already. So I'm trying to sell myself on a Kindle, but, man, it's rough...
Old 11-14-2022, 06:05 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've had or bought for others 7 Kindles. Since then maybe 8 Kobos. I'd not go back, though I did most recently get a S/H bargain Oasis, but gave it away after about 2 months.
I've had a S/H Nook, Sony T1, iRiver Storybook. Still have a 5″ Sony PRS350 used occasionally if travelling. I got an Android ereader during Lockdown just for Irish Library which uses Bolinda Borrowbox. I got a S/H reMarkable for wife to read some PDFs (hardly used), rubbish compared to my Elipsa. She got Libra original instead of PW3 and then upgrade to Sage. She'd not go back to Kindle.

I've not seen Signature Autobrightness, but I have it on other things and it's pointless. It works not too bad on one tablet, but makes little difference.
I don't use LED frontlight on any ereader unless I'm visiting somewhere with bad lighting, then the fixed level is no issue.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 07:12 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3turn3r View Post
Damn, I was hoping for it to be a killer feature or something.
I recently sold my Libra in the hope of buying a Libra 2, but that deal fell through, now I can't find a Kobo anywhere near me. It's been a month without a reader and I'm getting the shakes already. So I'm trying to sell myself on a Kindle, but, man, it's rough...
Where do you live?
Old 11-14-2022, 09:56 AM   #11
r3turn3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Where do you live?
Russia. Yeah, I know, hope I can leave the damned place forever soon.
Kobo was never officially represented here, but you can find some from time to time, both new and used.
I used to have a Kindle PW2 for a long time before Kobo, and it was a pretty good device, so I'm not opposed to Kindle. But Kobo's software is so much better imo
Old 11-14-2022, 10:12 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3turn3r View Post
Russia. Yeah, I know, hope I can leave the damned place forever soon.
Kobo was never officially represented here, but you can find some from time to time, both new and used.
I used to have a Kindle PW2 for a long time before Kobo, and it was a pretty good device, so I'm not opposed to Kindle. But Kobo's software is so much better imo
I was hoping there was a way to suggest how you can get a Kobo.
Old 11-14-2022, 01:56 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Auto brightness works well enough for me. It doesn't dim enough in the dark, but then I just switch to Dark mode (which has an independent brightness setting).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 02:14 PM   #14
r3turn3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I was hoping there was a way to suggest how you can get a Kobo.
Thanks for the thought. Well, I can buy A Kobo right now, meaning an older one - Clara (not 2e) or Aura, or something like that. But that would be too much of a downgrade.
Old 11-19-2022, 12:51 PM   #15
j.ramaj
j.ramaj is a glorious beacon of lightj.ramaj is a glorious beacon of lightj.ramaj is a glorious beacon of lightj.ramaj is a glorious beacon of lightj.ramaj is a glorious beacon of lightj.ramaj is a glorious beacon of lightj.ramaj is a glorious beacon of lightj.ramaj is a glorious beacon of lightj.ramaj is a glorious beacon of lightj.ramaj is a glorious beacon of lightj.ramaj is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kindle oasis/kindle pw se
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that everyone's sensitivity to light is different. For instance, I had lasik surgery several years ago, and a side effect (for me at least) was to reduce the actual amount of light reaching my retina; I typically need more light than other people to see well. The auto-brightness setting always results in a screen too dark for me.

If there was a way to fine-tune the baseline brightness level, I might find the feature useful (especially since manually changing the brightness requires a few clicks through the menu), but as it is now I think it's probably only useful to a relatively small subset of people.
You can set a baseline brightness. Just manually adjust the brightness in different lighting conditions. The device will remember the setting and will use it in similar lighting conditions. This is the first thing a do on all of my devices when I first get them. I set the max brightness that I want in sunlight/really bright room, brightness for a normally lit room in my home and brightness in a dark room. Once I do that the device does a great job of regulating the brightness within the levels I set. The Kindle operates the same way. I've never had to manually adjust my brightness after the initial setup. If it's left on the default settings then yeah I agree. The brightest is too bright and the lowest is too dim and the in between is hit or miss
j.ramaj is offline   Reply With Quote