Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
BLOZZY
BLOZZY began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
disappointed with pdf docs

hi, i have bought the new 600 but i am not satisfied with the pdf handling, my favorite use case.

when i zoom pdf with the zoom panel, the reader does not store the zoom size, when i skip to another page. i have to close the zoom function by "X", skip to another page and zoom again ....if i use the scale function and scale e.g. to medium size all images get lost.
does anybody have a workaround ?

thank you very much
BLOZZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Blozzy--

Unfortunately that's just the way it works. It's the same on the 700 as well. Many people with 600's and 700's on this format have been hoping that Sony would fix this with a firmware update, but so far nothing.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
plim
plim began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is there anyway we could notify sony with this request? Cause its just pathetic to zoom in, every time we go to the next page.
The zoom feature is basicaly useless right now.
plim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
Sure, you can call them and submit your request. Here's the link.
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
R0B_IX
Enthusiast
R0B_IX began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
In the mean time, you might want to give landscape mode a shot (maybe you already have).
R0B_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
love_guru
love_guru began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle DX Graphite
I find that setting the font size to (M)edium works well on most text PDFs. However, graphics and tables won't show up properly, so switching back to Zoom every once in a while to see graphics and tables cannot be avoided.

I have also noticed that image-pdfs works somewhat more acceptable because there's no reflow processing and the page layout shows up the way it should. Setting the font size to Medium makes the page more readable while retaining page layout.
love_guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B_IX View Post
In the mean time, you might want to give landscape mode a shot (maybe you already have).
I find using Landscape mode makes most PDFs readable without zooming, too.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:41 PM   #8
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
This complaint seems to have come up several times. I must admit it's the reason that I ditched my initial plan to buy a 600 and went for a discounted 505 instead, since PDF handling was the main attraction to justify the higher price. The 600 is significantly faster, though, and of course annotation may be important for some (though you can't annotate in zoom mode, which again limits the utility on PDFs).
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #9
cwl
cwl began at the beginning.

Device: none
i find that Small is always too small and Medium is way too big so I simply use Calibre and increase the font of the of the PDF and all is well
cwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Since most PDF's are a bugger for me too, I simply convert them using Calibre. Seems to be the best allround solution so far - zoom really is only useable for zooming in on one part of a page, not for continues reading in my opinion.
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Will Calibre reformat DRMed PDFs? I doubt it.

If you bought a reader to read large PDFs, then you probably made the wrong choice. These devices are designed for eBooks using a markup language. They really don't handle bloated PDFs, and they don't handle tables very well in any format, unless the tables were designed for a small screen.

FYI: The Kindle 2 doesn't handle large sized PDFs well either. I doubt any small screen (6" or less) device ever will.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-11-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #12
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
(though you can't annotate in zoom mode, which again limits the utility on PDFs).
Just wanted to confirm this--I looked through the manual and it had a note saying that there might be problems with annotation in PDF's in anything other than "S". But I didn't see that it *said* there was a similar problem while zoomed......

Honestly, for me, I don't know that the resetting each page is a deal killer, anyway. Most of the PDF's I would be reading are kinda mind-bogglingly incomprehensible (for me) things on MRI physics. After plowing through one page I could probably use a break before launching into the next, so a few moments resetting the thing wouldn't be too bad......
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #13
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Will Calibre reformat DRMed PDFs? I doubt it.
Good point - I had not thought about that, though to be frank I object to DRM on principle and would never buy a book if it only came out as a DRM'ed PDF anyway - the few scientific papers I tried as PDF were not protected luckily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
Honestly, for me, I don't know that the resetting each page is a deal killer, anyway.
It's not just the resetting each page - you also loose the ability to annotate and to simply skip to the next portion of the screen - meaning you're constantly having to move the zoomwindow manually to the next portion of the text. In landscape mode and with the margins trimmed a few PDF's I tried became marginally readable, but only just. If reading PDF's which you cannot convert for whatever reason is the main argument for getting an eReader, I strongly advice getting something big enough to display a page completely or at least full-width (in landscape mode).
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:21 AM   #14
Belanna
Belanna began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS 600
xFrag Frog: I've tried to use Calibre to enlarge the fonts in my pdf but the results is really orrible (I don't know why it keeps putting all the text in the left half of the page) and the graphs (it was a technical pdf) didn't appear at all. What am I doing wrong? Please, I'm desperate since I need the reader to study but it's impossible to do so while you have to read on a zoomed page
Belanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #15
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanna View Post
xFrag Frog: I've tried to use Calibre to enlarge the fonts in my pdf but the results is really orrible (I don't know why it keeps putting all the text in the left half of the page) and the graphs (it was a technical pdf) didn't appear at all. What am I doing wrong? Please, I'm desperate since I need the reader to study but it's impossible to do so while you have to read on a zoomed page
They aren't DRM-ed pdfs? Then why don't you give a try with conversion to other formats? They should be able to respect the graphs (if they're images) while giving you a bit of help on the font size.

(just my two cents... and I'm sorry about the issue!)
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote