Notices

Old 09-24-2020, 04:59 AM   #1
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur
Winkelschraube began at the beginning.

Device: The (orly) amazing Kindle Oasis 3
Thumbs up KOReader and Fonts

Hello KOReader readers.

I would like to learn something about font management in KOReader. For example, I would like to use "Vollkorn".

http://vollkorn-typeface.com/
http://vollkorn-typeface.com/downloa...korn-4-105.zip

in the TTF folder of the zip file are the following files:

Code:
Vollkorn-Black.ttf
Vollkorn-BlackItalic.ttf
Vollkorn-Bold.ttf
Vollkorn-BoldItalic.ttf
Vollkorn-ExtraBold.ttf
Vollkorn-ExtraBoldItalic.ttf
Vollkorn-Italic.ttf
Vollkorn-Medium.ttf
Vollkorn-MediumItalic.ttf
Vollkorn-Regular.ttf
Vollkorn-SemiBold.ttf
Vollkorn-SemiBoldItalic.ttf

I have created the folder /koreader/fonts/vollkorn. How do I name the files? Or should KOReader automatically recognize regular, bold, italic etc.?

https://github.com/koreader/koreader/wiki/Fonts

Does not answer the questiion
Winkelschraube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:08 AM   #2
elvvis
elvvis began at the beginning.

Device: PW4, tolino epos 2
They should be recognized if you copy them into the koreader/fonts directory without subdirectory.
elvvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2020, 06:45 AM   #3
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

Smile

They can also be in folders, does not matter. See also the readme.md in the /koreader/fonts folder.

The question is rather about the naming. If I copy all files into one folder superbold will be activated automatically. If I then select bold in KOReader, the font becomes a little bit thinner.

If I have only "Vollkorn-Regular.ttf" in the folder, the font is displayed normally.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:15 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Substyles are not supported. Only the four standard ones are.

So, generally, you'll want Regular, Bold, Italic & BoldItalic.

You *might* be able to actually use a different "base" weight (i.e., Thin or Medium instead of Regular), but it *might* require mangling the metadata and/or filenames.

----

What currently happens is that CRe walks over your folder in inode order, finds the first 4 fonts in a matching family, tries to figure out which is which (and generally fails for !Regular base weights), and calls it a day.
Since, instead of 4 exact styles, you have a crapload of stuff in there, you get a "controlled" random result ^^.
Check your crash.log, it'll be spouting quite a few warnings about discarding fonts.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-24-2020 at 08:19 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:37 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Much nicer recap of my half-assed "you might be able to do that" answer, thanks to @poire-z:

https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ment-698520071
Advert
Old 09-27-2020, 02:17 AM   #6
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

Smile

Thank you very much, and to poire-z of course!!!. I now only have four files in the folder /koreader/fonts/vollkorn:

Code:
Vollkorn-Bold.ttf
Vollkorn-BoldItalic.ttf
Vollkorn-Italic.ttf
Vollkorn-Regular.ttf
And it works. Did I get it right, the fonts are recognized by the "font weight metadata", or by the file order? And KOReader can only recognize the four, otherwise something unpredictable happens.

How works bold, italic... if only the "regular" file is there? Is it calculated by KOReader from regular and is it more accurate with the corresponding files?
Old 10-01-2020, 10:01 AM   #7
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
I've tried and checked many times: the only file needed is the -regular one.

KO Reader works out the bold, italic and bold+italic by itself.

Kind regards

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Last edited by Incanus; 10-03-2020 at 07:30 AM.
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:54 AM   #8
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
I've tried and checked many times: the only file needed is the <font name>-regular one.

Lobo works out the bold, italic and bold+italic by itself.
Ok, how works this? Is this calculated from the "regular" by KOReader or is everything in the regular file? NiLuJe the KOReader master, what is happening here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk
Written with my Computer.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:01 AM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Winkelschraube: I have no idea what @Icanus is trying to say.

The post from @poire-z I linked to, on the other hand, is *definitely* canonical.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:37 AM   #10
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
I put a <font name>-Regular.ttf file on the koreader/fonts/ directory.

After that, I restart KO Reader and it will show the <font name> font as an available font.

If I selected and if the text has them, KO Reader will properly display the different styles, using only the <font name>-Regular.ttf file.

Best regards

Enviado desde mi SM-P350 mediante Tapatalk
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:49 AM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yes, that's synthesized Bold & Italic.

Which doesn't have much to do with what @Winkelschraube was asking .
Old 10-04-2020, 11:23 AM   #12
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

Smile

But that is what I meant in my last question. (09-27-2020, 06:17 AM and 10-02-2020, 02:54 PM)
Old 10-04-2020, 12:54 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yes, that's synthesized Bold & Italic.
The font layout/rendering engine will compute those based on the Regular outlines. It's obviously not optimal, but it's better than nothing. Bold is obviously less problematic than Italic .
Old 10-04-2020, 02:28 PM   #14
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

Is there a way to find out if the file "fontname-bold" is used or if the bold is calculated by "fontname-regular"?
Old 10-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Check the logs, if it's not rejected, it's being used.