Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #31
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
"So far" is the operative phrase. Kobo still has the Goodreads reviews on the old version of the site as well. It makes sense that when building a new site they'll try to keep as much of the future (what little can be predicted) in mind. I think it only makes sense that Kobo wouldn't want to rely on an Amazon-owned site for its reviews. I'll be curious to see if other ebook sites that rely on Goodreads for their reviews keep that connection once the sale is finalized. (When is that, btw?)
Google India just re-made the site - they kept Goodreads reviews in the new version as well.
So far.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #32
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
The new design's even worse that the old one. Even Sony managed to improve their ebook store when they revamped their site earlier this year.

The worst feature if that the book icons don't have a fixed size so that as you scroll down the screen the rows are out of alignment making it impossible to scan items. They're also too large.

A UK store called Play.com is also owned by Rakuten and their website is also worse than it used to be. So is this a corporate style that Rakuten is introducing?
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #33
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Nah. It's just Kobo being normal - one step forward, two steps back for pretty much everything they do.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #34
Marbles
Zealot
Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KoboTouch & Kobo Vox iPad2
I am not really feeling the love for the new web store. I don't like the top fifty downloads scrolling across my screen. I can no longer search for books 3.99 or less or book bundles. Do like that they tell you if a book is promo eligible when you search by the author.
Marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #35
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Of course they don't have the $3.99 or lower links listed anymore. They also don't have the links to the free books anymore. But they do have all the expensive bestsellers everywhere! This new store makes me want to go out and buy a Kindle.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2013, 04:28 AM   #36
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I still see the old site. I'm interested in the URL that the "discountable books" button sends you to. Could someone post that please?
It just adds "fcpromocodes=Yes" to the end of the search query, e.g.

http://store.kobobooks.com/Search/Qu...promocodes=Yes
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #37
lecoeur
Connoisseur
lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
kobo bookstore revamp

I had occasion today to use an old wondoze lappy and the old version of the book store appeared. Puzzled, I then switched to my linux lappy and the new version appeared.
Maybe it's the op syst that determines whether you see it or not?
lecoeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #38
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
It just adds "fcpromocodes=Yes" to the end of the search query, e.g.

http://store.kobobooks.com/Search/Qu...promocodes=Yes
Thanks! I was able to follow your link earlier and got the new store. Just tried again and was sent to the old store, and the promocodes was gone from the URL. This was on a windows laptop so no change in OS. I guess they are making many changes to the new site and taking it offline periodically?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #39
delph
Tabby
delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Mini, Lenovo Yoga 2 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecoeur View Post
I had occasion today to use an old wondoze lappy and the old version of the book store appeared. Puzzled, I then switched to my linux lappy and the new version appeared.
Maybe it's the op syst that determines whether you see it or not?
Possibly a cache issue? I just checked on my Windows box, where I don't think I've ever visited the Kobo website before. I got the new version of the website. (My primary home use OS is linux; my Windows box is basically a glorified gaming console as far as my use of it goes.)
delph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #40
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
can't see the new one either
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #41
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Some Old .vs New screen shots of the main page and a books detail page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MainOld.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	108455   Click image for larger version

Name:	MainNew.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	108456   Click image for larger version

Name:	DetailOld.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	537.2 KB
ID:	108457   Click image for larger version

Name:	DetailNew.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	108458  
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #42
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
I have 3 Kobo accounts - India, UK and US.
Logging from Mac OS X, Safari, not cleaning cache.
If I log with US and UK account, I am straight away given new Kobo store.
If I log with India account, I get the old store.
I don't think it has to do with cache. Maybe something with Canada store since it seems only people from Canada have this problem?
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #43
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I still only get the old store. But I think I've got an idea how we could get Kobo to provide the vital info about download formats again: We should contact customer support and ask for that info for every single book we remotely consider buying. That'll teach them, I hope.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #44
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I have used both a US account and a Canadian one. There are small differences between them which makes me think that we are seeing 1.0 of the new site 1.0 0f 2.0?) with further changes to be introduced incrementally.

I dislike the scroll, too and wish that the book tiles were the same size as they are on the google play site.In fact, I would like a text link alternative which was like the original site--with the books in a list. I like the ability to choose to see discountable books. When you are in a category, you can sort by price low-->high, so I am ok without the 3.99 choice.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #45
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
There is a filter for "Items Eligible For Promo Codes" -- excellent.

There no longer seems to be any indication whether a book is DRM-free -- terrible.

(I'm looking at th Kobo UK site, my local site hasn't had the update yet.)
I don't think the promo codes option is working 100% right now. I tried it on a search with some Penguin imprints that are now accepting coupon codes and it took the Penguin imprints away. I'd think it would use the same flag that tells the checkout whether to display the promo code box or not, but it doesn't seem to be.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo books, rdlecoeur