Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-26-2021, 02:17 AM   #1
lemon07r
lemon07r began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 3
Best ways to optimize experience with the Poke 3?

I want to get the most out of my new Poke 3, was wondering what my options are. I don't really see any suggestions other than getting a third party ebook app. I was able to make my experience a lot more enjoyable with my old Libra H20 by installing plato which I found to be miles better than the stock software, and somewhat better than koreader (for my intents purposes).

I'm reluctant to install google play + it's services, or any alternative apps from the native browser/reader apps in fear that I would reduce my screen on time, so I've just been using the stock apps so far. What have you guys found to be best practice with your boox devices?

Surprisingly I've found battery life to be close to my old kobo if I just use the stock apps with the wifi/bluetooth turned off. I get around the same reading time with both when the front light is in use, but still get significantly more screen time with the kobo if it's turned off. Since we're running android here on the poke3, are there any other ways increase the battery duration? I'm open to using adb to disable/remove some apps or services to skinny the OS a bit. I'm curious what others have found to be effective. Would be great if there was a kernel manager that worked with this device, I think with how slow the screen is that the snapdragon SoC is faster than it needs to be at its stock configuration.
lemon07r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:42 AM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
I think you mastered the task of getting battery duration out of you Poke 3 and nothing can be done to get significantly more battery life.

While snapdragon is way more optimized than other SoCs found in android e-ink devices, like Rockchip, is still a general purpose mobile system and will never reach the battery life of industrial SoCs, specially Freescale/NXP.

Of course you can try to squeeze the battery, but IMHO doesn't worth your time. If you still want to do so try with
Code:
adb logcat
while you're using your device. Look for power events/wakelocks and general errors.

Other thing you can do is replace your launcher with Simple Ink launcher. After you do that disable (via android settings) stock launcher and check you can still access stock reader (on some onyx/likebook devices the launcher and the reader are in the same app).

I can't speak about recent Onyx, but on Likebooks there is a service running that's in charge of monitoring the storage and notifying the stock launcher/reader each time a new book is added. Disabling this would save a bit of battery life, but might made your stock app annoying.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2021, 07:58 AM   #3
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
IIRC, you cannot access Neoreader if you're using Simple Ink launcher.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:16 PM   #4
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
IIRC, you cannot access Neoreader if you're using Simple Ink launcher.
Duh! That would mean that Neoreader is part of the launcher app or doesn't have the category LAUNCHER in its manifest. Anyways, that's pretty crappy.

Hopefully one day we will see an android e-ink device that's open and doesn't suck.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:53 AM   #5
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Maybe it's part of the browser as Neobrowser is available.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2021, 07:51 AM   #6
pazos
cosiñeiro

I don't think so. That would be even crappier.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:10 AM   #7
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ez Reader (hanlin v3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Hopefully one day we will see an android e-ink device that's open and doesn't suck.
While I understand and agree with the sentiment, I do want to say that the Poke 3 is the closest I've seen so far to meeting this desire.

With a bit of configuring such as adding gestures, turning on google play and adjusting the some of the other defaults, this reader does allow me to do a lot of reading without the device really even being noticed.

My current biggest issue is that I'm using fbreader and some of the menus and displays are using a font that is very difficult to read (not for the book, just the menus and stuff) and I've yet to find a way to change them.
hyegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:24 AM   #8
pazos
cosiñeiro

@hyegeek

My standards for a device that doesn't suck might be different than yours:

1. Release the source code of GPLv2 code.
2. Provide a launcher that can be replaced without crippling other stock applications.
3. No Playstore at all, as it is impossible to comply with google certification.
4. No crappy stores that distribute unauthorized copies of random apps

5. [optional]: a stock reader that's able to handle hyphenation in languages other than english.
6. [optional]: a stock reader that's able to use common android features, like dict lookups on other apps.
7. that stock reader should be released with source code too, if it is using codebases like FBReader, MuPDF, or djvulibre

A big plus would be an android device that removes the MTP crap and uses USB mass storage mode. I understand why MTP is appealing in a mobile device but for a reader it doesn't make sense at all: just 1. connect to computer 2. show a splash screen saying "is connected" and 3. return to last screen once the device is dettached from computer.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:30 AM   #9
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Duh! That would mean that Neoreader is part of the launcher app or doesn't have the category LAUNCHER in its manifest. Anyways, that's pretty crappy.

I concur. It is not possible to add neoreader to the navball explicitly as an application. I suppose this explains why. On the other hand, neoreader does exist as a separate apk.

Yes, it's a shame Onyx is not open. But it has quite a large user base now. I wonder if it could be jail-breaked?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:44 AM   #10
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Yes, it's a shame Onyx is not open. But it has quite a large user base now. I wonder if it could be jail-breaked?
Onyx is open. The readers have an open bootloader. Rooting is easy! Sdk with screen refresh libraries is available.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:54 AM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@hyegeek

Agreed.

Quote:
3. No Playstore at all, as it is impossible to comply with google certification.
Really? I thought playstore could be installed?

Quote:
6. [optional]: a stock reader that's able to use common android features, like dict lookups on other apps.
What FW are you on? Someone said that FW 3 now allows lookup with external dict apps. Not sure as I am on 2.3. Of course, if it was open, we could do it for them.

Quote:
7. that stock reader should be released with source code too, if it is using codebases like FBReader, MuPDF, or djvulibre
Agreed. Onyx illegal policy sucks. Show me a comparable e-reader that is open and I will give them money.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:55 AM   #12
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ez Reader (hanlin v3)
Quote:
While there is overlab, that would seem to be the case.
Quote:
I thought this one was required to comply with GPL. Do you have a specific example of where they are not doing this?
Quote:
2. Provide a launcher that can be replaced without crippling other stock applications.
While I have not yet tried to replace the launcher on the Poke, I did add a launcher on my nook. By not setting a default for the home, I was able to have a good launcher and the nook launcher both in use. Not perfect, but usable.
Quote:
4. No crappy stores that distribute unauthorized copies of random apps
Having a store is better than not having a store. You may be more upset with Google then the other vendors on these.
Quote:
A big plus would be an android device that removes the MTP crap and uses USB mass storage mode. I understand why MTP is appealing in a mobile device but for a reader it doesn't make sense at all: just 1. connect to computer 2. show a splash screen saying "is connected" and 3. return to last screen once the device is dettached from computer.
This was my opinion as well in the past, I've come to appriciate MTP as there have been plenty of times I want to access an android device from both the device itself and my computer at the same time.
hyegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:11 AM   #13
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos View Post
Onyx is open. The readers have an open bootloader. Rooting is easy! Sdk with screen refresh libraries is available.
I am not aware of a root method for recent models. Glad to hear it is possible, but I thought it was hard as it does not exist for newer models. Indeed, as I understand it, newer versions of all Android, even for 6, are hard to root.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:32 PM   #14
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I am not aware of a root method for recent models.
Code:
Poke3:/ # id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root)
Mmm, I'll have to write this up as soon as I get something clean.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:59 AM   #15
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
To root you need access to the boot or recovery images.
There are two methods, I've done both.

Method #1
Get a system update.upx either from the main website or just from "check updates", download, but don't install.
Decrypt the update
Get boot.img
Extract the kernel
Extract the kernel symbols
Disassemble the kernel
Patch the kernel to make it insecure.
Fastboot boot the patched kernel.
Use dd to copy any partition.

Method #2
Use EDL mode to copy any partition.

Once you have the recovery image you can install magisk.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote