Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-15-2022, 04:58 AM   #121
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
I tried Dragon NaturallySpeaking on a desktop PC about 10 or 15 years ago and OK, I had a bit of a rubbish microphone but the results were laughable. This isn't a direct quote but it was the equivalent of this:
Quote:
Mary had a spittle ham
Its lease was quite as glow
etc.
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 06:10 AM   #122
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
I tried Dragon NaturallySpeaking on a desktop PC about 10 or 15 years ago and OK, I had a bit of a rubbish microphone but the results were laughable. This isn't a direct quote but it was the equivalent of this:

etc.
ANY software 10-15 years ago would be less polished than today. I've been using Dragon NaturallySpeaking for about that long now (and have always invested in good quality Sennheiser mics too), and its progress over that time has been a real boon. For any long writing, I now use it as my first draft, and it reduces the amount of typing I have to do by at least 95%. It has learned both my accent and to a large extent my idiolect (through patient training), and given the less-than-common mix of languages from which I draw words I use frequently, this is no mean feat.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 06:46 AM   #123
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
I'm constantly astounded by how well natural speech to text works nowadays. I don't use any standalone software but occasionally use the transcription facility built-in to MS Office, MS Teams etc. and if you speak fairly clearly and deliberately it's amazing. Same with handwriting input by pen - I don't do it often and it blows my mind it can interpret my cursive squiggles.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 02:12 AM   #124
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I just remembered that the Echo that died was for a guest room and guests are coming Monday, so I just replaced the Echo for $6.55. (I don't know how they manage their prices but HURRAY.) It will be here tomorrow by 10pm.

What to say except I love Amazon!
I know their devices are so cheap. It’s rude not to lol I have two echo dots in their boxes still as I don’t have a room to put them in (all rooms I have echo’s already) but they were ridiculously cheap. I might gift then for Christmas.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 09:25 AM   #125
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
If you are fine with this and you never have visitors, or the other people in the place are OK with it, then that's fine. Be aware.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-smart-devices
Not sure if the Facebook Portal, a kind of desktop tablet, is mentioned. It has facial recognition & face tracing via Meta's servers.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 05:10 PM   #126
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And https://www.theregister.com/2022/12/...lexa/?td=rt-3a

Is Gmail at risk?
It's certainly scanned by Google.
Old 12-28-2022, 10:08 PM   #127
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
And https://www.theregister.com/2022/12/...lexa/?td=rt-3a

Is Gmail at risk?
It's certainly scanned by Google.
Do you mean scanned in the sense that the article specifically says it's not? If so, then (and this should be fun) prove it.

As for the articles claim that Google would be unwilling to pull the rug out from under billions of users....well I would like to believe that's true, but....
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 10:12 PM   #128
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I might gift then for Christmas.

Ah, the gift that keeps on giving....until Amazon pulls the plug, and then it totally stops giving.

Last edited by ApK; 12-29-2022 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-29-2022, 05:49 AM   #129
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Do you mean scanned in the sense that the article specifically says it's not? If so, then (and this should be fun) prove it.

As for the articles claim that Google would be unwilling to pull the rug out from under billions of users....well I would like to believe that's true, but....
Your second point casts doubt on first.

On Android there is a built-in thing called "mail". You can put in the imap or pop3 details. But it's not a real email client. Google gets those settings and fetches the email to their server for "mail" to read. They also get all outgoing email. It's really an app to Google (Alphabet) servers.
You can install a real email client on Android.
So I use K9 for email. I have my own email domains.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....fsck.k9&gl=US

Also mysteriously on Android the stock Messaging App tells Google as much as possible, including about SMS. You can install Signal and use it for send/receive of SMS which then is purely using Mobile SMS. This also optionally lets you forward SMS to the Signal Desktop install.

Google lied about the Wardriving when doing Streetview. But now with Android they get all that info in more detail automatically.

Google was also proven to lie about Location services on Android.

Add a payment method easily on Android in Playstore. You then need to use web browser to remove and it's not removed till you contact the payment provider. Paypal automatically sets up a special payment method for Google Playstore, that last I looked, you had to contact Paypal support for removal.

So I bought ONCE from Playstore and might never again. Not sure how the Supermarket sold Playstore gift cards work?

No-one can predict what Google will do about anything.
Old 12-29-2022, 01:00 PM   #130
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
If someone is using the internet, they are being watched, monitored, tracked, and used for many companies gain. Saying "I don't use Google" or "I don't use Amazon" or "I don't use PayPal" ... therefore I am immune is laughable.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 04:03 PM   #131
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Your second point casts doubt on first.
Oh, I got doubts, and suspicions aplenty.

But when a stranger on the internet makes a statement that calls the official account a lie, I like to see actual evidence before accepting the statement as fact.

Last edited by ApK; 12-29-2022 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-29-2022, 04:08 PM   #132
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Google analytics is attached to the sites. You don't need to Search with the G.
Same with Amazon. AWS is tattling. They have hooks at many places.
It becomes pretty obvious that while browsin at X, V, W
I later see ads for those types of items at a way different place.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote