Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #46
Tugger
Connoisseur
Tugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle
Would you like a mobi generated by the latest InDesign plugin? PM me your email address and I'll send you one (a small one - that first few pages of a book).

The plugin just keeps working on every book, including the InDesign ones....
Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #47
Tugger
Connoisseur
Tugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

By the way apart from some remaining problems with it, I'm very impressed by the InDesign plugin.

It has the potential to allow people to produce professional printed books, including hyperlinks, pictures, TOCs, footnotes, etc. and then create a good quality Kindle version in just a few minutes, without understanding the technology at all. It creates mobi7 and KF8 versions, all in one mobi file which one uploads to Amazon.

This could make the need for the current skilled ebook creators, vanish.

And even if one doesn't really want to use InDesign, it is only a couple of clicks to import an entire Word or RTF document into InDesign, ready for Kindle export.

Last edited by Tugger; 08-04-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #48
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Updated the plugin to incorporate the latest bug fixes in the underlying Mobi_Unpack engine (v0.53). Mostly minor bug fixes. Also incorporates some new error-handling with regard to embedded fonts (KF8) and makes sure any special characters in KF8 metadata gets entity escaped in the OPF file.

Now at version 0.5.4.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:52 AM   #49
Tugger
Connoisseur

Thank you for the update. Working perfectly.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #50
Tugger
Connoisseur

I'm sorry to report I'm getting errors again, even though it does appear to be partly working. It created the mobi7 folder with all its files, and the .zip file, and the mobi8 folder and subfolders, but not the files in those folders.

This is with a tiny test file, which I could easily email to you if you give me an email address. The error message reads:
Quote:
calibre, version 0.8.69
ERROR: MobiUnpack - The Plugin v0.5.4:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.mobiunpack_plugin.extraction" , line 163, in unpack_ebook
File "calibre_plugins.mobiunpack_plugin.utilities", line 211, in unpackMOBI
File "calibre_plugins.mobiunpack_plugin.mobiunpack.mobi _unpack", line 970, in unpackBook
File "calibre_plugins.mobiunpack_plugin.mobiunpack.mobi _unpack", line 675, in process_all_mobi_headers
File "calibre_plugins.mobiunpack_plugin.mobiunpack.mobi _unpack", line 259, in loadSection
MemoryError
This is running the latest Calibre and the latest mobi-unpack on a machine with 12GB of memory. I did try restarting Calibre and repeating the test, with identical results.

The test file is only four pages long, with only a few lines on each page.

The mobi file is generated by the latest InDesign Plugin, v0.971.

Last edited by Tugger; 09-14-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #51
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger View Post
The test file is only four pages long, with only a few lines on each page.

I suggest you post your test file as an attachment to a message. Assuming that the text in it isn't from a commercial in-copyright source.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #52
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm sorry to report I'm getting errors again, even though it does appear to be partly working. It created the mobi7 folder with all its files, and the .zip file, and the mobi8 folder and subfolders, but not the files in those folders.

This is with a tiny test file, which I could easily email to you if you give me an email address. The error message reads:
Quote:
calibre, version 0.8.69
ERROR: MobiUnpack - The Plugin v0.5.4:

File "calibre_plugins.mobiunpack_plugin.mobiunpack. mobi _unpack", line 970, in unpackBook
File "calibre_plugins.mobiunpack_plugin.mobiunpack. mobi _unpack", line 675, in process_all_mobi_headers
File "calibre_plugins.mobiunpack_plugin.mobiunpack. mobi _unpack", line 259, in loadSection
MemoryError
Call me crazy, but isn't that the exact same error you were getting previously? The one that fixed itself and started working fine from then on?

Quote:
calibre, version 0.8.62
ERROR: MobiUnpack - The Plugin v0.5.1:

File "calibre_plugins.mobiunpack_plugin.mobiunpack. mobi _unpack", line 950, in unpackBook
File "calibre_plugins.mobiunpack_plugin.mobiunpack. mobi _unpack", line 664, in process_all_mobi_headers
File "calibre_plugins.mobiunpack_plugin.mobiunpack. mobi _unpack", line 253, in loadSection
MemoryError
Followed shortly by:
Quote:
Inexplicably the plugin now works perfectly every time. Even on the same book that it failed on before. Baffling.
I'll happily take a look the test file if you attach it, but I'm thinking that just like the last time... something other than the MobiUnpack plugin is at fault here. Perhaps the InDesign plugin produces buggy MOBIs under certain conditions? There has to be a reason it's (the InDesign plugin) still considered beta.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-14-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #53
Goldenrod
Goldenrod began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I always get the no suitable format to unpack
Goldenrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #54
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenrod View Post
I always get the no suitable format to unpack
The plugin only works with MOBIs and MOBI variants. EPUB, LIT, HTMLZ, LRF, PDF, PDB ... none of these formats are "suitable to unpack." That message just means no MOBI, AZW, AZW3, AZW4, or PRC format was found for that particular ebook in your calibre library.

If you deal primarily with ePub or other non-MOBI-ish formats, this plugin probably won't seem very handy to you.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-14-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #55
Goldenrod
Goldenrod began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I select a mobi book in my library, then I go to the mobi-unpack and I have this message. For my epubs, I simply select explode epub. is there something I am doing wrong?
Goldenrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #56
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

That particular message should only be displayed when the book has no MOBI format (MOBI, AZW, AZW3, AZW4, or PRC), or the plugin can't properly parse the MOBI header info.

One or two really old (or badly malformed) MOBIs... I can see that happening, but if it gives you that message for every single MOBI you've ever tried it on, then something else is going on. How many are we talking about? Are they really mobi's, or do they just have the .mobi extension?
Old 09-15-2012, 05:53 AM   #57
Tugger
Connoisseur

Yes, it does look like the same error as before, the one that went away by itself.

But now it is back.

I can't see any way to attach a file here, so I have uploaded it to my own place on the web. You can download it from there:

The mobi with the problem
Old 09-15-2012, 06:01 AM   #58
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Yes, it does look like the same error as before, the one that went away by itself.
The file you linked to unpacks fine for me.

Win 7 x64
Calibre 0.8.69
MobiUnpack 0.5.4

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-15-2012 at 06:04 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:03 AM   #59
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Sorry, but your test mobi unpacked fine for me with the current plugin, too. There has to be something else in play here. But I can't imagine what.

P.S. You'll also want to be careful about distributing licensed fonts. Obviously not a huge deal in a test file, but something to keep in mind, regardless.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-15-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:37 AM   #60
Tugger
Connoisseur

That is very very strange. Same operating system (Win 7 64bit), same version of Calibre, same version of plugin, same file to unpack. And I tried closing Calibre then running it again with the same result. And I'm only using about 3GB of the 12GB in the machine. Now what do I do?

Tags
mobi2mobi