Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 01-11-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
cathyWeeks
Enthusiast
cathyWeeks doesn't littercathyWeeks doesn't littercathyWeeks doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Burnett, Frances Hodgson: The Secret Garden, v1. 01-11-2008

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

My favorite children's classic. Reformatted for the Kindle and anything else that reads .prc files.

Update: I fixed the title, plus the verse problem, as well as re-formatted the TOC (still not happy with it, but it's better than before).
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: prc The_Secret_Garden.prc (402.5 KB, 1467 views)

Last edited by cathyWeeks; 01-12-2008 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Uploaded a new version of the file, correcting the title, and a few other issues
cathyWeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:29 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A few comments, Cathy:

First and foremost, I really must object in the strongest possible terms to your completely arbitrary change to the book's title. The book is called "The Secret Garden", not "A Secret Garden". Why did you change it? I believe that one should always respect the author's choice of the title of a book.

Secondly, why all the blank lines? Some people like blank lines between paragraphs; I don't personally, but that's reasonable enough. But why the blanks between every line of verse? I've never seen verse printed like that - have you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Cathy: would you consider changing the title, in the interests of accuracy? Also the verses, if this was an unintentional slip?

(It is very easy to make these errors, especially in one's early attempts, so please don't feel discouraged at our comments. We are aiming to be constructive.)

If you open your post and click on 'edit' at the bottom right corner then you could take down the original attachment and post a revised version with the correct title. These changes would only take a few minutes and would result in a substantially more accurate version.

As you have said, this is a very popular children's book and a lot of people will be glad to have a version. However, as Harry point out, the error in the title is rather irritating in a favourite book.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
cathyWeeks
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A few comments, Cathy:

First and foremost, I really must object in the strongest possible terms to your completely arbitrary change to the book's title. The book is called "The Secret Garden", not "A Secret Garden". Why did you change it? I believe that one should always respect the author's choice of the title of a book.

Secondly, why all the blank lines? Some people like blank lines between paragraphs; I don't personally, but that's reasonable enough. But why the blanks between every line of verse? I've never seen verse printed like that - have you?
The change in title was a mistake on my part, and quite unintentional. My apologies. I will fix it right away. I was working with A Little Princess and The Secret Garden at the same time, and got the A and The mixed up.

As for the verse, I'll fix that too. I set up a "normal" style, which has the blank line after a paragraph break, and since those lines force a break, they got the blank lines too. Easy to fix.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
Laurel
Laurel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Amazon Kindle
Nice work, Cathy. You're a fast learner!

Laurel
Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2008, 03:24 PM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Cathy. As I said, this is a very popular book and many people will appreciate your efforts to make a nicely-formatted version available. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #7
cathyWeeks
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Thanks, Cathy. As I said, this is a very popular book and many people will appreciate your efforts to make a nicely-formatted version available. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Not a problem. Right now, I'm delayed because I just CANNOT get the table of contents to format properly The title has been fixed, as has the verse. But that TOC is just all over the place. It looks great in mobipocket reader, but lousy on the Kindle

Last edited by cathyWeeks; 01-12-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:54 PM   #8
cathyWeeks
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
Nice work, Cathy. You're a fast learner! Laurel
Hi Laurel - are you the same one as over on the yahoo group?

And yes, I am a fast learner, but I do have some advantages for this sort of thing - I was a newsletter editor/webmaster/ad designer/tech writer for a very long time, so much of this is just re-learning what I used to know. It's MUCH easier to relearn than to learn from scratch.

I've also got to say that HTML and web design in general is FAR more complex than when I first learned it (back in the early 1990s). If I had to tackle web design NOW from scratch, I think I'd run away kicking and screaming!
Old 01-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #9
cathyWeeks
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've fixed the issues, as you requested. The name is now changed, on both the file name, the cover image, and the metadata. In answer to your question, I prefer to have slight blank lines between paragraphs, but I changed the formatting, so the blank line is much narrower. (6 point instead of 12).
Old 01-12-2008, 07:00 PM   #10
Laurel
Laurel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyWeeks View Post
Hi Laurel - are you the same one as over on the yahoo group?
One and the same. It really looks good now. I agree with you on having a little extra space between paragraphs--it makes reading a little easier for children.

Laurel
Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:16 PM   #11
Patricia
Reader

Thanks for being so patient, Cathy. The new version is much appreciated.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:13 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Excellent job. Thank you very much indeed. Apologies for assuming that it was a deliberate change, but when one has the title page immediately followed by "The Secret Garden" at least a dozen times in the PG blurb, I thought that it must have been deliberate on your part . Thanks for putting it right.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote