Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 12-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #16
heffe2001
Zealot
heffe2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage 3g
LiPo batteries in these devices are probably single-cell batteries, so 'balancing' shouldn't be required. Balancing is usually done on multi-cell configurations. If the charging circuit in the device doesn't support balancing, then there's no good way to do it, discharging or charging. If the logic isn't there, then it's just not there. They also don't have a memory, period. Their performance does degrade over time, just like any other rechargable battery though, so capacity will change over their lifetime.
heffe2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:57 PM   #17
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
ngrant and heffe, thanks for your responses.

I didn't take a close look, but I assume that they were NiMH batteries that I saw at BJ's.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #18
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
I did not mean to start a whole technical discussion of batteries. LOL

And yes the newer technologies are getting rid of a lot of problems.

I have not seen what is in the Jetbook spec'd
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #19
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8npwrfl View Post
I did not mean to start a whole technical discussion of batteries. LOL

And yes the newer technologies are getting rid of a lot of problems.

I have not seen what is in the Jetbook spec'd
Most all of the units designed for rechargeables these days use lithium ion or a variation there of. These batteries like to be topped off and can be topped off many many times. Unfortunately the chemistry results in batteries with more than 1.5 Volts so they cannot be used for AA cells, although sometimes a battery pack simulates two AA cells side by side.

AA cells use NiMH cells which are better to let run down before recharging since they typically have a finite number of recharges regardless of how far down they are. The newest technology in NiMH cells has solved the self discharge problems with rechargeables and are much better it you leave them in the unit for a long time without using it.

NiCads are only good for solar charged lights and high drain devices like an electric drill these days. They still have problems with the memory effect.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #20
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
So back to my original question - can I just top off the Jetbook (like I do the Kindle) or is it better to let the battery run down??
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 12:12 PM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
So back to my original question - can I just top off the Jetbook (like I do the Kindle) or is it better to let the battery run down??
the JetBook lite does not include rechargeable batteries. Alkaline batteries you just through away. However, how you treat rechargeables depends on which ones you buy and has nothing to do with the jetBook. If you buy NiMH then you let them run down.

Dale
Old 12-24-2009, 04:55 PM   #22
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
the JetBook lite does not include rechargeable batteries. Alkaline batteries you just through away. However, how you treat rechargeables depends on which ones you buy and has nothing to do with the jetBook. If you buy NiMH then you let them run down.

Dale
I bought the regular jetbook...not the lite model
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #23
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
I bought the regular jetbook...not the lite model
good, then you can top it off anytime you wish. The battery life will slowly decay over time but topping off won't increase this decay. Typically the battery will last about 1 to 2 years before you get fed up with the time it lasts and need to replace it.

Dale
Old 12-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #24
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
NiCads are only good for solar charged lights and high drain devices like an electric drill these days. They still have problems with the memory effect.
Dale, does this mean that I should run down my NiCads and not recharge them until they are out of juice?
Old 12-24-2009, 07:26 PM   #25
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Dale, does this mean that I should run down my NiCads and not recharge them until they are out of juice?
Yes, topping off NiCads will cause them to have a memory effect where they won't take a full charge.

Dale
Old 12-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #26
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

All right. Let me ask you a couple of more questions.

1) Is this a situation where topping it off once ruins the battery permanently? I ask because I can't swear that I never topped these old batteries off sometime years ago.

2) The batteries go dead over time, even when never used. Does this have the same effect as using them until they are dead?
Old 12-25-2009, 01:19 AM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
All right. Let me ask you a couple of more questions.

1) Is this a situation where topping it off once ruins the battery permanently? I ask because I can't swear that I never topped these old batteries off sometime years ago.

2) The batteries go dead over time, even when never used. Does this have the same effect as using them until they are dead?
We are talking about NiCADs.

1. Usually you can top off a few times without permanent damage. When the battery seems like it won't hold much of a charge then totally discharge it and recharge immediately after. This will often restore the chemistry and bring it back to life. You really have say 300 charges or 500 charges depending on the design and large and small charges count the same. See 2.

2. When a battery self discharges completely and you hit with a charge occasionally it will reverse the chemistry and ruin the battery. This happens most often when the battery is in a pack. Each cell is 1.2 volts but often several are put together in a series to increase the voltage so you have a 6V pack made from 5 cells for example. Now you hit this pack with a 6V chargers and one of the cells in the pack is totally discharged you can hit it so hard it reverses and destroys itself. Time to buy a new battery.

Dale
Old 12-25-2009, 02:46 AM   #28
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Thanks Dale. I'll be opening my jetBook Lite this morning, and over the next few days I'll see how the old NiCads work. They cost a fair amount, and I'm reluctant to admit to myself that I threw the money away, but if they're of no use, out they will go.

By the way, the batteries were kept in a drawer individually.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #29
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks Dale. I'll be opening my jetBook Lite this morning, and over the next few days I'll see how the old NiCads work. They cost a fair amount, and I'm reluctant to admit to myself that I threw the money away, but if they're of no use, out they will go.

By the way, the batteries were kept in a drawer individually.
Good luck. Try and pair the batteries that are about the same. And then keep them paired. A balance of the two batteries will improve performance. Use a battery tester to compare batteries. This is true for all battery types.

Dale