Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-31-2011, 11:01 PM   #91
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
BTW, we're not actually in disagreement about the Sony - I wouldn't recommend one either to the original poster. As I said before, I'd get one which encourages open source development, like Pocketbook and BeBook do.
Aw, c'mon... but of course I caught that!

Disagreement, if there ever was one, was with certain friendly and ever-polite moderator who frequents these parts of the forum. For a brief moment I thought that he is unhappy with my... well... assertive tone directed toward certain corporate entity. I happen to believe that said corporate entity can not be (horrors!) granted rights and privileges of card-carrying member of MR, and is, therefore, a fair game for (verbal) dissection. I also happen to be a one of (77, was that a final number?) millions of happy recipients of this e-mail. A very important event which can be, with a healthy dose of paranoia and a pinch of conspiracy theory traced back to a remote and now forgotten relation to Linux and Open Source in general.

And nothing ever spices internet discussions as a dose of paranoia and hint of conspiracy theory, don't you think?
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:33 PM   #92
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
I have been looking at the Pocketbook 602 (which as I understand it is the same as the 302, just with a different screen finish? - will this be as easy to read as a typical eInk screen?).

I'm sort of confused on whether this has touch or not? What sort of firmware comes on it?

P.S. This does notes and bookmarks as well, yeah? How well do these features work?

Is there a way to disable the automatic accelerometer so that it only switches orientation when I tell it to?

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 08-31-2011 at 11:46 PM.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:53 AM   #93
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I think you're talking about the Pocketbook 602/603. They are the same devices with the difference that the 603 has a wacom touch screen and a pen. But as it is wacom you can't use it with your fingers, only with the pen. But the screen quality is the same, it's not degraded because of the wacom layer.

Bookmarks are no problem, note taking is. I would recommend to wait at least until the next firmware update appears. Pocketbook promised it to have working annotations in epub and pdf files. And tomorrow a new Pocketbook 612 will be introduced at the technical fair IFA in Berlin.

Yes, you can switch off the automatic accelerometer. Most of the people who have the accelerometer switched on use it to turn pages with a movement of their wrist, without pressing any button. Sounds funny.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:44 AM   #94
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Wacom screens are really, really good for note taking and annotation. They are the most accurate of all the different touchscreen technologies.

ETA: The BeBook Neo also has a Wacom screen. Note taking works very well on that.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-01-2011 at 03:55 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #95
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Not sure if it matters to the original poster or not but if you read other languages the new Kobo firmware update (which takes care of some bugs) has also added translation dictionaries for English to French, German, Spanish, and Italian as well as the other way (French to English etc) which works for all epubs (kobo and others).

As well as the ability to set your lanuage preferences on the reader as whole to one of those languages. Nice for those of us who occasionally read things other than English!
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #96
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_a_smith View Post
Not sure if it matters to the original poster or not but if you read other languages the new Kobo firmware update (which takes care of some bugs) has also added translation dictionaries for English to French, German, Spanish, and Italian as well as the other way (French to English etc) which works for all epubs (kobo and others).

As well as the ability to set your lanuage preferences on the reader as whole to one of those languages. Nice for those of us who occasionally read things other than English!
Can't say that it does. Embarrassingly, I am so obsessed with English that I've never become competent in another language despite having traveled for years.

But that is cool. And also good to see the responsive firmware updates are continuing. I've been watching the Kobo subforum a bit and have been a bit worried about a reported reset glitch that seems to have been around for a while. Has that been addressed?
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #97
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
Can't say that it does. Embarrassingly, I am so obsessed with English that I've never become competent in another language despite having traveled for years.

But that is cool. And also good to see the responsive firmware updates are continuing. I've been watching the Kobo subforum a bit and have been a bit worried about a reported reset glitch that seems to have been around for a while. Has that been addressed?
It was supposed to and some are starting to report that it has (the problem didn't affect everyone). The next couple of days as the update rolls out will bring a more definite answer.

I must say I have been impressed by the firmware updates which expand what the Kobo can do. You expect fixes so it is a nice surprise to discover added features because of an update. Since they still have a team working I expect to see more updates in the future. There are hints of new features (the ability to annotate and do searches within books are most hoped for) but only time will tell if or when they arrive.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:31 AM   #98
mjdb
Kiwi Member
mjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-books

Device: NAEB Bookeen Cybook Gen3, eBookman
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
There are no DRM free stores for books sold by mainstream publishers.
[snip]
Maybe not mainstream Fiction, but if you are interested in Speculative Fiction, one of the Major SF Publishers is Baen, who have been selling all their titles as eBooks without DRM from their own store since 1999.

As well as giving away lots of free eBooks in their Free Library and on the numerous Baen CD-ROMs, the contents of which are DRM free and can be legally copied and shared.

Martin.
mjdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #99
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdb View Post
Maybe not mainstream Fiction, but if you are interested in Speculative Fiction, one of the Major SF Publishers is Baen, who have been selling all their titles as eBooks without DRM from their own store since 1999.

As well as giving away lots of free eBooks in their Free Library and on the numerous Baen CD-ROMs, the contents of which are DRM free and can be legally copied and shared.

Martin.
Add to the fact that they offer bundles which means you can get new releases for about $4 each and they have a tremendous catalogue to choose from I often find myself wishing that other publishers would be so e-friendly.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:06 AM   #100
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in here, but any reason you're not going with a Nook color with CM7 installed, and one of the reading apps from the market? Seems like about as close to open source as you're going to get

They've been on sale as refurbs and such for as cheap as $150.

I'm an e-ink guy myself, but my NC is a pretty nice device with CM7 on it.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #101
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
I think the OP was saying he wants E-ink. And while I love my NC, my only complaint is that it's really heavy, I've never used it without CM7 so it's UI may suck bagels(to coin a phrase) and I'd never know.

So Smoke and Mirrors, I think you will probably love whichever one you buy so long as you know what to expect. I loooveed my Sony 350 so much I gave/sold it to my little sister so she could have an ereader and bought a 950. I also bought an old Sony 300 for my grandmother and am probably going to give my parents each one of the new Sony T1s for Christmas(if I can get my siblings to contribute and it gets good reviews). Now, from this you might say that I'm a bit Sony-centric and you'd be right. I love collections and no restrictions on side-loading and have so far managed to avoid most DRM. I've bought 2 books from major publishers (with DRM) and checked out many library books, but everything else comes from DRM-free sources so you can avoid DRM if you want to and don't want to read any of the major publishers' books that aren't available through the library.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote