Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I'm kind of surprised that no one has mentioned noticing the recent performance improvements for large libraries.
I guess not a lot of people have large libraries. The improvements become noticeable only if your library is larger than a few thousand books. There were a couple of messages about it on Twitter and Facebook though.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #17
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
The problems I see with the folder structures are the inconsistencies. The sort order inside the database is opposite of the folder structure on disk.

Also, if you do a Save Files to Disk, the output is also opposite of the folder structure. This complicates a backup because I back up the entire directory but I'd also like to do a File Save to Disk to get the .opf files. Of course, this creates another folder and copy of each book. I know this backup strategy is redundant as I don't need the opf files if I have the metadata.db file. I just hate having to rely on one big single file to have all my information.
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #18
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I guess not a lot of people have large libraries.
There have been a lot of recent improvements to Calibre that have made it much nicer to use. Several of them made it easier/faster to continue moving my collection into Calibre. However, this is the only one that solved a problem that was truly jeopardizing my continued use. It was getting to the point that I hated to make any changes to the database.

And, regarding recent improvements, I have an aside to Chaley, if he reads this - I just realized that saved searches are accessible through the content server! They save a lot of typing. The date searching also works there. Thanks!
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipr View Post
The problems I see with the folder structures are the inconsistencies. The sort order inside the database is opposite of the folder structure on disk.

Also, if you do a Save Files to Disk, the output is also opposite of the folder structure. This complicates a backup because I back up the entire directory but I'd also like to do a File Save to Disk to get the .opf files. Of course, this creates another folder and copy of each book. I know this backup strategy is redundant as I don't need the opf files if I have the metadata.db file. I just hate having to rely on one big single file to have all my information.
Save files to disk is anything you can set the save template to.

There are inconsistencies within Calibre

The Luggage tag sorts Author by first name, last name,: the bookshelf display sorts by author sort.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Why should they be the same? There's absolutely no connection between the two. And you can change save to disk to use either author or author_sort

@the_ducks: Author sort is a property of a book. The tag browser display a collection of authors. There is no author sort information associated with author names.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #21
Zipr
Zealot

Thanks for the tip on the Save to Disk template, I'll check that out tonight.

Quote:
Why should they be the same? There's absolutely no connection between the two.
I have a library of over 2300 books. There have been times where I've found that I've ended up with an empty book folder and another folder for the same title with the proper files. Both folders have different db numbers. I'm sure it is because of my own doings. But, it would be easier to go down the list in Calibre and refer to the same folder on disk. As it is, it takes a mental conversion and a lot of jumping around inside my ebooks folder. Not a big deal, but just an example of what I'm talking about.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #22
Zipr
Zealot

Quote:
Why should they be the same? There's absolutely no connection between the two. And you can change save to disk to use either author or author_sort
I just realized the problem with this. I changed Save to Disk to use the same folder structure as the database uses. Then I saved all my books, hoping that it would write the opf files into the same directories. It was after doing this that I found that the database seems to truncate the folder name after so many characters whereas Save to Disk does not. Now I have hundreds of duplicates in my folder.

Ex:

4_50 from Paddington_ a Miss Marple myst (2683)
4_50 from Paddington_ a Miss Marple mystery (2683)

A Distant Mirror_ the calamitous 14th ce (2996)
A Distant Mirror_ the calamitous 14th century (2996)

Now I have a huge mess to clean up.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:28 AM   #23
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
I just realized the problem with this. I changed Save to Disk to use the same folder structure as the database uses. Then I saved all my books, hoping that it would write the opf files into the same directories. It was after doing this that I found that the database seems to truncate the folder name after so many characters whereas Save to Disk does not. Now I have hundreds of duplicates in my folder.

Ex:

4_50 from Paddington_ a Miss Marple myst (2683)
4_50 from Paddington_ a Miss Marple mystery (2683)

A Distant Mirror_ the calamitous 14th ce (2996)
A Distant Mirror_ the calamitous 14th century (2996)

Now I have a huge mess to clean up.
not very hard to do just use windows search and select files created today
you can delete all the new files.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:14 PM   #24
Dr. Gunn
Dr. Gunn began at the beginning.

Device: Something running Android
Mendeley is working on a mobile version

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplauche View Post
That's not my issue. I like that aspect of Calibre very much. It's just that the way Calibre watches, manages and organizes folders is incompatible with my use of Mendeley Desktop as a research, bibliographic, and citation tool. I want to use Calibre for all of my pdfs and ebooks, because it does important things Mendeley does not (e.g., send to device, conversion to epub, etc.).
gplauche et al., sorry to barge in here, and I don't know if you've heard from Mendeley support on this or not, but Mendeley is working on a version that will work on mobile readers. The database admins would appreciate it if you didn't upload things that aren't academic papers to Mendeley Web, but it is your space and you can do with it what you like. Let me just point out that while it's wasteful to have multiple copies on your local disk, it would also be wasteful to have extraneous material synchronized to your Mendeley Web account, and that may be in shorter supply than your local disk. (Though if you need more space on Mendeley Web, I may be able to help you out - send me a DM or email).
Dr. Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #25
Callumgw
Callumgw began at the beginning.

Device: android
an old thread I know, but I agree with gplauche. I want to run the book catalogue on a headless sever and want to deposit files and have the software catalogue and "publish" for my use, just like music software can do.

C
Callumgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callumgw View Post
an old thread I know, but I agree with gplauche. I want to run the book catalogue on a headless sever and want to deposit files and have the software catalogue and "publish" for my use, just like music software can do.

C
the new add from folder feature might be what you want (or not)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #27
Callumgw

does that monitor a folder and import the new files? or must I got to the application and import again, excluding those already in the database?

C

ps. I played with connect ot folder, but that wasn't right:
"In addition, using the Connect to folder function you can use it with any ebook reader that exports itself as a USB disk"

Last edited by Callumgw; 02-12-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #28
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
does that monitor a folder and import the new files? or must I got to the application and import again, excluding those already in the database?

C

ps. I played with connect ot folder, but that wasn't right:
"In addition, using the Connect to folder function you can use it with any ebook reader that exports itself as a USB disk"
It monitors a folder and imports the new files, then deletes them from the monitored folder. It also has a duplicates-checking option. Go to Preferences > Adding Books > click over to the Automatic Adding tab.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #29
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
For anyone else stopping by to read this thread it would be best if you start a new thread instead of latching on to a thread 21 months old that only tangentially relates to what you actually want to accomplish. The last time this thread was active calibre version 0.6.54 had just been released vice 0.8.39 currently.

It would be better, in a new thread, to completely describe what you want to do in a post and folks here are more then willing to help.

Dredging up a conversation almost two years old rarely gives context to, or helps solve the current question.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #30
Callumgw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
It monitors a folder and imports the new files, then deletes them from the monitored folder. It also has a duplicates-checking option. Go to Preferences > Adding Books > click over to the Automatic Adding tab.
Thanks for the usefull suggestion!

C