Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #1
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
New Kobo User

I have just bought a Kobo Aura One to replace my ageing Sony 650 and I need a little help with it.

I have loaded some of my collection of books onto the device by dragging the files onto it via XYPlorer file manager, and I can see them and read them on the Kobo.

I have downloaded and installed the Kobo desktop software and it detects my device and I can see the information about it but if I click on Book Management all it says is "Your Library is empty" and wants me to visit the Bookstore and start shopping.

Why can't I see and manage the books I already have?

Thanks
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:23 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
kobo's app for PC only supports ebooks bought from kobo. It can't even see the other ebooks.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I'd recommend using Calibre to manage your library rather than dragging and dropping.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:12 PM   #4
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the information regarding the desktop app.

As someone who has amassed a large collection of epubs over the years I can't see myself buying books so pretty much useless to me then.

I will stick to using Cailbre and drag-and-drop.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:43 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
Thanks for the information regarding the desktop app.

As someone who has amassed a large collection of epubs over the years I can't see myself buying books so pretty much useless to me then.

I will stick to using Cailbre and drag-and-drop.
When I purchase ebooks from Kobo or other sources, I use the download/export option and import the files into Calibre for management.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
To a new Kobo user, possibly my strongest piece of advice is to set up collections management in Calibre from the beginning. See the sticky thread in the Kobo forum here for wiki advice on collections (shelves), and for some of the other tweaks and hacks available.

And yeah, I haven't opened Kobo Desktop for a long long time. I think the last time was for a book I bought from Kobo that didn't have a downloadable epub, so I had to yoink the kepub out with obok for disinfection.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:46 AM   #7
Ashjuk
Fanatic

Thanks for the replies I will delve deeper into Calibre.

I have used it in the past for ebook tagging and conversion but not really as a library management tool.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:14 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Thanks for the replies I will delve deeper into Calibre.

I have used it in the past for ebook tagging and conversion but not really as a library management tool.
Take your time, read the forums and ask questions. Kobo and Calibre can mesh in ways that other readers can't. Really it all depends on how much work you feel like putting in to the collection management.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:38 AM   #9
Ashjuk
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Take your time, read the forums and ask questions. Kobo and Calibre can mesh in ways that other readers can't. Really it all depends on how much work you feel like putting in to the collection management.
I think the reason that I have not used Calibre in the past for library management is because of its inflexible way of working.

What I don't like is the fact that every time you add a book it creates a folder for that book. I wish it would just view the books as I have them on my PC. I catalogue my books by genre and then, if there is more than one book by the same author, a sub-folder with that author's name.

So rather than have my HD cluttered up with folders I have tended to use a file manager to drag and drop them into my reader.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I think the reason that I have not used Calibre in the past for library management is because of its inflexible way of working.

What I don't like is the fact that every time you add a book it creates a folder for that book. I wish it would just view the books as I have them on my PC. I catalogue my books by genre and then, if there is more than one book by the same author, a sub-folder with that author's name.

So rather than have my HD cluttered up with folders I have tended to use a file manager to drag and drop them into my reader.
You'll need to learn to relax about where the files are stored, and concentrate on getting the metadata right in calibre.

I also recommend sending to your device from calibre. I find it a lot easier than manually dragging & dropping files.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #11
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
It's best to treat the Calibre Library folder as a black box. Whatever goes on in there is for Calibre's uses only. Save and keep your books outside of the Calibre library folder if you like to exercise your own management of files.

That being said, you can use Calibre itself to send books to your device rather than Dragging and dropping. That will make it easier to keep a large number of books on device organized. And if you want, you'll be able to use the Kobo Extended Driver to upload the books in Kobo's own native format instead of epub. (It's debatable which is better, as both book formats have different pros and cons.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:03 PM   #12
Ashjuk
Fanatic

The problem is I can't just ignore it. Every time I see the mass of folders that Calibre creates it grates. Unfortunately I am 'old school' and can remember when I had a 10Mb hard disk and thought it was huge! Even though I now have two 2Tb disks in my machine I still like to keep things simple.

As I said I have tried to like Calibre, and I admit it is a very good program, but sadly I can't accept that it dictates a folder structure that I'm not happy with.

Perhaps I am very backwards when it comes to organising my library. To be honest I never use metadata but just pick a book to read by its file name.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #13
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
The problem is I can't just ignore it. Every time I see the mass of folders that Calibre creates it grates. Unfortunately I am 'old school' and can remember when I had a 10Mb hard disk and thought it was huge! Even though I now have two 2Tb disks in my machine I still like to keep things simple.

As I said I have tried to like Calibre, and I admit it is a very good program, but sadly I can't accept that it dictates a folder structure that I'm not happy with.

Perhaps I am very backwards when it comes to organising my library. To be honest I never use metadata but just pick a book to read by its file name.
i use Calibre to convert from epub to kepub format but your point is a valid one regarding lack of control over folder structure.

i still think overall it is a very versatile program with many positives.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 03-19-2017 at 04:04 PM.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:23 PM   #14
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
The problem is I can't just ignore it. Every time I see the mass of folders that Calibre creates it grates
Solution: don't look at them. Seriously, this is a non-problem.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:30 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

Add a custom icon to the calibre library folder so that it looks like a document. Think of it like a giant complex single file that stores all your books and metadata. Perhaps then you can ignore what's going on 'inside'.

I resisted calibre for a couple of years. It was a mistake. I love being able to quickly find all my books by an author, all the books in a series (even if by different authors), all the books I haven't read yet, all the books I bought in 2006, when I last read a particular book, how much I paid for the book and where I bought it from. (These last four via custom metadata columns.)

You are allowing habits from the time of very constrained storage to limit your use of your computer. This is not ideal.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote