Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #16
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Why are you on an ebooks forum then?
About to ask the same question. Sometimes trolls just like to start arguments. Time to ignore...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #17
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
This thread feels a little trollish to but it does point out a fundamental difference with the ebook model: that you can't really resell an ebook.

To me, that just adds fuel to the idea that an ebook should be way, way cheaper than a physical book. Like maybe 20% of the price of a paper book.
Which is why they should be priced at the same level that a used paperback would be. Not 10p from a jumble sale, but the price level set by Ebay, Amazon, Abe, etc. Which by an odd coincidence, is a little bit under £3.

That is what it will take for ebooks to go mass market, but I don't think we will get that price level until people can buy ebook readers in Tesco for £30 or so.

At the moment, people with ebook readers are the sort of people who had mp3 players in 1997.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #18
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
The question should just ask whether ebooks are too expensive. Including the idea of giving books to charity just muddies the water. Personally I don't give books to charity as I rather like seeing them in my library but that's me. In answer to your question I'd say yes, ebooks are way too expensive. Luckily there are so many free sources for ebooks out there that the question doesn't really concern me.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #19
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
But each hard copy book which one purchases has a significant carbon footprint, so ebook reader hardware, once one has read a couple of ebooks (varies depending on brand) one begins to come out significantly ahead in terms of net energy usage and impact on the environment. See my post in this thread for the actual calculations:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24868

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #20
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Some of us keep each and every book we enjoy, with the thought that we might re-read it again someday, or that our children/grandchildren might do the same. My own love of literature began with my grandfather's library, and it is a legacy worth remembering.

If you feel compelled to clean out your once-read volumes, and donate them to some sort of charity, I applaud your generosity... but should you belittle others for not doing likewise, your shortsightedness is rather likely to undermine any perceived credibility you might have otherwise attained.

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #21
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbie View Post

Comments please!!
You asked for comments. Next time specify that you only want positive comments by people who agree with you.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #22
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
You asked for comments. Next time specify that you only want positive comments by people who agree with you.
But that would have been a much shorter thread! And more boring, too.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #23
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
He's British; he means "bin", as in "throw in the dustbin", the way an American would say to "trash" something.
My apologizes then, I misunderstood....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #24
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Why are we using ebooks at all when we can generate £2-£3 per book for charity when we have finished with our hard copy books.?? I donate all my books to the British Heart Foundation who then sell them for the above sum. They are the purchased and read by someone who hopefully takes them back so that they can be sold again. You cannot do this with ebooks so therefore we should bin all the ebook readers and get back to print. The fact that a lot of ebooks are the same price or more expensive than the printed copy only makes this argument more vaid

Comments please!!

Ummm... That's *wonderful* that you are into raising money for your favorite charity by donating your dead-tree books to it for resale. I applaud you.

Now. Why should *I* be forced to endure all the problems of dead-tree reading simply because *you* want to help charities? Sorry, but the 'ability to help a charity some time down the line' is NOT a major concern for me when I buy something. The disadvantages of dead-tree books far outweigh the 'feel-good-ism' I *might* derive from donating used books. ( Call me a curmudgeon if you want, but true freedom involves being able to decide not just *what* charities I want to support, but also being able to decide to NOT SUPPORT any charity. )

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #25
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
I should have clarified that I was refering to the UK where we already have charity shops on the high street that generate a lot of money by recycling good books. I would not be persuaded to buy an ebook reader until the cost becomes more competitive. With ebooks there is no distribution cost and nocost for raw material in my view the price at the moment is a complete rip off.
Cost of my (refurbished) K2 (US model) = $48.97
Number of ebooks read on same = 547
Share of cost of device added to net cost of each ebook = $0.08952.

Cost of retail K2i = $189
Same number of ebooks read = 547
Share of cost added had I purchased a new K2i = $0.34552

Given the advantages of reading ebooks, the additional $0.09 (or $0.35 with a new K2i) per ebook cost of buying at this time is negligible. And with an average 'life' of at least a decade for a K2, at my current rate of ebooks per year, the 'cost' per ebook of buying falls below one cent.

And I *love* to re-read my favorite stories. If I'm constantly 'bin'ning them, I'm constantly having to repurchase them. And if I choose to keep them around I have the added expense of building more and more bookshelves - losing valuable room space. Nope. Replacing the low cost of ebooks and ebook readers with the high cost of dead-tree ownership *just* to help a charity? Does NOT compute!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #26
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
I feel compelled to point out that every time I've walked into an Oxfam shop, which would have been to buy a used book, they haven't exactly bursting at the seams with books. So it would appear that only a very small percentage of books make their way into these charity shops.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #27
wgrimm
Addict
wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Somehow I do not think so.

I have little room as it is for my paperback and hardback collection, buying more dead tree versions is not feasible for either my wife or myself.

If you do not like the price of ebooks, do not buy them. Pretty simple really.

I shop around and read a lot of indie author ebooks which rarely cost more than US$7-8, which is roughly $10 cheaper than a new or used paperback.

Digital books are the future, not bulky hard cover books.
Yeah, after the situation I am having with ereader.com, I am not so sure that is the case. I am unable to download over 40 of the books I bought there. That's somewhere between 600 and 800 dollars. If I buy a paper book, it won't just disappear on me.

This is really going to affect my buying habits. And probably any book I plan on referencing or re-reading will be bought in hardback. Who cares if you save a few bucks if the book could disappear at any time.

I am going to call my AG's office about this. Seems to me that this is theft, plain and simple. And I think it is doing a great disservice to the ebook market, and will probably cause a lot more readers to consider piracy as a way of getting their books.
wgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #28
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
My ebooks won't randomly disappear.

But then again, I don't buy DRM-restricted ebooks, either.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #29
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I have a better idea!
Lets ban the internal combustion engine, then put all the out of work people to work, plowing fields!

Brilliant.

and for the record, some of us don't buy hardcover books. and trying to "donate" boxes of paperbacks? Not even the libraries want them.

I'd say more, but it would just be vitriolic, so I'm signing off...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #30
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Some of us like to keep our books and don't want our entire house filled with our books. Some of us are voracious readers and love carrying one small reader with over 1000 books on it with us, instead of just one or two pbooks.

And as others have said it isn't that easy to get rid of your used paperbacks. I finally got a local library to take my pbooks that I replaced with ebooks. I later discovered they sell donated paperbacks at their quarterly book sales for 25¢ each. Not much of a charitable contribution.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote