Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-18-2020, 07:23 PM   #121
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Spectrum finally offered the first Van der Valk episode on-demand so we got to see it today. I was expecting more of a Scandinavian Noir show but all in all not bad. Liked the quantum physics banter - if I heard right, when Lucienne asked about his date he said she was obsessed with Planck length?
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:48 AM   #122
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Earlier this week I watched the new Perry Mason series, which I really liked. I can't remember the original so I can't compare it. But I liked the gritty, noir version.

Otherwise I still can't settle on anything, so I'm still watching paranormal shows.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:35 AM   #123
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Earlier this week I watched the new Perry Mason series, which I really liked. I can't remember the original so I can't compare it. But I liked the gritty, noir version.

Otherwise I still can't settle on anything, so I'm still watching paranormal shows.
We don't have HBO but hopefully they'll release PM on DVD before too long and one of my libraries will pick it up.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:34 AM   #124
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Matthew Rhys was good in Perry Mason.

I watched 2 episodes of Van der Valk and one of Last Tango in Halifax.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:09 PM   #125
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

I'm 3 eps in to The Truth Will Out. A Swedish detective returns to work after a long medical recovery, is put in charge of a new cold case unit, and is assigned a team of total misfits. The setup seems like a thinly disguised ripoff of Adler-Olsen's Dept. Q but actually not bad so far - lots of sinister undercurrents.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:32 PM   #126
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just finished Away, on Netflix. I thought it was good and really enjoyed it. Hopefully it gets a second season to see how the story continues.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:32 AM   #127
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I'm 3 eps in to The Truth Will Out. A Swedish detective returns to work after a long medical recovery, is put in charge of a new cold case unit, and is assigned a team of total misfits. The setup seems like a thinly disguised ripoff of Adler-Olsen's Dept. Q but actually not bad so far - lots of sinister undercurrents.
For all the suspense they built up, this ended without much punch.

Now we're halfway through The Schouwendam 12 which is off to a very good start. A child who went missing 25 years before shows up with no memory, DNA fails to confirm his identity, and townspeople immediately start getting murdered for no apparent reason. If the 2nd half doesn't disappoint I'll be highly recommending it.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:51 AM   #128
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
I'm watching this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:48 AM   #129
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post

Now we're halfway through The Schouwendam 12 which is off to a very good start. A child who went missing 25 years before shows up with no memory, DNA fails to confirm his identity, and townspeople immediately start getting murdered for no apparent reason. If the 2nd half doesn't disappoint I'll be highly recommending it.
I can't say I liked the way this ended but they did use the last episode to do a pretty good wrap up. I can't be sure but I suspect that if I watched again knowing the ending I would see some glaring inconsistencies in the main character's behavior.

We then watched the Irish miniseries Taken Down - not bad but rather depressing, involving exploitation of refugees.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:43 PM   #130
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

Watched 3 pretty good series:

Mystery Road S1 - Australian

L'Accident - French

Trapped - Iceland

Also watching some of the old Fry/Laurie Jeeves & Wooster series...
Old 10-12-2020, 12:47 AM   #131
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Right now I am watching "The Circus" on Showtime about the past week in the presidential campaign. This one was good. The fly that landed on Pence's head during the debate was a small part of it.

Earlier I watched Last Tango in Halifax finale and episode 2 of The Good Lord Bird on Showtime.

Been watching the Great British Baking Show on netflix. Still in season 1.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:41 PM   #132
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

With my toothache and subsequent root canal (to be finished on Thursday) going on since last week I haven't been in the mood to watch anything complicated.So I'm still binging on paranormal shows on Dplay, in the past weeks they've added more to the section. I'm planning on starting The Haunting of Bly Manor (based on The Turn of the Screw) on Netflix this weekend.

When I went to my sister we watched two movies, Emma., which my sister liked better than I did. And Enola Holmes, which we both really enjoyed.

On Halloween I'm going to her place again, so we have to decide what to watch. She isn't into horror, but I do want to watch something appropriate for the date.
Old 11-03-2020, 03:48 AM   #133
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Streaming a show I missed on the BBC when it was shown; 'The Last Kingdom' based on Bernard Cornwells series of books. True historical settings and events, laced with the adventures of the fictional 'hero'. Good stuff if you care for this kind of thing!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:10 AM   #134
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by timebug View Post
Streaming a show I missed on the BBC when it was shown; 'The Last Kingdom' based on Bernard Cornwells series of books. True historical settings and events, laced with the adventures of the fictional 'hero'. Good stuff if you care for this kind of thing!
I'm on the hold list for LK S4 - hope to get it before too long.

Watched Flesh and Blood on PBS -good enough that I don't feel like I wasted my time watching but that's about it.

We're now finishing up S4 of Spiral, described as Law & Order in France. Never watched L&O so I can't say if that's accurate. Main characters are police, lawyers and judges dealing with guns, drugs, illegal immigration, and corrupt bureaucracy. And of course their personal lives are train wrecks. It's an interestingly and surprisingly (to me) unflattering view of French society, almost third-worldish in some ways.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:28 PM   #135
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

Finished S6 of Spiral; hopefully Prime will get S7 before too long. Then watchd the miniseries Mobile which was farfetched but OK - good cast included Michael Kitchen, Samantha Bond and Julie Graham.

My library just came through with Last Kingdom S4 so that's up next. Unfortunately no recap on the DVD and it's been a long time since I watched S3 - hope I can remember what's going on.

We missed Big Sky last night so waiting for it to show up in On Demand - we love Katheryn Winnick and so have high hopes but low expectations given its ABC home.

My wife is also a huge Oak Island fan so glad for its return.