Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
kindlenews
kindlenews began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Is it possible to Fetch News without Calibre?

I love Calibre who partners with my kindle as a wonderful team. Recently I learned to use the Fetch News function of Calibre and can't imagine life without it any more. Soon I will be far from home for some weeks and am wondering if there is a web based service that collect and send news once a day similar as calibre would do?

Having Calibre on USB will not really do because I may be far from the next internet coffee and can only use cell phone on wifi.

Any suggestions?
kindlenews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
You might be able to use Yahoo pipes.

http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.in...d3e51ba3890edd is an example.

You could also use something like an RSS to email service... like http://www.feedmyinbox.com/ to send RSS to your kindle email address. Although I think Calibre supports web sites without RSS... most news sites do have RSS feeds.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 01:28 AM   #3
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

does calibre run on a computer that you could leave on while you are gone? If so, you could have it just email the news to your kindle...
TuxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
kindlenews
kindlenews began at the beginning.

Thanks for the replies!

@pilotbob:

Didn't know about Yahoo Pipes yet. Looks interesting together with FeedMyInbox. But on first attempt I was not able to bundle the articles for offline reading the same way as Calibre would do. Also I am in a kind of no chicken/mo egg deadlock with authetnification of the xxx@kindle.com email. For FeedMyInbox to accept the Email it will need a reply. And for kindle.com to accept the sender it will need a reply. Of course I could circumvent that by having a gmail relay in between...

@TuxGirl:

Having an installation of Calibre running online would be great. I was even consideringh to have the computer power up by a timer and then have calibre start automatic. But then again nobody will be able to watch it for a long time. Doesn't feel right to me. That's why I was looking for a 'Calibre Online I'll pack the news and send them for you' service. Wouldn't care if that would be a payed service (if reasonable priced). Maybe a way for calibre to generate money on top of donations?
kindlenews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Look at this wonderful service:

http://readbeam.com/

Regards, Mixx
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
frankz
frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixx View Post
Look at this wonderful service:

http://readbeam.com/

Regards, Mixx
Nice!
frankz is offline   Reply With Quote