Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Unprotected iBooks to standard EPUB

I have a e-book that I want to convert for when Pascha comes around again: http://www.rocor.org.au/?p=5615
It is in unprotected iBooks format (as well as PDF).
Since I now have a shiny PRS-T2, I want to read it in EPUB format.
How can I go about converting it? Obviously Calibre knows nothing about iBooks format yet..
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:36 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I don't yet have a PRS T2, but had not problem moving some of the free ebooks from my iPad to my T1. I just opened iTunes and then the books folder, dragged the ebook to the desktop, and loaded it to the T1 through calibre.

It didn't need converting at all.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

AlexBell, did you rename them? It just exports a .ibooks file..
Old 09-18-2012, 12:09 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
AlexBell, did you rename them? It just exports a .ibooks file..
No, just dragged and dropped it. Are you sure the iBooks ebook is DRM free? That's the only explanation I can think of.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I suspect that the problem is that he file is not an ePub format eBook which is often used with the iBooks app, but is in the Apple proprietary .ibook format that is produced by the iAuthor software. I know the .ibook format is based on ePub with Apple specific extensions to better handle them being interactive but I have never seen details of the extensions.

I have no idea of those extensions mean a reader capable of handling ePub format can handle .ibook format if the file extension is changed, but I would be surprised if it was that easy. Still it might not hurt to try!
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2012, 02:42 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks, Itimpi. That makes sense to me.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
AprilHare
Wizard

So, the only current recommendation is to rename .ibooks files to .epub and hope for the best? What about all those proprietary CSS issues I was reading about?
And yes, the ebook is not DRM protected.
Hope it works..