Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-07-2010, 07:19 AM   #1
nexgen
nexgen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can I add ebooks to my kindle app at iPad/iphone?

I don't own amazon's kindle device but I've got iphone and ipad where I have installed the kindle app.

Until now, I'm just reading the ebooks I purchased from amazon.

Is there anyway I can manually add ebooks to the kindle app from my computer?
nexgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexgen View Post
I don't own amazon's kindle device but I've got iphone and ipad where I have installed the kindle app.

Until now, I'm just reading the ebooks I purchased from amazon.

Is there anyway I can manually add ebooks to the kindle app from my computer?
If they were mobi files, you could - or you could convert them to mobi files with Calibre. There's a thread in the Calibre forum which will put you on the right track.
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Perhaps the free software, "DropBox" might let you. I use it to load .epub files from my computer to my iPhone to read with the app 'Stanza.'

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rique View Post
If they were mobi files, you could - or you could convert them to mobi files with Calibre. There's a thread in the Calibre forum which will put you on the right track.
The iphone explorer trick only works if you have a Mac though
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadata View Post
The iphone explorer trick only works if you have a Mac though
iPhone Explorer works with Windows as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #6
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
iPhone Explorer works with Windows as well.
It doesn't show the Kindle app though on Windows, so you can't sideload mobi books to it, like with Mac using iPhone Explorer.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
Rob_E
Connoisseur
Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: iPod Touch/iPad
Basically the Kindle application works easiest with Kindle books loaded directly from Amazon. You might be able to trick it into accepting other ebooks, but it's not really necessary. Stanza, iBooks, and other programs are available to handle non-Kindle books, and they handle them by default. No work-arounds required.
Rob_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:50 AM   #8
nexgen
nexgen began at the beginning.

Device: none
The primary reason I want the ebooks in Kindle is because, kindle can synchnorize between iphone, ipad and pc. I can start reading the ebook in ipad then continue on iphone and then at last I can review it finally on my pc.

iBooks can do as close as to that but it doesn't provide sync to pc or read via pc.

I think tricking the kindle in that way don't provide the whisper sync function which what I really want.

Any suggestion for this?
nexgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:37 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can't. Reading position synching only works with Amazon-purchased content. This is also true with a "real" Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:01 AM   #10
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
You can do the usb transfer if your iPhone/iPad are jailbroken. But non-amazon ebooks can't be synched with Amazon.

See this link: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57286

Now I use iFunbox instead of iPhoneBrowser because with iFunbox you can search for application folder with keyword. For example, I search for "Kindle", and I can find the ebooks folder easily instead of having to wade through all the installed apps folder.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #11
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven;

Now I use iFunbox instead of iPhoneBrowser because with iFunbox you can search for application folder with keyword. For example, I search for "Kindle", and I can find the ebooks folder easily instead of having to wade through all the installed apps folder.
You can also use iphone folders, it shows application icons so easy to find app folders and its very fast
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:42 AM   #12
dwharrison
Info Geek
dwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can't. Reading position synching only works with Amazon-purchased content. This is also true with a "real" Kindle.
Right.

On the other hand, iBooks DOES sync reading position and bookmarks for content that has not been purchased from Apple. To me, this makes it the epub reader of choice right now.
dwharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #13
Rob_E
Connoisseur
Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: iPod Touch/iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwharrison View Post
Right.

On the other hand, iBooks DOES sync reading position and bookmarks for content that has not been purchased from Apple. To me, this makes it the epub reader of choice right now.
That's good. That's pretty much how I understood it to be, but I haven't been able to use iBooks yet, so I wasn't sure. There's a lot I like about Stanza, but syncing between devices may be the killer feature that makes iBooks the winner.

So basically, right now, you can only have on-line, "whispersync" capabilities using Kindle books purchased from Amazon. You can sneak non-Kindle books into the Kindle application on a specific device, but it won't sync to other devices.

But with iBooks, you do have bookmark syncing that goes across devices, but
a) it's not on-line. You have to sync one device to iTunes and then sync the other device.
b) both devices have to be iBooks-capable Apple devices.

So if you want to read an ebook that you did not purchase from Amazon on your iPad/iPod/iPhone, and then you want to pick up where you left off by reading the same book on your Kindle or other non-Apple ebook reader, it simply can't be done at this time, as far as I know.

But it would be really cool.

I'm also waiting for the technology that will move the bookmark in my physical book as I read the corresponding electronic book. Where's my ap for that?
Rob_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #14
tbergman
Connoisseur
tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle
[QUOTE=Rob_E;1050451]
But with iBooks, you do have bookmark syncing that goes across devices, but
a) it's not on-line. You have to sync one device to iTunes and then sync the other device.
b) both devices have to be iBooks-capable Apple devices.

QUOTE]

The syncing between devices does not involve iTunes and happens wirelessly. I find it to be reasonably reliable between my iPad 3G and my iPhone. Occasianally it doesn't seem to know which device was used last but this is rare. I assume Apple has provided some sort of server for this purpose. It does, as you state, require 2 apple devices.
If anyone knows how this actually works, I'd be interested.
tbergman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #15
dwharrison
Info Geek
dwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_E View Post
To clarify a bit, iTunes is involved when loading the book into iBooks.

I've never done network traces to see what's being sent, but the fact that it can support books not purchased from Apple makes it seem like it is generating a unique ID for the book when it is first loaded into iTunes and then syncing using this ID. Given that it doesn't require both devices to be syncing at the same time, it's pretty clear that it's syncing against an Apple server somewhere in the cloud.

But as tbergman said above, once that's done, sync is over 3G or wifi. It's worked pretty reliably for me provided I make sure to exit the book to the iBooks home screen.

It actually works better than Kindle syncing in one way: it doesn't have the asinine idea that what I wanted synced is the last page I've *ever* read in the book.

Last edited by dwharrison; 08-09-2010 at 01:32 PM.
dwharrison is offline   Reply With Quote