Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-09-2015, 05:37 AM   #1
tempura
Connoisseur
tempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle PW3
Folder/File Select dialog hangs calibre on Xubuntu/XFCE

Okay, so a bit of oddity which I can't really understand why, but simply put. Whenever I have to say choose a folder or file, calibre just hangs. No responses, doesn't show anything even when I run calibre-debug.

I am running calibre 2.31 on Xubuntu 14.04 32 Bit with XFCE 4.12. Not really sure, if the OS/XFCE or calibre is causing trouble.

But here's what happens, say I want to add books. I go the "Add Books" Menu and select "Add Books from a single directory". Then the Window opens up and asks me to choose the files. I select them, and then, click "Cancel" or "Open" or whatever that comes up. And, then it stops responding.

This is also noticed with when I try to Switch/Create Library, the Window opens there again, and same thing.

Though, Drag and Drop Method of Adding Books still works.

Not really sure of the cause of trouble, but any help is appreciated.
tempura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:44 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Something on your system is broken in the integration between Qt and your desktop environments file open dialog.

There was a similar thread a few months ago for someone on a Kubuntu system, they fixed it by re-installing the OS.

You can try using strace to find the cause of the issue, but for that, you need to be fairly technically sophisticated.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:49 AM   #3
tempura
Connoisseur
tempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipedia

Thanks for the response, Kovid. Will have to figure this one out. Atleast now, I know the problem.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #4
tempura
Connoisseur

Phew, after a long while, I figured out the cause of trouble.

Basically, my final attempt with strace, was

Code:
strace calibre
which produced the following output when opening the dialog box and after selecting a file, went onto repeat this line along with a couple others but mainly this:

Code:
open("/home/user_name/.config/QtProject.conf.lock", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_EXCL|O_LARGEFILE|O_CLOEXEC, 0644) = -1 EEXIST (File exists)
open("/home/user_name/.config/QtProject.conf.lock", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE|O_CLOEXEC) = 27

So, I just deleted the "QtProject.conf.lock" from ~/.config/
And that did it. Guess, it couldn't get a lock or something. But in anycase, thanks for all the help.

Last edited by tempura; 07-09-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:30 AM   #5
beedaddy
Zealot
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino shine 4
I have a similar but not exactly the same problem. I'm running Arch Linux with the latest calibre (not the Arch package but vanilla calibre). Everything runs fine but sometimes, clicking on some menu item (for example Add Books) does not open a dialog but does nothing. Calibre then hangs and I have to terminate it. Can someone confirm this?
beedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:23 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Never seen this, sorry.

ArchLinux, latest. calibre updated through my systemd timer (AUR MR).

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-10-2015 at 03:25 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:29 AM   #7
beedaddy
Zealot
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino shine 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Never seen this, sorry.

ArchLinux, latest. calibre updated through my systemd timer (AUR MR).
Perhaps it could be a ... theme related ... problem? Running Plasma 5 here with breeze theme. And you?

(EDIT: Oh and thanks for the AUR-link. I will definitely have a look at it.)

Last edited by beedaddy; 07-10-2015 at 03:40 AM.
beedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:34 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Out-of-the-box Cinnamon.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:26 PM   #9
rodrigoccurvo
rodrigoccurvo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempura View Post
So, I just deleted the "QtProject.conf.lock" from ~/.config/
And that did it.
THANK YOU!!!

For the last few months I haven't been able to use Calibre on my Lubuntu because of that.

rodrigoccurvo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.31, linux, user interface, xubuntu