Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-20-2016, 04:45 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sorry, but that's incorrect. The PRS-500 DOES have a micro-USB port. What it also has is a PSP style port for charging. The 505 was the same way.
I think it was mini-USB for the early PRS devices, wasn't it, rather than micro? They pre-dated micro-USB.

But your fundamental point is of course correct; all eInk devices connect via USB for data transfer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:47 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finiderire View Post
I may have to inquire about the presence of a transparent IR blocking filter in the device before buying
No, you don't need to do that. There was one batch of first-generation eInk screens made by LG that were missing the IR filter, and these made their way into all brands of early eInk readers. No subsequent eInk screen has had this problem.
Advert
Old 07-20-2016, 05:58 AM   #33
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by finiderire View Post
-apart from one very old model Sony PRS500 no E-Book Reader has no mini/micro USB
Quote:
Sorry, but that's incorrect. The PRS-500 DOES have a micro-USB port. What it also has is a PSP style port for charging. The 505 was the same way.
Sorry, but that's incorrect.
The Sony PRS-500 has mini USB and not micro.
USB connectors have 5 basic versions:

USB A - this is what is on notebook computers

USB B - really big rectangular one, like on a printer cable

mini USB - on older electronic devices, such as PRS-500, PocketBook 360, and also on 3.5 inch external harddisks

Micro USB - modern phones and all recently manufactured e-ink readers

USB 3 cable, typically located on a modern USB3 external harddisks. It is basically two connectors next to each other, so you can (theoretically, at least) plug in micro USB cable and use the device with USB2 standard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Connector_types
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:24 AM   #34
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think it was mini-USB for the early PRS devices, wasn't it, rather than micro? They pre-dated micro-USB.

But your fundamental point is of course correct; all eInk devices connect via USB for data transfer.
No, you can use wifi for data transfer, if the device has it. But all devices do connect via USB for recharging... At least, I've not heard of one device that does wireless charging...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Really 100 F isn't hot???
I know if I lay my phone or my kindle down for even 5 minutes out in the sun, they get way hot in a hurry. Maybe Texas has a hotter sun.
If the ambient temperature is 45 degrees (no idea how much it translate into Fahrenheit and too lazy to search for it...), and you leave your reader in the sun, your reader won't be 45 degrees, but way hotter. But it will cool down again to at least ambient temperature once you put it in some form of shade (which can also be the shade of your body!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Yes, you are correct. It was mini-USB. My mistake. Thanks.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-20-2016 at 09:11 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. It was micro-USB. My mistake. Thanks.
No, it was mini-USB. That was my point .
Old 07-20-2016, 09:04 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, you don't need to do that. There was one batch of first-generation eInk screens made by LG that were missing the IR filter, and these made their way into all brands of early eInk readers. No subsequent eInk screen has had this problem.
It was Pearl screens made by LG that were affected around the time of the 600.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:05 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Sorry, but that's incorrect.
The Sony PRS-500 has mini USB and not micro.
USB connectors have 5 basic versions:

USB A - this is what is on notebook computers

USB B - really big rectangular one, like on a printer cable

mini USB - on older electronic devices, such as PRS-500, PocketBook 360, and also on 3.5 inch external harddisks

Micro USB - modern phones and all recently manufactured e-ink readers

USB 3 cable, typically located on a modern USB3 external harddisks. It is basically two connectors next to each other, so you can (theoretically, at least) plug in micro USB cable and use the device with USB2 standard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Connector_types
You left out USB C.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
It was Pearl screens made by LG that were affected around the time of the 600.
Thanks, Jon. I'd forgotten the details. I remember having a reader (I think it was a Bookeen one) that had the problem, but that was many years ago.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:19 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks, Jon. I'd forgotten the details. I remember having a reader (I think it was a Bookeen one) that had the problem, but that was many years ago.
My mother had a 600 that had the screen problem. That's how I remember roughly when this happened. I know it wasn't just Sony that was effected as you've said. Kindles also were effected.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:21 AM   #41
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
No, you can use wifi for data transfer, if the device has it. But all devices do connect via USB for recharging... At least, I've not heard of one device that does wireless charging...

If the ambient temperature is 45 degrees (no idea how much it translate into Fahrenheit and too lazy to search for it...), and you leave your reader in the sun, your reader won't be 45 degrees, but way hotter. But it will cool down again to at least ambient temperature once you put it in some form of shade (which can also be the shade of your body!)
Thank you. The OP did say direct sun.
Oh and 45 is about 115 or Arizona's normal summer highs.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:13 PM   #42
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
My mother had a 600 that had the screen problem. That's how I remember roughly when this happened. I know it wasn't just Sony that was effected as you've said. Kindles also were effected.
I think it was the Kindle 2, if I remember correctly...

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:43 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I think it was the Kindle 2, if I remember correctly...

Shari
Yes, you do remember correctly.

Tags
heat, microusb, reader, rugged, sunlight