Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
yunti
Enthusiast
yunti began at the beginning.

Device: None
Iliad continually corrupts my SD card

I'm a new Iliad user which I recently purchased from another user on this forum.

However I've had problems with it, in that it continually corrupts my SD card files. They disapear, strange corrupt files appear.

I am using the latest firmware, 2.12 (kernal is 2.4.19). I have reformated the card (FAT format), but that didn't help. (it's a 256MB sandisk SD card).

The internal memory seems to work ok and the SD card works on other things no problem.

Any ideas? Thanks
yunti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Dunno
Dunno began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad 2nd Ed.
Why don't you try to format the SD card in FAT32 format? (I read it somewhere in this forum)
Dunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2009, 12:30 AM   #3
jbbebg
Enthusiast
jbbebg began at the beginning.

Device: prs 500, prs 505, Irex Iliad, Irex Digital
Hi,
I had similar problems with the CF card. I could not solve the problem. After this I always plug out the CF card, use external CF reader and synchronize the files with the jfilesync file sync software (http://jfilesync.sourceforge.net/). It works perfect and much more faster and of course with no problem.
jbbebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
golagha
Enthusiast
golagha began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad Black
I had the problemt too!
I suggest you not Copy, Move, Rename any file or Folder when your iLiad is connected to PC!!! I mean the iLiad can't perform commands like a Card Reader, I do all operation with an external card reader!!
golagha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
Atom_
Enthusiast
Atom_ began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by golagha View Post
... the iLiad can't perform commands like a Card Reader...
mmm I assumed it should do it, as you can choose the SC card to be "exported" when connected to a PC. ??

Anyway, just the same is happening to me. I have had my iLiad for one month and this last week the card got corrupted twice!! I regulary use it with both windows and linux computers and both corruptions happened in the windows box, although I have used it much more with the Linux one. Just chance? Maybe hardware related?

I don't like the idea of taking the card in and out all the time, as I swap files all the time (mainly scientific papers I annotate, etc). Perhaps we should go the samba way.
Atom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2009, 12:51 AM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom_ View Post
Perhaps we should go the samba way.
That's how I do it. I transfer books back and forth using a network connection, not a USB connection. I haven't had any corruption (at least not yet... crosses fingers). I don't know if there really is a difference, or if I've just been lucky.

FYI, if you are planning on using the wireless network with samba and have a CF card, there is a known bug that transfer rates are REALLY slow when putting data on the CF card using the iLiad's wireless connection.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:25 AM   #7
Atom_
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
FYI, if you are planning on using the wireless network with samba and have a CF card, there is a known bug that transfer rates are REALLY slow when putting data on the CF card using the iLiad's wireless connection.
Thanks for the tip, as this was just what i was planning. It seems I'll have to get plugged forever. What a pity!
Old 02-06-2009, 08:38 AM   #8
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I've been having a similar issue and it turned out to be a faulty card. I would reformat it and copy content back over and it would work for a period of time and then corrupt again. The last time it happened I plugged it into the pc and it caused the pc to crash. Bough a new card and haven't had an issue since. Bottom line, don't rule out a card beginning to go bad. The iLiad may be a little more sensitive to this for some reason.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #9
Atom_
Enthusiast

mmmm... I will make a master folder so that I can restore everything easily and will make some tests.

If fact the card also caused my windows to crash, but when used though the iLiad.

BTW, do you know if the iLiad behaves just as a card reader when sharing the cards through the usb? I mean, is the card unmounted from the iLiad while it is connected, so that I can, say, format it as if it was a regular card reader?

mmm also, do you know hot to check for a faulty card? Any utility ala fsck or memcheck?
Old 02-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Not sure on how it is mounted when still in the iliad, but I seem to recall that chkdsk found errors on my card when I just plugged it into the pc. I had spared them out awhile ago, but they cropped up again and ultimately I trashed the card. Replacing my card took me from every other day corruption to rock solid for a few weeks.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:00 AM   #11
Atom_
Enthusiast

It seems that the card was somehow broken. I could not reformat it in windows and kind of hanged explorer for a while in the card reader until it decides it does not work.

Anyway, I got a new one and by the moment everything seems to be working fine. We'll see.

BTW, I think that instead of samba I will got the sftp way. I will check if the transfer to the CF card via sftp is also affecte by the "slow CF tranfer on wireless" bug. I'll let you know.