Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-14-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
mcp000
mcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: kobo
AURA ONE still worth buying?

hi there,

i am a little late with thinking about buying one and lately i wonder,
if its too late...

there are many rumors about the ONE dying out and getting removed
from the online stores and what not...

the H2O Gen.II seems to be a real thing now and i am not sure anymore
what to do...

did something go terrible wrong with the ONE and kobo tries to not let it
show? are they trying to quietly and slowly remove it from our minds and
the market? it sure feels like it...

will i be better off with the H2O Gen. II ?

waterproofness always is the main-reason fpr me to buy a new and better device, but the "yellow light" also was a huge thing for me that i wanted
(i am running f.lux on all of my devices)

thanks for infos and opinions...

/discuss

*edit*
p.s. is there still any active contact with the kobo-staff / devs going on here? it seems
that they are not really active anymore in here, or did i overlook the threads?

Last edited by mcp000; 06-14-2017 at 02:44 PM. Reason: forgot sumthn :D
mcp000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
m, the K1 has been a worthy purchase for me. I would recommend it.

Quote:
the Aura One is the far superior device, with a nicer design and a clearer screen.
Kobo Aura One vs Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 Comparison Review

. . . . . Pete

Last edited by petercreasey; 06-14-2017 at 03:00 PM.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2017, 03:05 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Of course the KA1 is worth buying.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:10 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Kobo staff might read here but rarely post.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:17 PM   #5
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
I put in my order for a KA1 just hours after they initially started accepting preorders so mine was likely among one of the earliest batches to ship. Have never had any significant issues with it.

Love the large screen size and the orange comfort light. Have never had any issues with battery drain. I haven't personally tested out the waterproofness of my device, but other people have uploaded videos of submerged KA1s which have survived the plunge so I imagine that mine would, too.

Would highly recommend the KA1 if you are looking for something with a larger screen. Would buy another KA1 if mine were to have an accident or get lost or stolen.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2017, 06:46 PM   #6
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I ordered mine around January, love it, no particular issues, it's a great e-reader

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:47 PM   #7
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
It seems unlikely that the H2O edition 2 will replace the Aura One, since it already replaced the H2O edition 1 and does not have all the features of the Aura One.

Currently Kobo seems to have three lines, the Kobo Aura edition 2 - their base model, the Kobo H2O edition 2 - their second tier mode, and the Kobo Aura One - their premium device.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:05 PM   #8
Boyesen30
Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Touch N905c, Aura one, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6
One of the first things I did with mine was submerge it in a sink of water. I upgraded from a touch so overdrive, the bigger screen and comfort light were huge selling points. Love my A1. If I were to accidentally break it I would purchase another in a heartbeat..
Boyesen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:27 PM   #9
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyesen30 View Post
One of the first things I did with mine was submerge it in a sink of water.
That's actually a smart thing to do. Finding out if it is indeed waterproof while it is still under warranty is better than finding out that it isn't waterproof once the warranty has expired.

I may just have to take my KA1 for a swim...
Old 06-15-2017, 08:04 AM   #10
moofychops
Connoisseur
moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Now Have Aura One and ClaraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
m, the K1 has been a worthy purchase for me. I would recommend it.

Kobo Aura One vs Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 Comparison Review

. . . . . Pete
The H2O2 here in the UK is £50 pounds cheaper approx. and has the same inside as the Aura One
Aside from the screen, the internal hardware is virtually identical between the two models so there’s not much to say there. They have the same processor, the same storage space, the same amount of RAM, etc, and both are waterproof with an IPX8 rating.

I felt there was a lot of bias in the review almost as if the reviewer had been given the KA1 by his wife and felt he had to like it lol.
The H2O2 is the perfect size if you use it outdoors a lot, rather than as a n indoor bedside reader.
moofychops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:17 AM   #11
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by moofychops View Post
The H2O2 here in the UK is £50 pounds cheaper approx. and has the same inside as the Aura One
Aside from the screen, the internal hardware is virtually identical between the two models so there’s not much to say there. They have the same processor, the same storage space, the same amount of RAM, etc, and both are waterproof with an IPX8 rating.

...The H2O2 is the perfect size if you use it outdoors a lot, rather than as a n indoor bedside reader.
Screen size would be the main difference between the two. However, Overdrive support might also be a consideration for some. Unless things have changed, and they may have, only the KA1 device currently has Overdrive support. That could be significant for someone who would like to borrow library books on the fly instead of having to download them via a computer and then transfer them to their device.

The KA1 also happens to work very well outdoors. I don't really notice any significant difference in portability between it and my original Aura. But I'm also not attempting to stuff either into a pocket. I almost always have a backpack or shoulder bag with me that either can fit in.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:54 PM   #12
mcp000
mcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: kobo
hmmmm well thats all nice and fine...

but the rumors seem to be true. the aura one is disapearing from
the market, at least here in germany, but in onlineshops as well.

i checked saturn and media markt today, the two biggest electronic store chains in germany...

both of them dont have aura ones in stock anymore in all the branches and both have the device internally marked as discontinued....

it was a hard-to-get reader from the start, like all the time sold out everywhere and stuff like that, but i thought thats just the usual marketing tactic...

but now i dont know anymore.... simple productionproblems? or problems with the device itself?

Last edited by mcp000; 06-15-2017 at 04:56 PM.
mcp000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:14 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Chapters still has the KA1 and they do not say it's discontinued.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:07 PM   #14
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
It could be those stores did not see enough of a return on them, or there were too many people who were overly picky about getting 'the perfect' screen and lighting etc.

Kobo still has it for sale, as does Best Buy in Canada, and Chapters. I'd check US stores, but Kobo has pretty much given up on the US market so finding a brick and mortar store here that sells - any - Kobo would be a challenge.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:29 PM   #15
jeromuhi
jeromuhi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD/ ONE
I'm going to be that guy that says "Cite Your Sources." Where are you reading about them phasing out the KA1? I just ordered mine today, so looking forward to getting my hands on it. Upgrading from the Aura HD, looking forward to the big screen and colored light.
jeromuhi is offline   Reply With Quote