Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
zed
Edge User

Nook Color officially getting froyo and market

http://www.androidcentral.com/nook-c...cially-january

I just returned my nook color yesterday and purchased an original entourage edge about an hour ago.
I have to admit, though, that the nook color is looking intriguing again for about half of what the edge costs. Of course, a fairer comparison might be to the pocket edge, in which case, it would only be about 100 dollars less.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
jsfiller
Edge User

But the Edge (both versions) is FAR more than an ereader.

Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
borisb
Edge User

We've seen such announcements (from manufacturers even) in the past saying they will be coming out with Android Market place access. Without a single exception, all such claims were retracted when the item was actually released. A bit of poker bluffery between manufacturers and Google.

So, update this post in January when the Nook Color actually does patch and get Market access

Old 12-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
OncTech
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
We've seen such announcements (from manufacturers even) in the past saying they will be coming out with Android Market place access. Without a single exception, all such claims were retracted when the item was actually released. A bit of poker bluffery between manufacturers and Google.

So, update this post in January when the Nook Color actually does patch and get Market access
I was thinking the same thing: I'll believe it when I see it.

You know, aren't stunts like that technically actionable false advertising? I know the US tort law on such things is a little weak, but Europe has some strict rules on this kind of thing.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OncTech View Post
You know, aren't stunts like that technically actionable false advertising?
Probably not as this is predicting the future inaccurately rather than listing features not present on a shipping product. To advertise the current Nook Color as having Market access would be wrong; advertising that it is "Market-capable" would be dubious.

Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
StevenP
Edge User

I checked out the Nook Color yesterday and it isn't too bad as far as Android tablets go. However, what really is worthwhile about it is the nice interface and book interaction they have (Home screen, chapter selection via thumbnails, etc.) Entourage could learn something from this device.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
cheyennedonna
Edge User

This is added on at the bottom of the post
"Update: Bad news folks. Barnes and Noble PR got in touch with the authors of the original piece at Engadget, and while the Nook Color will be adding apps to it's own market, there is no plan to add the official Android Market to the device. Back to the hackery, I guess."

Last edited by cheyennedonna; 12-14-2010 at 05:12 PM.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
borisb
Edge User

Yup. There you go

Old 12-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
zed
Edge User

Still, I hope this pushes Entourage developers to push out the Froyo before that time. I'm really hoping for Honeycomb, though.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #10
pat.indie
Edge User

What I would really like to see though is a vastly expanded EE app market. Right now, there are 68-something measly apps. There is, I am sure, no obstacle to getting this done. All this will need is an effort on Entourage's part.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:04 PM   #11
elsaturnino
Edge User

I was at B&N checking out the Nook Color and the saleswoman claimed that they would have Android Marketplace access "in a month." Sounds like someone was stretching the truth a bit