Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-21-2007, 08:01 AM   #106
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns66 View Post
if you worry about scratch, use "food wrap" plastic thing to wrap it and it sticks and you can read through it, wont cost you a penny
Actually, it will cost to use plastic wrap. You do have to buy the roll the wrap comes from.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:27 PM   #107
Draccy
SciFi E-Book Fanatic
Draccy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 2
A trick that I used to use on my palm pilot was to apply a small amount of rainx to the screen, and it would "seal" scratches. Might work on a sony reader, but I'm not sure of the screen composition
Draccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2007, 10:30 PM   #108
itry
itry began at the beginning.

Device: HP Ipaq
Take cover off PRS500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Let's not forget this really basic tip... to safely snap the cover back onto the Reader, place the reader face down on a flat surface to distribute the force, and then press the cover onto the back of the Reader until it's all snapped in. You don't want to accidentally damage the screen if you put a finger in the wrong place.

And NatCh... your tip on holding the mark button down is the best! I had forgotten about that, and was lamenting the difficulty in switching between multiple books when I'm reading more than one. This makes it really easy! (I wish it was so easy to continue even without a bookmark!) I like sometimes to have several going at once.. a classic book (like from the Harvard Classics) that's great literature but takes effort to read, another book that's educational or useful, a Christian book to inspire me, and what I read most -- something fun like a novel!
I have just got PRS500 shipped to Aust. How do you get the cover off? Nice to see the best way to put it back on! Dont want to break a new gadget that I am already getting a lot from.
itry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:48 AM   #109
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Just pull the rascal off, itry. It'll make a really nasty noise, but it won't actually hurt it any.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:18 AM   #110
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
And when you want to attach the cover back, put the reader on a hard flat surface, so that you don't damage a screen when pressing on the cover's attachment ring.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2007, 12:12 AM   #111
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
pulling cover off = pulling on the metal
pushing the cover on while the reader is face-down = pushing on the glass when the glass has air under it

so actually, i'd say the best advice is sort of the inverse of Bob's. lay the cover first on a hard surface and then place the reader face up, pushing on the middle of the glass with your findgers till it snaps. counter-intuitive, but the force will be on the glass either way and i think this way is better.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:32 AM   #112
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Something that you seem not to be considering there, alex_d, is that the case is actually a pretty solid metal construction, so the force of doing what Bob described is dispersed through the metal to the flat surface (the display isn't pinched between them at the edges, you see), rather than being placed on the display.

What Bob has described was the suggested cover installation method that the Sony folks gave us directly (it was one of the very first things they told us, in fact, so they apparently felt it was important ) at the Blogger's Day last year. I believe I'll stick to it, and suggest that others do the same.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:39 AM   #113
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yep, I would HIGHLY recommend not pushing with your thumbs directly on the glass to put the cover on. As Nathan points out, Sony was pretty eager to suggest the face down way of attaching a cover (and the screen, while reasonably tough, is probably the weakest part of the device in terms of durabiility).

I never thought about taking it off, but I think I sort of push my fingers in between as I push it off to keep from twisting anything. It sure does make a nasty noise, though!!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:05 PM   #114
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Just pull the rascal off, itry. It'll make a really nasty noise, but it won't actually hurt it any.
HAHA, this is exactly what I was going to say but thought I would get flamed for it. I found after getting it off it is super easy to get back on. The hard part is just getting past the initial fear of hurting it.

I bought the brown Sony cover and love it. I go camping often and put the original cover back on so that I don't get the brown one dirty. Since I swap the covers out all the time I found it to be a non-issue.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:15 AM   #115
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
HAHA, this is exactly what I was going to say but thought I would get flamed for it.
We're fairly flame-retardant around here, that is we try to do our best to retard flamers.

(I'm using that word in it's actual dictionary definition sense, by the way, not with any slang implications, so )
Old 08-31-2007, 01:59 AM   #116
itry
itry began at the beginning.

Device: HP Ipaq
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Thanks . I tried that but was frightened that I would break a new toy
I make a habit of jumping in where angels fear to tread. Just proves I am no angel
itry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:53 PM   #117
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Hehe, my wife was afraid I'd break hers when I offered to show her how svelt it was w/o the cover. She was afraid it was attached with sticky stuff, then I showed her the ring you can see from the back cover. Of course, if she actually heard it getting removed, she'd probably punch me! Yikes!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:38 PM   #118
jpchan
jpchan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Maybe we need a remote control so you can keep your hands under the covers on those cold winter nights.
Thats not a bad idea for an accessory. I would love to have a hand held remote (wireless would be best but if not okay) that I could use to change pages like when I'm using the treadmill at the gym. But usually I just put it in a clear zip lock bag to keep my sweat from getting on it when I hit the page forward button.

ETA: and of course the next post after this one suggest just what I described above.

Last edited by jpchan; 09-02-2007 at 08:45 PM.
jpchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:11 AM   #119
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
The way I put mine on is I lay my hand flat on the screen and turn it upside down. I then use my other hand to push each section gently in till it snaps. This may not work so well for others as I have gigantic hands so lots of surface area. I just nead the snaps with my fingers till they click in so I apply the minimum pressure to the device. I would fear too much pressure if I tried to make them "all" snap in all at once.

VERY poor design but I guess its the only real way to do it. I would have preferred a ZIF style socket that you can "lock" with a twist. It could not "untwist" when closed so nothing to worry about. This would also allow for interesting DOCKING possibilities. I would love to double stick a "lock ring" above my head in the camera (bunk overhangs the main bed) I could then insert and twist and lock my ebook to the ceiling above my head (only about 12 inches from my face which is about perfect)

While I could do that now I would not trust having to remove and reinsert this HIF socket so many times.

Hmmm gets me wondering. Might be possible to Modify the sock into a ZIF style socket I could then mold my own "docks" to fit into the socket. The trick is whether alumilite is as strong as the plastic used now :-)

I just might have to test this. I think I can play with it in a non destructive manner too.

Chis Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:15 AM   #120
NatCh
Gizmologist

Really interesting ideas you've got there, nerys, please let us know what you come up with.