Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-14-2020, 10:14 PM   #1
winstonma
Zealot
winstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Onyx Boox Nova
Onyx Boox is releasing Note3 & Nova3 in China

Details: https://onyx-boox.jd.com/

Last edited by winstonma; 10-15-2020 at 02:15 AM.
winstonma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:48 AM   #2
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
I wonder if it’s only in China. What are the specs on this device? Why does it look like version 2 in both cases?
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:44 AM   #3
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
The Onyx Note 3 will in all likelihood be sold outside China as they went through the hassle of FCC approval, and it's listed for sale at 519.99 USD on Goodereader, as an upcoming device.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:49 AM   #4
winstonma
Zealot
winstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuregrace View Post
I wonder if it’s only in China. What are the specs on this device? Why does it look like version 2 in both cases?
I just saw the Nova 3 spec from a delete blog post by Goodereader.

It is good to see they put the built in speaker in Nova 3.

Last edited by winstonma; 10-19-2020 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:16 AM   #5
psbernitz
Enthusiast
psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Onyx Nova 2
The improvement is so minimal, they could have called it nova 2 pro. Same size and weight, disappointing
psbernitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:27 AM   #6
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
265g is too heavy for me to have any desire to upgrade from a 6" reader for my 'main' eReader.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:10 AM   #7
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Better processor, better memory, better OS, better BT, speaker included and more audio support with zero weight penalty. Seems if one is cup half full rather than cup half empty it's a pretty good upgrade.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:11 PM   #8
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
Better processor, better memory don't matter as much as you think, since the main limitation is refresh speed of the screen. I wouldn't say android 10 is better, unless people get the devices and are satisfied. Build in audio is pretty cool though.
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:47 PM   #9
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
If I didn't already own a Note Pro and a Nova Pro, I might be tempted. However, even if the newer software features never make it to the Pro models, I don't see any feature significant enough to want to make me part with more money, particularly in the current economy.

Now, if they were to come out with a colour version of either model, that might just sway me...
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:55 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
265g is too heavy for me to have any desire to upgrade from a 6" reader for my 'main' eReader.
.58 pounds is too heavy?

The average mass market paperback weighs .75 pounds.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-19-2020 at 07:58 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:59 PM   #11
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Here they are, all the Notes, side by side.

Maybe they heard our chant.

What do we want?
Minor upgrades!
When do we want it?
In a year!

It's been a full year since the Note 2 came out. All good things are worth waiting for, but the new Note ain't one of them. It's better, it sure is, but not worth the wait, and certainly not the hassle of selling an old device to buy the new.

Color me stoked if the next Note will be a real upgrade. I wish it will be. I was about to say I won't wait a year, but most likely there'll be new editions before that. Anyhow I won't wait. I'll get myself a current Onyx which is good, capable and frankly the best there is, but pretty much on par with the earlier ones. And maybe I'll upgrade when they give us colors.

PS. As I am writing this, I've got a sinking feeling they'll release the Note 3 Air soon. In colors. Immediately after I've placed my order.

PPS. They sell Note Air for $479.99 and the new Note 3 for $549.99. And the Note 2 for $470.99. I am trying to find out what need they intend to fill with the Air, but I failed. The only thing I can think of is that the Air has one heavier side (I think!) which may fit better into the physical keyboard slot, offering better stability when typing on the QWERTY keyboard.

Last edited by norweger; 10-19-2020 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:51 PM   #12
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Based on the above the Note 3 seems to be the way to go. I'm considering a 10" Boox as a replacement for both my Kindle Oasis for reading and my iPad for tablet email, messaging, solitaire, web browsing etc..
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:01 PM   #13
norweger
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
Based on the above the Note 3 seems to be the way to go. I'm considering a 10" Boox as a replacement for both my Kindle Oasis for reading and my iPad for tablet email, messaging, solitaire, web browsing etc..
The 10" Boox is excellent for reading. I've tried smaller and larger, and the Note wins bigly. But for emails and messaging, do consider getting their Bluetooth keyboard. They sell it at $36 on Amazon, with free return shipping for anyone in the US. I write that as I doubt their touch screen would be up to speed, especially if coming from an iPad.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:49 PM   #14
winstonma
Zealot

I still don't understand the advantage of Note Air. It has smaller battery, less ram but heavier.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:40 AM   #15
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonma View Post
I still don't understand the advantage of Note Air. It has smaller battery, less ram but heavier.
But it has a different design, which by far exceeds the insignificant disadvantages mentioned - in my eyes it is designed for landscape format.
I don't notice a 42 g difference in this weight range.
3 GB RAM is far enough - I don't notice any difference between Likebook Ares (2 GB) and Likebook Alita (4 GB)
And if you can't get by with 32 GB of storage capacity, you won't get by with 64 GB and will need USB OTG anyway.
Battery capacity? I have sockets at home.
Anyway, I ordered one and it will arrive in the next few days.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote